Sumiko Rainier Cartridge

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How does that Olympia stand up to the Ortofon Blue? I'd like to know if it is considered to be better!
I don't know- haven't heard one, just wondering why you decided against using the Sumiko.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't know- haven't heard one, just wondering why you decided against using the Sumiko.
I like my Ortofon Blue. I guess I need to be convinced the Sumiko is better. I am inclined to keep the one I know is good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With a cartridge, that there are generally no detailed measurements for, isn't it better to just give it a shot and see what your preferences choose?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Could be. But I want to use the O Blue and sell the other tt with a new cart for hopefully top $$.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be. But I want to use the O Blue and sell the other tt with a new cart for hopefully top $$.
Well, if you're going to set it up on the different tt, won't you have to play it a bit in any case?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I will switch them. But also, I will play the old tt just to make sure the new cart works before I list it for sale. So, I will take a listen just for sh--ts and giggles at that time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will switch them. But also, I will play the old tt just to make sure the new cart works before I list it for sale. So, I will take a listen just for sh--ts and giggles at that time.
May as well take the opportunity. I've got two pre-amps that have dual phono inputs that could help with quick switching, but you'd still have to figure out level matching, and ability to play same vinyl.....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
May as well take the opportunity. I've got two pre-amps that have dual phono inputs that could help with quick switching, but you'd still have to figure out level matching, and ability to play same vinyl.....
I have a phono pre-amp I could hook up and at least a couple sets of dupes that are mint in my collection if I went that route.

highfigh

highfigh

I like my Ortofon Blue. I guess I need to be convinced the Sumiko is better. I am inclined to keep the one I know is good.
Makes sense, but it's good to keep an open mind- I hadn't listened to a Sumiko and was pleasantly surprised. IIRC, that was their Pearl- not sure it's still in the lineup.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Makes sense, but it's good to keep an open mind- I hadn't listened to a Sumiko and was pleasantly surprised. IIRC, that was their Pearl- not sure it's still in the lineup.
I will have the Olympia stylus as a free upgrade. So it is worthwhile to check. Perhaps I will do the side by side test tonight that Lovin suggested.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
On second thought, side by side wouldn't be a fair test since my tt pre amp is a cheap one.

highfigh

highfigh

On second thought, side by side wouldn't be a fair test since my tt pre amp is a cheap one.
It may be cheap, but using only one for the test eliminates a variable, so the test will be as fair as possible without buying a more expensive one.

The fact that you posted about it being cheap begs the question- what improvement do you expect to hear from one cartridge vs the other? Also, if you're going to remove one cartridge and compare it with another, you'll need to set up the second one before playing it because a mis-aligned cartridge is a bad way to do a listening test. This takes time and it eliminates your memory of the first cartridge's sound to be totally accurate. Listening to one recording isn't going to show everything that any cartridge can do, unless it's a pristine copy and/or a great test record.

If you do this, I would avoid worrying about "Is this the best I can have?" and listen with the knowledge that they WILL sound different. Once that's out of the way, you have the choices of listening to enjoy or listening to analyze. If you can enjoy the sound quickly, you win- constantly thinking about what you're listening through/with takes away from enjoying the music, IMO.

I don't know about you, but I don't like to think about the equipment while I listen- when I do that, it's to hear the details in order to make a decision about whether I want to sell it but what I consciously do is not care whether it sounds better or worse. Caring may be sharing in other aspects of life, but in a comparison like this, I find that it intrudes on my ability to listen only to the sound. Knowing what is being used intrudes on the listening.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have an RZ50, so I don't use my tt pre amp. It's in a box somewhere. I was encouraged to at least give the Sukima a shot, so that is what I am going to try. If it sounds the same to my ears (or better) as the O Blue, then I'll keep it since its new and also an upgrade will be on the way.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Need opinions here. I have the new one all set up and hooked up to the RZ50. The old one still has the O Blue mounted. Shall I go ahead and use my cheapie pre-amp as an A/B test? I have very 80's pop sounding LP duplicate, both mint that I can use. Amy Grant's "Unguarded". Has some rocking tunes, believe it or not. (go ahead and check on youtube. It's good!)
Would this be an ok test? It (the pre-amp) sounded good when I had to use it briefly before I got the RZ50.

edit: I just read highfigh's reply again. I was working when I originally read it. Thx Highfigh.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need opinions here. I have the new one all set up and hooked up to the RZ50. The old one still has the O Blue mounted. Shall I go ahead and use my cheapie pre-amp as an A/B test? I have very 80's pop sounding LP duplicate, both mint that I can use. Amy Grant's "Unguarded". Has some rocking tunes, believe it or not. (go ahead and check on youtube. It's good!)
Would this be an ok test? It (the pre-amp) sounded good when I had to use it briefly before I got the RZ50.

edit: I just read highfigh's reply again. I was working when I originally read it. Thx Highfigh.
If you have a pre-amp that allows level matching and quick switching, by all means use it, at least it will be a level playing field so to speak. Many inexpensive phono pre-amps do very well when tested....which one is it?

highfigh

highfigh

If the new turntable has a phone preamp, I would start by using that and with the other turntable on the better preamp, so let it sound as good as possible. If the new turntable sounds as good or better, demo that and after you get used to the sound, switch to the same preamp the older turntable was using. If you hear an improvement, you'll know that the outboard preamp is better/better for the music demo'd.

I would think Amy Grant's music is recorded well- a lot of the music I use for demo is acoustic instruments like piano, well recorded acoustic guitar, drums, horns....anyone can get interesting sounds with electric instruments but acoustic instruments that were recorded well reveal more to me, as someone who plays electric & acoustic guitar as well as electric bass and when I have access, Mandolin. I really like the sound on Keb' Mo's recordings and if you have any Allison Krauss & Union Station, that should be good for this comparison, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis