Suggestions for Nearfield setup

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Like I said - I doubt that 305/308 is that great, given their msrp is much much lower than msrp on 2325/2328. Emotiva Pro's might be good, but at their outrageous pricing I will never know how they are. Not long ago someone posted Chinese brand speakers which look identical to emotiva. Emotiva rep said their speaker are tweaked from these... whatever that means... So it's "tweaked" and not 100% original Emotiva design...

If going back to Behringer I am highly curious regarding B3030A, at-least they are not shy about where they made and who's designs they had stolen :)
Like I say, I think they removed some connections/flexibility to hit that price point.

However, my other guess (and I admit it is 100% a guess) is that the wave guide is better due to better computers, software, and design and manufacturing techniques than when the older series was designed.

And, you nailed it with Behringer, they have never been shy about stealing designs.

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Thank you, and now dear op compare it to this review from same people:
NHT Absolute Zero Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Sound & Vision
They do look very accurate, esp the ascends.
Though not sure if they are accurate over pro monitrors..
The ascends have limited bass too.
Wish the soundstage had also measured studio monitors to compare the results in same setup :)

Also the passive would mean some deskspace for an amp. I can use my 372, but it would take up huge space!
Actives do provide a "clean" setup

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
They do look very accurate, esp the ascends.
Though not sure if they are accurate over pro monitrors..
The ascends have limited bass too.
Wish the soundstage had also measured studio monitors to compare the results in same setup :)

Also the passive would mean some deskspace for an amp. I can use my 372, but it would take up huge space!
Actives do provide a "clean" setup
Ascends are typically engineered to provide higher accuracy at the expense of lower end, If you want both - these might be for you - HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio Engineers by same people, but provide better low end response, yet still great value

Desktop amp doesn't have to be huge - you don't need much wattage in near-field - I dare to say my LSR2325p is WAY too loud that I would ever need. It's like using gt racing car as a grocery getter...
Lepai or Dayton T-amps or use this a monitor stand - MARANTZ NR1403 Slim 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Looks like LSR6325 also are similar to Ascends in terms of bass response.
If I am adding sub(s) maybe not a worry, except maybe the issue mentioned by ShadyJ wrt need for lower crossover in the nearfield

Btw some of the options mentioned above (ascends, HVL) would be difficult to procure for me as I am from India..

Anybody has an experience with the Adam Artist 5 ?

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
That's a speaker made for small spaces. If you aren't limited in your space, get something bigger for better low end extension.
I thought they were made for very nearfield pc based setup...

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Anybody has experience with M-Audio M3-8s ? Couldn't find any measurement data as well...

In general, is this 3 way design, i.e woofer + coaxial mid and tweeter, the best design for wide dispersion ?
Its also used in some of the best speakers - KEF 201, TAD compact reference, Genelec 8260...

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
I upgraded to some NHT Super Zeros from a pair of Mackie MR5 MK2 studio monitors, and the difference in sound quality was significant. The detail and resolution of the NHTs is noticeably better, and imaging is much improved. The Absolute Zeros measure better than my Super Zeros, and I would be comfortable putting them against many other active speakers in terms of accuracy. Also going with passive speakers and a receiver, you get bass management which will be very helpful in integrating your future subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis