Votes: 5 71.4%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
What do you mean by AC requirements? Like my countries wattage from the power outlets? It would be the same as USA

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I mostly agree with lovinthehd. An AVR from accessoies4less, Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers, and a Dayton sub (maybe a different one than the one in the link) should get you where you want to be for $700. The system in my signature (not counting the computer) cost me less than $700. Peace and goodwill.
Agreed, Accessories 4less is a great place for your budget, you can't go wrong, don't rush yourself, ALL you guys are a great support for knowledge and directions...Thanks to "ALL"...CHEERS

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Didn't know you were in Canada. If you have a US based place across the border to take deliveries that can open up some options. Subs IMO are very much worth having, having not been aware of their awesomeness for many years myself and that many "full range" speakers aren't nearly as capable plus the positioning advantage of separate subs. It somewhat depends on your tastes in movies/music as to whether or not you'll find them of particular value, tho. Did you click on the links for a sub and avr I provided?
I've been looking at Sub options and this came across on promotion. http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=162&productId=581&sku=PSW111 . Any suggestions on having this for subs? I like the fact that it is a more compact size compared to others as I do not need or have too much space for large subs. The price on the link is in CAD as well so it is well within budget.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got an 8" ported sub (Energy ESW8) with the Energy Take 5 set I got for a small bedroom, and it was just okay used that way with its limited extension and spl capabilities; in a large room it just doesn't come close to cutting it for me. I'd rather have a larger Dayton, at least a 12", two would be better, in a room your size. I care more about the performance rather than the box size, too. I currently have four large subs (15 & 18" drivers) in my living room....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider yourself very lucky...or single. That would never get past SWMBO here. :D
Being single has its advantages...effectively retired at 48, which would have not been the case with a wife (let alone wives) and/or kids...

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good for you. I'm quite happy with the love of my life, over 36 years married, and our (now) adult children. My sub woofer my be minimal, but small price to pay for the love I share with so many.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That very phrase SWMBO just would never fly with me....congrats on being happy with it!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, she's always been VERY accommodating of my hobbies. This audio thing, motorcycles, and at one time, cigars. More reason to love her.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
I got an 8" ported sub (Energy ESW8) with the Energy Take 5 set I got for a small bedroom, and it was just okay used that way with its limited extension and spl capabilities; in a large room it just doesn't come close to cutting it for me. I'd rather have a larger Dayton, at least a 12", two would be better, in a room your size. I care more about the performance rather than the box size, too. I currently have four large subs (15 & 18" drivers) in my living room....
Any recommendation for a 10" sub?
I checked out the 12" subs at the store and it seems like it would take up too much space. I know you recommend a 12" for my size but would the compromise to a 10" be big? Either way, any recommendations on subs near the same price range as the Daytons 1200? Some food for thought :D

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Any recommendation for a 10" sub?
I checked out the 12" subs at the store and it seems like it would take up too much space. I know you recommend a 12" for my size but would the compromise to a 10" be big? Either way, any recommendations on subs near the same price range as the Daytons 1200? Some food for thought :D
Yes there will be big difference between 10" and 12". At the same price range as Dayton 1200, no there is nothing that will compete with them. Just get the Dayton 1200's and you wont regret even if it takes little bit more space, performance will be much better than any smaller sub in price range.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Yes there will be big difference between 10" and 12". At the same price range as Dayton 1200, no there is nothing that will compete with them. Just get the Dayton 1200's and you wont regret even if it takes little bit more space, performance will be much better than any smaller sub in price range.
Hmmm okay thanks. If my price range can be bumped to that of BIC F12 or BIC V1220, I should get either of those, correct? Is even the BIC V1020 inferior to Dayton 1200? I've been reading many people saying that the Dayton is too boomy.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmmm okay thanks. If my price range can be bumped to that of BIC F12 or BIC V1220, I should get either of those, correct? Is even the BIC V1020 inferior to Dayton 1200? I've been reading many people saying that the Dayton is too boomy.
I would get the Dayton over those BIC personally. Any sub can be boomy when it is located incorrectly or integrated incorrectly. Sub position and intgeration play great part how your sub will sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you really want a big 10" ;) you might save up to $400 mark and look at the RSL Speedwoofer. I'd still get dual Dayton 1200s over a BIC myself altho from what I remember the PL200 or F12 would be the way to go. Got any DIY skills?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, she's always been VERY accommodating of my hobbies. This audio thing, motorcycles, and at one time, cigars. More reason to love her.
Glad that works for you. I don't have to ask for permission for anything, which is the way I prefer it. Suum cuique.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL...you perhaps don't actually know, but the mantra of married men is "easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission." Has worked for me more times than I can count, though being the primary breadwinner it's been useful. I've learned something called "consideration" over the years though. The real upside is having someone with whom to share our lives, our passions and our sorrows. Love is something I just can't get enough of. Or give.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, far too familiar with the marriage thing thru many friends and family, thanks. :) Glad it works for you, it's not for everyone....

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Glad that works for you. I don't have to ask for permission for anything, which is the way I prefer it. Suum cuique.
Ha! A debate more useless than politics or religion. I suspect at times each camp covets the benefits of the other.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Sorry to ressurect this thread.

Would you recommend the Philharmonics AA or the KEF Q100? Would the Q100 be too small for the room size? I found a pretty good deal for the Q100's where the price is almost the same as the AA's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis