Suggestions for new receiver?

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
I need a new receiver. I currently have:

Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers
EMP Tek 1010i subwoofer

My budget is around 300 dollars. I might be willing to go a little higher if a good deal is available.If there is one that you think I must get and it's above my budget, please post it anyway. At the very least I'll have something to compare to or I might just get it anyway. I want something that will make good use of what I have. Your help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

EMP Tek 1010i subwoofer

My budget is around 300 dollars. I might be willing to go a little higher if a good deal is available. Your help is much appreciated.
Why do you need a new receiver?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Also what exactly would you like it to do, are there any features you'd like to see in it?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

EMP Tek 1010i subwoofer

My budget is around 300 dollars. I might be willing to go a little higher if a good deal is available.
I would not raise the receiver budget, for those Energy speakers.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
I need a new one because I bought the sub and in another thread it was determined I need a new receiver because the Onkyo HT R390 I have doesn't have the proper connections for the sub. So, rather than get rid of the sub, I'll buy a new receiver.

@zieglj01 Are you saying that because the speakers are not great? I guess I would like some clarification please. I'm new to this stuff. I remember you helped me in another thread.

As for the features and what I would like it to do.... I just love to watch movies and play games. I have a PS3, a blu ray player, and an Xbox 360. I like to experience crisp clean sound and definitely don't mind some bass. I want whatever is best for my speakers too, efficiency wise as well. Does that help or do I need more specifics?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I need a new one because I bought the sub and in another thread it was determined I need a new receiver because the Onkyo HT R390 I have doesn't have the proper connections for the sub. So, rather than get rid of the sub, I'll buy a new receiver.
Fair enough!

@zieglj01 Are you saying that because the speakers are not great? I guess I would like some clarification please. I'm new to this stuff. I remember you helped me in another thread.
Yes he is. I agree with him. That said, $300 could get you a decent sub-ready receiver that will allow you to upgrade your speakers in the future.

As for the features and what I would like it to do.... I just love to watch movies and play games. I have a PS3, a blu ray player, and an Xbox 360. I like to experience crisp clean sound and definitely don't mind some bass. I want whatever is best for my speakers too, efficiency wise as well. Does that help or do I need more specifics?
You pretty much described a speaker, not a receiver. :p However, I will pick some suggestions for you, and we can go through the features together. :D

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
ah, that sucks because in my first thread on this site someone suggested I get Energy speakers.lol. So, I did. I originally had an Onkyo theater system with a non powered sub and the speakers that came with it.
Being the Energy Speakers seemed to be highly rated and user reviews were largely positive, I figured it was the right choice. Being someone mentioned it on this site to me as a suggestion, there was no reason not to get the Energy speakers. Now I am feeling a little discouraged if you are saying the speakers suck.lol.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
ah, that sucks because in my first thread on this site someone suggested I get Energy speakers.lol. So, I did. I originally had an Onkyo theater system with a non powered sub and the speakers that came with it.
Being the Energy Speakers seemed to be highly rated and user reviews were largely positive, I figured it was the right choice. Being someone mentioned it on this site to me as a suggestion, there was no reason not to get the Energy speakers. Now I am feeling a little discouraged if you are saying the speakers suck.lol.
How much did you spend on them?

Don't be. There is room for improvement, sure, but that doesn't mean in your budget the Energy weren't the right choice!

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
I got them on a Black Friday deal for 150.00

If you don't mind me asking, what's sub par about them, so I can know what not to do.lol.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

If you don't mind me asking, what's sub par about them, so I can know what not to do.lol.
Did you buy the 5.1 for 150, or this for $150

Well, firstly they don't look like this. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Here are some good ones:

SR5004
Personally, I'd go with the SR5004. However, it lacks the features the other amps do (what it lacks in features, it makes up for in amp quality). If you want some of the other features, such as pandora, DLNA, etc., I'd go with the 1912. (Good year. :p 'Cept for the whole Titanic thing!)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

They main question is, do you like them?

The issue that happened, is that EMP mis-represented the
hook-up options on their subwoofer.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Neither.
It was the Energy Take Classic 5 pack 5.0 home theater speaker

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Neither.
It was the Energy Take Classic 5 pack 5.0 home theater speaker
You essentially 5 speakers for $30 a piece. While there isn't necessarily anything wrong with them, there are things that can be improved. Drive units, crossover, cabinet, extension, etc. :D

If you are satisfied, then don't worry about it! Just enjoy! :D

Last edited:
M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
My fiancee will already kill me for buying another receiver after getting that sub, so I may not have a choice. They sound great to me, but then again, I'm comparing them to my previous ones. I may not know what exceptional speakers sound like.lol. I'm guessing when I get my sub in there, they will sound better, since my current sub(the onkyo) is being powered by the receiver too?
I'm not sure what some of the features on those receivers are, but I plan on staying 5.1 if that helps any. I do like the USB port on front for IPod, but not necessary. I know I'm not providing much input for specifics,but honestly, I don't know what good features are. I want to be able to push my speakers and sub to their best ability without blowing them. That's really what I want. The best sound with what I got. I assume I have at least a great sub, right?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'm not sure what some of the features on those receivers are, but I plan on staying 5.1 if that helps any. I do like the USB port on front for IPod, but not necessary.
I would go with the Denon 1912. :D

You can stream music from Pandora, HD Radio, Ipod, Android, etc. It has a good amount of power, and all the features you could want...or end up wanting in the future.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My fiancee will already kill me for buying another receiver after getting that sub, so I may not have a choice. They sound great to me, but then again, I'm comparing them to my previous ones.
I assume I have at least a great sub, right?
You could have done worse, you have to start somewhere.

It does not take much to beat your Onkyo system.

Based on budget, the Energy is not a bad choice.
For a budget sub, you have a decent one.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
From what I can tell, the difference between the 1912 and 1613 is the number of channels, watts per channel, video upconversion, and HDMI inputs.

The 1613 does not have the upconversion,but I'm not sure I need it. My fiancee wouldn't let me get 7.1, but I'm comfortable staying at 5.1.
So, not to discount your 1912 suggestion,but in your opinion, how does the 1613 stack up against the 1912, leaving out the 2 channel difference.

Would the difference in watts per channel make a difference?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis