Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Hello,
I am new to all this speaker stuff and would like to ask for some recommendations. I have just purchased my first condo and I would like purchase a good set of speakers. I enjoy listening to music as well as movies so I am not sure if I should go with a 2.1 set up or a 5.1 set up. I usually like to listen to deep house, chill music but also like to occasional acoustics and vocal music. I will be living in a wood frame building so having the strongest subs and most powerful speakers are not too important to me.

I have set myself a budget around $700 USD for speakers, subs, amps and all in. I will be setting this up in my living room which is also connected with the dining area. I have attached an image of my floor plan to help put things into perspective. Space is fairly limited so as much as I'd like some strong tower speakers that look cool, it may not be the best choice. Please advise!

Thank you!
Kingsley

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What are your sources? Computer? PS4? Roku? If it were me on that budget, I would go for just a solid couple of bookshelf speakers.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
What are your sources? Computer? PS4? Roku? If it were me on that budget, I would go for just a solid couple of bookshelf speakers.
Sources are mainly computer, Apple TV, cable TV. If I get a couple of bookshelf speakers, will I still need to get a sub? Any recommendations in this price range?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Does your computer have analog audio outputs? If so, I would get a pair of powered monitors like these guys. They will have high sound quality and also decent bass output. This is a solution in which a much greater percentage of your money going into sound quality, rather than a lot of janky electronics like an entry level AVR. If you spread your money out across speakers, and an AVR, and a subwoofer, you will have a lot of stuff, but it wont sound as good. Just getting a pair of powered monitors will make setup simpler and make for a better sound.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Does your computer have analog audio outputs? If so, I would get a pair of powered monitors like these guys. They will have high sound quality and also decent bass output. This is a solution in which a much greater percentage of your money going into sound quality, rather than a lot of janky electronics like an entry level AVR. If you spread your money out across speakers, and an AVR, and a subwoofer, you will have a lot of stuff, but it wont sound as good. Just getting a pair of powered monitors will make setup simpler and make for a better sound.
Hmm... I'm planning to keep my computer in the bedroom and then airplay stuff over to the TV outside the room so an option like this may not work. Essentially was hoping I could connect Apple TV, cable box to amp and amp to TV. Was thinking that since the space isn't too big, I wouldn't need large and powerful speakers which would let it be cheaper no?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
With said budget I would start with stereo pair of speakers and upgrade when your budget allows up to 5.1.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
With said budget I would start with stereo pair of speakers and upgrade when your budget allows up to 5.1.
Seems like the way to go from all that I have read from previous posts with limited budget.

Any suggestions on speakers and amp to complete a set in this price range? I've always liked the looks of tower speakers but they may be too big for my room size.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

For receiver I would look for either Yamaha, Denon or Marantz from http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/3.html that has all the features you need. For example http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

As for speakers. It would be best to audition as many speakers as you can to find what you like and get what sounds best in your budget. As every one prefers different things in sound and hears differently.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html these how ever have really good reviews and many here have liked them for a lot. Perhaps you could ask Dennis how much would it be to get 5.0 setup with those speakers and add sub later when you can.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
For receiver I would look for either Yamaha, Denon or Marantz from http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/3.html that has all the features you need. For example http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

As for speakers. It would be best to audition as many speakers as you can to find what you like and get what sounds best in your budget. As every one prefers different things in sound and hears differently.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html these how ever have really good reviews and many here have liked them for a lot. Perhaps you could ask Dennis how much would it be to get 5.0 setup with those speakers and add sub later when you can.
Would you guys suggest I look for floor standing speakers or bookshelfs for a stereo setup. I worry that floor standing would be too overwhelming for the room size.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Would you guys suggest I look for floor standing speakers or bookshelfs for a stereo setup. I worry that floor standing would be too overwhelming for the room size.
Well, for plain stereo I prefer towers for extended low end, with a sub it doesn't really matter. Your room size shouldn't be a problem for floorstanders as you will hold the volume control. Do you have the floor space for them? As for bookshelf speakers you could use wall mounts if you are tight with space. With bookshelf speakers you could get a better overall sound how ever as you are paying for cabinet in towers as well when in bookshelf speakers more goes on drivers/crossover design generally in same price range. If you can get budget for sub soon I would go foor bookshelf speakers and fill the low end with sub when your budget allows.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Would you guys suggest I look for floor standing speakers
You keep going back to floor standing speakers.
Your budget will not support a decent pair of towers.
Additionally, your budget will not support a decent subwoofer.

You have 2 choices for decent sound within that budget: 5.0 or Stereo.
Either way:
1. Get the cheapest Denon/Marantz/Yamaha 5.1 AVR you can find with the features you want. As mentioned, Accessories4Less is a good source.

2. Get either 2 or 5 Affordable Accuracy speakers from Dennis Murphy at PhilharmonicAudio.com. They are $100 each. Talk to Dennis about your Center Speaker if you choose to go with 5.0.

3. Start saving your money for a decent subwoofer... (~$1k).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any chance of increasing your budget? $700 for even 2.1 is skinny IMO. I think the Affordable Accuracy speakers from Philharmonic are a good idea (I have the BR-1 kit speakers they're based on), with maybe a Dayton sub like this with an avr like this.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I mostly agree with lovinthehd. An AVR from accessoies4less, Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers, and a Dayton sub (maybe a different one than the one in the link) should get you where you want to be for $700. The system in my signature (not counting the computer) cost me less than $700. Peace and goodwill.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Any chance of increasing your budget? $700 for even 2.1 is skinny IMO. I think the Affordable Accuracy speakers from Philharmonic are a good idea (I have the BR-1 kit speakers they're based on), with maybe a Dayton sub like this with an avr like this.
After checking out Philharmonic AA, I think I will settle for those for my speakers. I can definitely increase my budget but I guess I don't want to be over $800 as my upper limit for the purchase. I live in Vancouver Canada so I would need to see how much it costs for the AA's to be shipped to me and picking them up at the border is an option as well.

Do subs make a big difference? I don't need booming sound but some bass would be nice. With the main set of speakers decided on, any suggestions on subs and AVR?

My budget isn't set in stone, just something that I'd like to be around. If need be, it may be changed slightly if it's worth it.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
With that budget you might find (as I did) an open box clearance special on a receiver at a local Best Buy. I got a new Pioneer VSX-530K for $200. I then found a modest sub (BIC F12) and a pair of speakers (Ascend Acoustics CBM170-SE) on Craigslist for another $200, in two separate deals. My center speaker (Martin Logan Motion C) was found in the consignment/trade-in room at my favorite audo dealer. All of it is in flawless, not-a-scratch condition.

My point is you might get better quality gear on the used market for less money and be happier. If those sources aren't available, check internet direct sellers websites for their "recertified" returns at a good discount. Concentrate for now on the main L-R and a sub. Add other pieces as time goes on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After checking out Philharmonic AA, I think I will settle for those for my speakers. I can definitely increase my budget but I guess I don't want to be over $800 as my upper limit for the purchase. I live in Vancouver Canada so I would need to see how much it costs for the AA's to be shipped to me and picking them up at the border is an option as well.

Do subs make a big difference? I don't need booming sound but some bass would be nice. With the main set of speakers decided on, any suggestions on subs and AVR?

My budget isn't set in stone, just something that I'd like to be around. If need be, it may be changed slightly if it's worth it.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!
Didn't know you were in Canada. If you have a US based place across the border to take deliveries that can open up some options. Subs IMO are very much worth having, having not been aware of their awesomeness for many years myself and that many "full range" speakers aren't nearly as capable plus the positioning advantage of separate subs. It somewhat depends on your tastes in movies/music as to whether or not you'll find them of particular value, tho. Did you click on the links for a sub and avr I provided?

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Didn't know you were in Canada. If you have a US based place across the border to take deliveries that can open up some options. Subs IMO are very much worth having, having not been aware of their awesomeness for many years myself and that many "full range" speakers aren't nearly as capable plus the positioning advantage of separate subs. It somewhat depends on your tastes in movies/music as to whether or not you'll find them of particular value, tho. Did you click on the links for a sub and avr I provided?
Yes I do have a place across to border to take deliveries. The AVR looks like it'll meet all my needs! I feel like because my requirements on an AVR are so basic that it should be the last thing I need to worry about buying. Correct me if Im wrong though. The sub looks okay? Im not too sure what to look for in a sub...hahaha :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Is that a Canada dollar or US dollar budget? There seems to be a greater difference these days and you may need to reassess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I do have a place across to border to take deliveries. The AVR looks like it'll meet all my needs! I feel like because my requirements on an AVR are so basic that it should be the last thing I need to worry about buying. Correct me if Im wrong though. The sub looks okay? Im not too sure what to look for in a sub...hahaha :)
The sub I linked is decent quality for the price, and should work well under modest demands, plus is wireless to make it easier to position which can be a nice feature (altho you still have to feed it power whereever you position it)....altho on second thot will those meet your AC requirements?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis