Suggestions for new receiver?

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Zieg, what's your suggestions for a receiver given the speakers and sub I have? The more suggestions I get, the better decision I can make.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
From what I can tell, the difference between the 1912 and 1613 is the number of channels, watts per channel, video upconversion, and HDMI inputs.

The 1613 does not have the upconversion,but I'm not sure I need it. My fiancee wouldn't let me get 7.1, but I'm comfortable staying at 5.1.
So, not to discount your 1912 suggestion,but in your opinion, how does the 1613 stack up against the 1912, leaving out the 2 channel difference.

Would the difference in watts per channel make a difference?
regarding the watts per channel...not really, no.

You could go with the 1613 if you wanted. It's a good choice! :D

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
wow, you guys are fantastic. Thanks so much for your time. It's so good to know there are still helpful people out there who know how to give advice without being condescending. You guys were great.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
oh and another question about receivers. What does RMS rating affect? I see some receivers with 75 RMS continuous and some with 100 RMS continuous. What difference does that make and should I be concerned?

My sub's manual says Recommended power is and I quote from the manual "250 Watts (110/220V RMS (Amplified Power)". In regards to this, do I need to worry about it when choosing a receiver, specifically the Denon 1613? I'm assuming the fact that the sub is powered, it shouldn't matter?

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
wow, you guys are fantastic. Thanks so much for your time. It's so good to know there are still helpful people out there who know how to give advice without being condescending. You guys were great.
So wait...I'm not getting any sexual favors?!

No problem, friend. :D

oh and another question about receivers. What does RMS rating affect? I see some receivers with 75 RMS continuous and some with 100 RMS continuous. What difference does that make and should I be concerned?
Continuous power just means the total amount of power the amp can give off continuously without pooping itself.

Peak is the maximum amount of power it can dish out for a short amount of time.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Nope, no sexual favors. That was last month.lol.

So, with the 1613, I should be good to go with power,right? In other words, the receiver will be powerfull enought to play an action movie (at a reasonable movie volume)without blowing something? Or do you need to know the specs of my speakers? I also edited my reply since you replied.I put in a question about my sub. Sorry if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, just want to be sure that if I get that receiver, it can at least run my set up decently loud.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Nope, no sexual favors. That was last month.lol.
I thought you said compensated. LOL Oh, well!

So, with the 1613, I should be good to go with power,right? In other words, the receiver will be powerfull enought to play an action movie (at a reasonable movie volume)without blowing something? Or do you need to know the specs of my speakers? I also edited my reply since you replied.I put in a question about my sub. Sorry if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, just want to be sure that if I get that receiver, it can at least run my set up decently loud.
You should be fine! Since the sub is powered it doesn't matter at all. The sub doesn't get any power from the receiver. :D

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Somebody suggested to me the Yamaha 473. He says it compares to the Denon 1613 feature wise. What do you guys think of Yamaha vs Denon?
He suggested the Yamaha for ease of use software. But how do they compare technically

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Frankly for me the yamaha vs denon decision down to looks and menu feel. If you've got the time grab the manuals for both of them and take a look at the settings. Both companies make excellent products.

G

Grador

After a brief look at the 1613 and 473 it looks like the only real differences feature wise are smartphone control of the yamaha and pandora on the denon. There are probably some differences in the amount of connections available but I figure you probably already know what you need there.

If neither of those features are important to you these receivers are basically the same except that many people prefer the room correction built into the denon. Personally I do not like room correction so that's a non-issue for me.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info. I don't really use Pandora, so I guess that difference doesn't matter to me. Thanks for your time. I was just worried that Yamaha's weren't as good as Denon, quality wise.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the info. I don't really use Pandora, so I guess that difference doesn't matter to me. Thanks for your time. I was just worried that Yamaha's weren't as good as Denon, quality wise.
Yamaha's are good and reliable but IMO, the Audessey in the Denon is superior to the YPAO in the Yammy

G

Grador

If you're happy with the power output of your current receiver anything will do.

P

Paul Jubick

Enthusiast
I need help too!

I don't know what I am doing. I just wanna great home theater experience for my family. watch movies, 3D movies, music. I have LG 3D 55in smart TV. just bought Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers and now I need a receiver that can bring it together but I would like to keep the price @ $200 to $250. I have been researching some Yamahas rxv471,rxv371bl. Will these give me what I need? please help.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know what I am doing. I just wanna great home theater experience for my family. watch movies, 3D movies, music. I have LG 3D 55in smart TV. just bought Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers and now I need a receiver that can bring it together but I would like to keep the price @ $200 to $250. I have been researching some Yamahas rxv471,rxv371bl. Will these give me what I need? please help.
Yamaha is nice - however, limited power in the lower series.

You do not get good efficiency in surround mode, from the
lower number Yamaha receivers >> however, they may be
enough for you.
Look at this >
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V receiver HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

Now just by hooking up 2 channels - the power begins to drop

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)
100W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)
80W (8ohms, 0.9% THD

Last edited:
G

Grador

I agree that I would avoid the 371, it bugs me enough that they are measuring power at 0.9% THD even before seeing how poor the numbers are.

The power specs on the 473 are a touch misleading, though they also show a bit of output loss going from one channel to two you need to keep in mind that the two channel spec is also more stringing.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
@Grador, so being the 473 power specs are misleading, would you now say the Denon 1613 would be a better choice over the Yamaha 473?

@zieglj01 What about the Denon 1613 (not the 1612) in your opinion versus the Yamaha 473? Does the 1613 still apply to what you said about beating the Yamaha 871 in terms of power and anything else?

Also, someone told me Denon Audessey calibration is unchangeable and that you can't adjust the speaker volumes at all. Is this true?

G

Grador

I was actually saying that the way they were misleading was a benefit. Either would be a good choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis