Surge Supressor/Power Conditioner/Power Center --> What do I need?

M

Magoo

Audioholic Intern
I am really having a tough time understanding what I *should* get for my system (Currently Pio 1130 plasma, Pio 74txvi receiver, satellite-tivo, and a still undetermined dvd player. Will be adding sub and seperate amps later).
Dealer wants to sell me Monster HTS 2600 or Panamax Max 5100. I did a quick search here, and I see APC H10 mentioned and the Audioholics recommended Tripp Lite HT10DBS....
Is there FAQs on this subject somewhere? Or can someone give me a basic education so I can make a good decision on this....
:confused:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Magoo said:
I am really having a tough time understanding what I *should* get for my system (Currently Pio 1130 plasma, Pio 74txvi receiver, satellite-tivo, and a still undetermined dvd player. Will be adding sub and seperate amps later).
Dealer wants to sell me Monster HTS 2600 or Panamax Max 5100. I did a quick search here, and I see APC H10 mentioned and the Audioholics recommended Tripp Lite HT10DBS....
Is there FAQs on this subject somewhere? Or can someone give me a basic education so I can make a good decision on this....
:confused:

One thing to remember off the starting block is the financial interest that the dealer has in his recommendations.

Most li8kely all you really need is a surge suppressor, like the Tripp Lite that even Consumer Reports rated well a number of years ago.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Many surge suppressors don't cover lightening strikes. Try to find ones that do. Also make sure all connections go though the supressor. Lightening can find its way through your cable line, into your tv, and back to the receiver.

I'm with mtry, all you really need is a good surge suppressor. These get pricey, but they'll protect everything.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&N=2984+7004&MID=9876&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&cm_ven=hd_goog&cm_cat=Search&cm_pla=D-27E&cm_ite=bid10503201-surge_suppressor

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I just want to say that I don't regret having my Monster Power Center's inline with my A/V gear. It's a pretty penny spent on the gear and when I first connected things I was experiencing a horrible ground loop from the incoming cable. I then routed the cable through the Power Center and immediately the signal was cleaned up.

I think surge supression is vital, but likewise, the cleaning up of power to your equipment to provide the best possible sound and video seems like something that shouldn't be overlooked.

But, I would never pay full retail either.

eBay is my starting point for many A/V purchases.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:
... when I first connected things I was experiencing a horrible ground loop from the incoming cable. I then routed the cable through the Power Center and immediately the signal was cleaned up.

There are less expensive solutions for just such a ground loop issue, about $5 or less, a TV cable isolator.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I have a Monster HTS2600 and I love mine. While I cannot say it does all of the things it cliams to do, I do feel better knowing that my equipment is safer than without it. The only thing I do not like is the fact that it is too bright as far as the LEDs go on the front. I wish there was a dimmer switch :)

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Using Belkin PureAV PF40

While I know that many people have opinions one way or the other for these things, I just want to say that I have my PureAV PF40 with my home theater upstairs and plan to get something similar for the "real" theater downstairs when I begin building it. The main reason to do so now is that so many parts of the A/V system are sensitive to drastic changes in current. With all the money one spends on a good setup, a little ensuring that power is "cleaned up" is well worth the investment. Don't forget too that now there are many things that are powered up all over a house. People have multiple TVs, computers, networking equipment, all kinds of appliances, charging stations, etc. It wasn't a big necessity when all you had were a hand full of those things and most everything was analog. If you turn a computer off and on repeatedly, that is taxing on the system as well so I would go with any of the better power conditioning systems. It is offers a good amount of protection for sensitive digital equipment and is great at cleaning noise from your equipment. Just my $0.02

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
edwelly said:
I have a Monster HTS2600 and I love mine. While I cannot say it does all of the things it cliams to do, I do feel better knowing that my equipment is safer than without it. The only thing I do not like is the fact that it is too bright as far as the LEDs go on the front. I wish there was a dimmer switch :)
My Panamax has a dimmer for the LEDs. Maybe you should sell that guy...:)

Forget the dealer, pick up a 5100 cheap at www.powersystemsdirect.com

M

Magoo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback, and the links.
The powersystemsdirect site has some good explanations to go with their products. That site has been the most helpful (thus far) for me.
I'll be getting at least a decent surge protector.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Instead of spending $200-$300 on a fancy suppressor/filter, why not have an electrician wire up 1 or 2 dedicated circuits for you equipment?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Electone, the proper thing would be to have both dedicated circuits and line protection.

M

Magoo

Audioholic Intern
Electone said:
Instead of spending $200-$300 on a fancy suppressor/filter, why not have an electrician wire up 1 or 2 dedicated circuits for you equipment?
jaxvon said:
Electone, the proper thing would be to have both dedicated circuits and line protection.
I do have a dedicated circuit for my system. I think I should still have at least a surge protector. Still wondering about the necessity of a power conditioner, though.

J

JeffreyDurbin

Audiophyte
Monster HTS5000

I think Monster is horribly overpriced. BUT, I think their products are very good quality.

I saw an HTS5000 on www.uBid.com two weeks ago for $300 marked down from an MSRP of $600. That brings it about to where it should be priced. That's for new equipment.

As for eBay, never buy used power equipment. MOVs wear out from repeated fluctuations in the current and you never know what the previous owner did with it. Always buy new (except when I decide to unload my HTS5000 of course!) ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis