Subwoofer "break-in"

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
I know speaker break in theory is debated by both sides of the aisle as to whether or not it is needed or if there really is any benefit. But in reading a consumer's review of the Mirage S-12(which I think I will pre-order today..seems to be a good 1st sub for me & the price) he indicated he gave the sub 8+ hours of break in time before really pushing it. Knowing the movement of the sub speaker(and the fact that I really want to "push it") I'm thinking this may be a good idea?? If it is, what would you use??....material with a fair amount of lfe but keep the level moderate or perhaps some tones?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Fwiw....

Although SVS suggests no break-in is needed, I ran my sub overnight (about 15-20 hrs.) shortly after testing it out initially to "loosen" up the driver. Ran a repeat chapter of "The Haunting" (chap. 10, "Coming, mother"). I highly recommend this DVD if you don't have it yet, definitely subwoofer reference/demo material.

During the self imposed "break-in" period, I kept the master volume low, but boosted the sub level to give the driver a bit of a workout w/out blasting out my basement. Not sure if it helped, but I think it may have, could just be in my head, though... :D -TD

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I didnt even try to break in my SVS. I just let'er Rip that first night I had it.

Wow...the beer tasted good that night too.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
I own an energy sub. The energy line is virtually identical, with the exception of a few cosmetic differences, to the mirage line and share the same parent company (API). Anyways, in the manual for all the energy subs (S8.3, S10.3, S12.3), it specifically recommends breaking the sub in for at least 50 hours before giving it a serious workout. I'm sure your sub manual will say the same.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I know speaker break in theory is debated by both sides of the aisle as to whether or not it is needed or if there really is any benefit. But in reading a consumer's review of the Mirage S-12(which I think I will pre-order today..seems to be a good 1st sub for me & the price) he indicated he gave the sub 8+ hours of break in time before really pushing it. Knowing the movement of the sub speaker(and the fact that I really want to "push it") I'm thinking this may be a good idea?? If it is, what would you use??....material with a fair amount of lfe but keep the level moderate or perhaps some tones?
Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hold nothing back on my subs either - I throw the toughest stuff at them right out of the box. There is nothing to break in...there are no parts that "wear into" each other, and in fact, the only parts that touch are the suspension of the driver cone; the spider and the surround. In a properly designed driver, if anything changes due to use something is wrong.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
Well, after reading the comments above...and the article(thanx gene!) I think I'll hook her up and let 'er rip! Considering my wife will most likely be home when I do this I'm sure the environment will be controlled!:p Now I wait until Vanns gets them in(supposed to be by end of this month).

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I certainly wouldn't deem it a necessity, I just happened to have the luxury of running it a bit before normal use. I'm sure it will sound the same whether you alloted a 'break-in' period or not, and hopefully it'll be just what you were looking for... :D -TD

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
3x10^8 said:
Anyways, in the manual for all the energy subs (S8.3, S10.3, S12.3), it specifically recommends breaking the sub in for at least 50 hours before giving it a serious workout. I'm sure your sub manual will say the same.

Yes, and even Paradigm has directions to buy-wire their speakers and benefits. But, try to call them and get the evidence for it, and the silence is deafening. And, that is a company with facility to perform speaker DBT comparisons.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

muncybob said:
Well, after reading the comments above...and the article(thanx gene!) I think I'll hook her up and let 'er rip! Considering my wife will most likely be home when I do this I'm sure the environment will be controlled!:p Now I wait until Vanns gets them in(supposed to be by end of this month).

Just make sure you don't drive them to destruction:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The split second it takes for circuit to be completed the first time current was sent through the coils of the woofer (remember it was probably at the woofer factory QA department), combined with the first time the amplifier was plugged in (again, probably at the amp factory QA department.

That is your subwoofer breakin time :D .

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
agarwalro said:
The split second it takes for circuit to be completed the first time current was sent through the coils of the woofer (remember it was probably at the woofer factory QA department), combined with the first time the amplifier was plugged in (again, probably at the amp factory QA department.

That is your subwoofer breakin time :D .
Nice. :)

SheepStar

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
muncybob said:
I know a lot of you guys seem to like that mirage sub, but honestly, next to the Cadence X-sub, I think it is inferior. Just my 2c.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
"I know a lot of you guys seem to like that mirage sub, but honestly, next to the Cadence X-sub, I think it is inferior. Just my 2c."

Are you basing this on actual listening comparison? I have not personally heard the S12 but the price is right and those that I know that have owned Mirage speakers speak fairly well of them. Has anybody compared the X-sub(or S12) with other subs in the under $450 category?

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
muncybob said:
"I know a lot of you guys seem to like that mirage sub, but honestly, next to the Cadence X-sub, I think it is inferior. Just my 2c."

Are you basing this on actual listening comparison? I have not personally heard the S12 but the price is right and those that I know that have owned Mirage speakers speak fairly well of them. Has anybody compared the X-sub(or S12) with other subs in the under $450 category?
I have not done any proper A/B tests, however, I owned the Xsub for a while and I listened to the S12 last week. I really think the X-sub is a much better unit. It seemed to dig deeper and have a nice punch. My next choice would be the Acoustech sub, then the mirage.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The X-sub doesn't even come close to the extension of the S12. That would be the only problem. I've heard the x-sub and I wasn't entirely impressed. It is a good sub for the price, but by no means is it a great sub.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
The S12 arrived yesterday but I have not had the time to do anything other than take it out of the box. WAF is low on this though{with comments like what the h**$ is that...and what exactly does it do...do we really need this thingy!?}, it's bigger than I(we) expected...but what was I thinking, after all it is a 12" sub!?! The owner's manual does state it needs a 50 hour break in before subjecting to very loud volumes so to be on the safe side I'll be conservative with it until the week-end:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
muncybob said:
The S12 arrived yesterday but I have not had the time to do anything other than take it out of the box. WAF is low on this though{with comments like what the h**$ is that...and what exactly does it do...do we really need this thingy!?}, it's bigger than I(we) expected...but what was I thinking, after all it is a 12" sub!?! The owner's manual does state it needs a 50 hour break in before subjecting to very loud volumes so to be on the safe side I'll be conservative with it until the week-end:)

So I'm wondering what happens if you DO turn it up during the break-in period. Does it turn into a pile of salt? What can .... break? :eek:

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
rjbudz said:
So I'm wondering what happens if you DO turn it up during the break-in period. Does it turn into a pile of salt? What can .... break? :eek:
Now that is a question that I have always wondered. If you buy a set of speakers and don't go through a "break-in" period, what could possibly break, and if in the unlikely event that they did stop working, then bring them back.
As far as a sub is concerned, I would want to play it as loud as I could stand, to make sure nothing did break. I did that when I bought my athena, I pounded it for several hours, watching all the loudest bass passages I could find.

Still works fine.

Colin

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

muncybob said:
The owner's manual does state it needs a 50 hour break in before subjecting to very loud volumes so to be on the safe side I'll be conservative with it until the week-end:)

I think the best thing is to wait for the wife to visit relatives, works late or away on a trip of some kind, then just enjoy it.
That owners manual is not from a credible audio engineer but the marketing department of that company:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis