Suggestions for Nearfield setup

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am looking for an accurate nearfield monitors at 2-3ft listening distance for just music listening on a pc. Not for mixing/monitoring.
At nearfield I hope to get the clarity like headphones and imaging benefit of the speakers.
I am looking at pro monitors for their accuracy...

Had shortlisted Behringer 1031A/2031A based on their good measurements and wide dispersion and good price as well :).
Will there be any advantage moving up price wise to something like Mackies 624s, Neumann KH120, Adam Artist 5 , JBL 4326 etc , esp at 2-3ft listening distance ? I would like to spend more only if there are objective differences which are audible...

Also is 8" driver is too much for 2-3ft and better to stick to 5-6.5" ? Or no such worries. ?

Any other suggestion is also welcome..

I will be adding one or two 15" DIY sealed subs later...

Thanks a lot...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If by imaging you mean soundstage, that is where headphones fall short, but its very tough for any speakers to match the clarity of headphones. I haven't compared the Behringers to other monitors directly in the same room (except for some old Alesis), but I would go for Mackie Mr or HR or JBL LSR monitors over Behringers. Mind you the Behringers are good for the price, but I don't think they are as good as say, some Adams.

As for a 8" woofer vs a 6", for near-field I would go with an 8". Not for its extra dynamic range, but for its extension, even if you will be using a sub. In a near-field setup, subwoofer localization is always much worse than a typical home audio living room setup in my experience. I think it's because when you are so close to the speakers, it's just easier to pick up the direction where all the sound is coming from. When the sub is say under the desk and the speakers are right in front of your face, the bass always sounds a disconnected, I have heard this in many instances even in some nice setups. So the reason why I would advise going with speakers with lower extension is so you can have a lower crossover. The lower you crossover the sub, the less localized it will be; the deeper the frequency, the less you are able to make out its origin.

By the way, what is your sub build going to be like, if you don't mind me askin'?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
love my LSR 2325P's, but they had been discontinued and I'm afraid replacements might not be as good
You could consider passive bookshelves and a small amp. NHTs Absolute Zero and Ascend audio are first ones to come to mind as far as accurate bookshelves.

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
By the way, what is your sub build going to be like, if you don't mind me askin'?
Sure, I thinking of something like Dayton 15" RSHF/ultimax or Acoustic elegance SBP15 in a sealed enclosure
Will start with one (will be at 4' distance) and if measurements indicate a need for one more then add one more.
Amp could be my current NAD 372 or something like Crown XLI800/Behringer iNuke
Though SPL is not worry here, more about clean low THD output upto 20-25 Hz

Btw, if 8" is recommended then I am pretty much limited to Behringers or maybe Mackie MR or JBL LSR2328/308 as HR824/LSR4328 will go quite beyond my budget.

BoredSysAdmin : I still see LSR2300 available ?

Thanks for your response!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Crutchfield is currently offering a 25% discount on the LSR308s, which makes it $375 a pair. That is a hell of a deal. The Mackie HR series is very nice, they are THX pm3 certified, but they sell out so fast all the time that they aren't often in stock. But yeah, they are a bit pricey. Some other monitors that look interesting are the Emotiva Stealth 8s, but they are a bit pricey at over $700 each.

Dayton HF woofer, very nice. I don't think it will give you tremendous bass at 20 Hz though, at least in a sealed cabinet. For low distortion, linear output above 30 Hz, I think it may be one of the better woofers you can get (which is reasonably priced). I would take it over the Ultimax. I would get two or more if you are really interested in pursuing 20 Hz or lower. They aren't that expensive after all. I wish they would make an 18" version of the HFs. It sounds like you are on your way to a great sound system, in fact that is pretty much what I would be doing with the same budget limitations.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would think about testing the LSR308 speakers out - the word is good on them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If they are as good as the 2328s at that price, that pretty much makes that deal the best bargain in audio at the moment as far as I am concerned. If they are as good, I can't think of anything else that would perform as well at anywhere near that price, whether passive, active, or whatever. Hmm, now I am thinking about replacing my Behringers...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If they are as good as the 2328s at that price, that pretty much makes that deal the best bargain in audio at the moment as far as I am concerned. If they are as good, I can't think of anything else that would perform as well at anywhere near that price, whether passive, active, or whatever. Hmm, now I am thinking about replacing my Behringers...
From what I can tell, the new series has removed some of the input options, I'm sure as a cost savings. Just be aware of it and be sure that you can handle what they have for input.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Like I said - I doubt that 305/308 is that great, given their msrp is much much lower than msrp on 2325/2328. Emotiva Pro's might be good, but at their outrageous pricing I will never know how they are. Not long ago someone posted Chinese brand speakers which look identical to emotiva. Emotiva rep said their speaker are tweaked from these... whatever that means... So it's "tweaked" and not 100% original Emotiva design...

If going back to Behringer I am highly curious regarding B3030A, at-least they are not shy about where they made and who's designs they had stolen :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Emotiva Pro's might be good, but at their outrageous pricing I will never know how they are. Not long ago someone posted Chinese brand speakers which look identical to emotiva. Emotiva rep said their speaker are tweaked from these... whatever that means... So it's "tweaked" and not 100% original Emotiva design...
The Stealth is different from the Pro line. And even if the Stealth were some rebadged Chinese speaker, what does it matter with measurements like these?

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The Stealth is different from the Pro line. And even if the Stealth were some rebadged Chinese speaker, what does it matter with measurements like these?
The measurements look good, but smoothed. Any measurements posted with more resolution?

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
what does it matter with measurements like these?
Though these are measurements posted by the company themselves, right ? Better would ones posted by someone outside...

In these set of graphs 1031A look quite good, doesn't it ? - Testmarathon Bonedo
Though Dynaudio BM5Amkii seems to be preferred....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Interesting review, in there they mention that Emotiva is coming out with a Stealth 8 LCR with two 8" woofers, that might be a killer speaker. I am sure it won't be cheap.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting review, in there they mention that Emotiva is coming out with a Stealth 8 LCR with two 8" woofers, that might be a killer speaker. I am sure it won't be cheap.
I do not know - however another one that looks good to me, is the Event Opal
You can rotate the tweeter
Event Opal | Sweetwater.com

Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | opal

For a budget under a thousand dollars - I like/favor the Event 20/20 BAS
Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | 2020BAS

I have owned the passive version (20/20) and they are nice.

And there is the 20/30 BAS 3-way for a little more
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Event

http://www.eventelectronics.com/2030

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also this from Ascend CMB-170 - Not Smoothed

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I know Event has their fans. That Opal looks like it is competing with some of the Genelec speakers, its priced for it anyway. However at the price of that Opal or equal genelecs, I would be making space for a LSR6332.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You can rotate the tweeter
Event Opal | Sweetwater.com

Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | opal

For a budget under a thousand dollars - I like/favor the Event 20/20 BAS
Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | 2020BAS

I have owned the passive version (20/20) and they are nice.

And there is the 20/30 BAS 3-way for a little more
Event | Sweetwater.com

Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | 2030
I've heard nothing but good things from my musician friends that use the 20/20BAS.

The Opals.......I notice that several of the guys they list as using Opals (and 20/20) are some of my favorite producers/DJs, so that is definitely a good, good sign!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis