SVS 2000 Series Subwoofers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And like I said the output is not important to me, its not HT its music and the dual sb12's I have will easily drown out my csb1s with 200w each, they also have no trouble surpassing the output of my jade 5's which get loud fast.. So for music you don't need much output, I like the low end strong but not unnaturally balanced, just a little hot to fill larger rooms and that doesnt take much I think a nice 10-15" 100-250watt sub would do more than enough, so the sb12s were great...
Yeah I am not on the same page as you here, I like to blaze some jungle, drum and bass, breakbeat, dubstep, electro, hip hop, techno, and lots of other bass heavy music. This type of music is more demanding of subs than movies, because the bass can be sustained in this music, but movie effects are short transient sounds, sometimes loud and deep but rarely continuous. A sub will be more affected by thermal compression with continuous bass. The SB12 does pretty well with thermal compression, you can see this from the minimal difference in SPL between the long term output and short burst tests. I don't know how much this has to do with the limiter as opposed to the driver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I honestly would have bought the sb1000 if it came in piano when I bought my sb12's, they have piano white, but no black? And its an additional $100 which is a lot for a finish upgrade on a 14" cube... Ed Mullen gave me a great deal on my pair of piano nsd's, I think it was $1100 shipped, which I feel is a lot of sub for a little over a thousand bucks... To me the sb1000 is a go to music 2.2 sub system for $950, I am going to play with the sb2000's but Ill bet there is no huge difference in music, although now it looks like the sb2000 will be a good contender for someone who wants a nice HT set {in dual drive of course}...
I think going for the NSD was a good choice. I am skeptical of the driver used in the 1000. A driver needs force to move around in a small sealed enclosure, and how could such a light and small sub have a formidable driver? I bet you a detailed set of measurements would reveal some pretty serious compromises that would make you think twice about it.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I am not on the same page as you here, I like to blaze some jungle, drum and bass, breakbeat, dubstep, electro, hip hop, techno, and lots of other bass heavy music. This type of music is more demanding of subs than movies, because the bass can be sustained in this music, but movie effects are short transient sounds, sometimes loud and deep but rarely continuous. A sub will be more affected by thermal compression with continuous bass. The SB12 does pretty well with thermal compression, you can see this from the minimal difference in SPL between the long term output and short burst tests. I don't know how much this has to do with the limiter as opposed to the driver.

Maybe I worded that wrong, I know ht uses short bursts, and music is sustained, but the short ht bursts are LOUD compared to the level of the mains, where in music it is more balanced, I am not going to run my subs at 120db and the mains at 70, My ht sub shakes the house, when I am listening to music the house isn't shaking, its just playing the notes... I always tell people if you are looking for LOUD, get cerwin vegas or EV's, if you want strong and clear get your self a nice set of bookshelfs or towers with a couple nice subs, my 2.2 systems dont go loud by any means, sure they can go loud but in the large rooms they are not "club" loud, now my Pro EV/Peavey setup is LOUD, but I wouldn't call it great sounding...

For example the gain on my vtf2's in my ht are set to 1/2 way and the gain in my 2.2 music only systems are set to around 1/4 way and sometimes I turn that down, I like strong bass but not super out of balance, my brother boosts his subs so much you can hardley hear the mains, and I think it sounds terrible...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Rumor has it that the PB-2000 has a 3db advantage over the PB12-NSD so will have to see if the measurements confirm or deny. It looks like the new grills are more flush than the NSD which is an improvement as there was too much of a gap IMO between the grill and driver on the NSD series. I also like that like the 1000 series, the amps have a 12v trigger which will keep the sub on at low listening levels. I only wish they would offer the subs in real wood finishes and others.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC, they didn't have wood finishes on the previous generation either (?), so not sure they will on the new ones.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
hmm, was going to buy another pb12 nsd this weekend. But then i would have to sell my other one to buy 2 of the new 2000's. Plus i hate that wood veneer look….

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
hmm, was going to buy another pb12 nsd this weekend. But then i would have to sell my other one to buy 2 of the new 2000's. Plus i hate that wood veneer look….
The pb12s are on sale now as are the sb12, I would buy them over the 2000 until them are gone.. pb12 for $650 not too shabby...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
PB12 NSD are 700, still a good price though.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
$650 for this one PB12-NSD-OUTLET why is everyone being so difficult today.... You can get them for $650..
Dont think anyone is trying to be difficult, just accurate:

PB12-NSD $699; accurate

PB12-NSD $650; not accurate

PB12-NSD outlet(meaning a return or something) $650; accurate.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
i live in canada, local supplier for svs sells pb12 ned for $749 can, and because I'm a returning customer i get a 5% discount, or a b stock for a 15% discount

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Dont think anyone is trying to be difficult, just accurate:

PB12-NSD $699; accurate

PB12-NSD $650; not accurate

PB12-NSD outlet(meaning a return or something) $650; accurate.

What is not accurate about what i posted, the pb12 can be bought for $650, they are all outlet.... you have to go to the outlet page to see both prices, as long as we are being "accurate" :rolleyes: ...

T

TheLaw612

Audioholic Intern
What is not accurate about what i posted, the pb12 can be bought for $650, they are all outlet.... you have to go to the outlet page to see both prices, as long as we are being "accurate" :rolleyes: ...
Yes but what others are trying to say is that the $650 price is a RECONDITIONED PB12 but the actual NEW price that SVS is selling them off for is $699.

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I thought it was mentioned that the PB-2000 has a 30-40% increase in output over the NSD which would translate to 2-2.5db increase? Seems like a fairly solid gain and I also like the 17hz tune. The new grill looks attractive as well.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I thought it was mentioned that the PB-2000 has a 30-40% increase in output over the NSD which would translate to 2-2.5db increase? Seems like a fairly solid gain and I also like the 17hz tune. The new grill looks attractive as well.
Hrm didn't realize they changed the grille. I always thought the metal grille looks cool as hell. I did notice once I got my pb12 that the grille does stick out quite a ways. I ordered the PB2000 Tuesday. I got excited when fedex said the expected delivery date was today but...looks like they are not ready to ship yet :(

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Hrm didn't realize they changed the grille. I always thought the metal grille looks cool as hell. I did notice once I got my pb12 that the grille does stick out quite a ways. I ordered the PB2000 Tuesday. I got excited when fedex said the expected delivery date was today but...looks like they are not ready to ship yet :(
Hey btw Tom V. replied to your post on Hometheatreshack.com.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis