Subwoofer "break-in"

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
Well, I couldn't wait for the Mrs. to visit the relatives and while the WAF was low when I pulled the sub out of the box it was greatly improved when I played some music after claibrating. I think it must be broke in by now...cranked up the "Yes Symphonic" DTS cd last night, can highly recommend this disc for bass resonse from a sub. Many tracks had chest thumping/floor shaking bass. There were times when I felt bass out of my system when you could barely hear it. I'm impressed thus far....now for some movies.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Break

Break it in with "War of the Worlds" Scene 5. :D :D :D

D

Dallas2122

Audiophyte
I have owned a Audiostore and have proved breakin does count , Rel subwoofers stste
A minimum of 50 hours , Music is by far the best a Jed volume with some constant bass
For the spider and surround are tight , I measured before and after the subs have more at ease and tunefully and gained 3-4 dB in output ,that alone proves my point .
Just like a Loudspeaker . I gave mine steady music ,after 50 hours played it over 90 dB off and on for another 50: , Svs said no need BS I also did setting and spl measurements before and after 100 hrs on the Killer NewSvs 3000 sub with appointment bought the sealed box for I listen to mainly music ,the ported has both sealed and ported features $1400 class leading and very powerful bothhave dual discreet 800 Epcos,and 2,500 watts peak 18,16hz,Real Bass. The best $1000 sub +
On the market by a country mile ,and most advanced in several areas , the app has a load of useful tools to setup your room .buy a USB Mike , and REW free program after downloading Java and you can see on waterfall plots and other graphs ,save them
And call them to set your room up pretty darn accurate better then a Auto EQsub .

D

Dallas2122

Audiophyte
I am just a consumer for the last 10 years and modding Loudspeakers building Top
Quality Loudspeaker Zobel Clarifiers for myself and Audiophiles associates,and friends
Is several things I learned as inexpensive treats that do work well ,thst being said
My comments on Subwoofer breakin I stand by 100 % several others verified the testing
And conclusions .all equipment gets better as it settles in .

D

Dallas2122

Audiophyte
No you haven't.
35 years in the field and 1,000s of hours of testing and modding equipment
And my uncle being a Audio electrical engineer has given my a vast wealth of knowledge
Most Audiophiles only read about .when you can tear down Xovers and rebuild products
To make them night and day better just by knowing and putting nun top quality parts
Gives one a big advantage for most equipment,even name brands uses average parts at best ,unless spending well over $10k , for less then 25% actually goes into the products
Thst is why Modwright has been so successful .unless you have experienced the difference and know parts quality well ,you truly cannot speak with any knowledge to speak of ..

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
And my uncle being a Audio electrical engineer has given my a vast wealth of knowledge
Most Audiophiles only read about .when you can tear down Xovers and rebuild products
To make them night and day better just by knowing and putting nun top quality parts
Gives one a big advantage for most equipment,even name brands uses average parts at best ,unless spending well over $10k , for less then 25% actually goes into the products
Thst is why Modwright has been so successful .unless you have experienced the difference and know parts quality well ,you truly cannot speak with any knowledge to speak of ..
Yeah, but still... You haven't proven anything of the sort. Maybe if you've spent less time tearing down Xovers, you might've learned more about break-in legends.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Anyone can with a little know how can emulate an existing crossover with the same values. I would like to see the graphs to see discernible effects. It is a hobby and fun to tinker especially if it’s your expertise. Those driver in that particular box to achieve said frequency response needs these parts.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Doubtful, very doubtful.
Yep, proving is a mother. I mean; gaining 3db which usually implies double the power by "softening" anything is just... IDK. And then come all the obvious questions; why did it stop softening after50/100 hours? why didn't it continue to soften? do you get 6db after 100/200 hours? speakers get tested before leaving the production line, why didn't the break-in occur then and there? why did it only start in your house (we know the answer; it starts when your ears make contact with your equipment)? and so on.

I mean, really, having an uncle doing this or that doesn't prove anything unless the prosecutor manages to prove your uncle did something beyond the reasonable doubt.:cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...why did it stop softening after50/100 hours? why didn't it continue to soften? do you get 6db after 100/200 hours? ...:cool:
Aren't you glad it stopped softening? You wouldn't want a wet noodle in there, right? ;) :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Here you go, from a professional:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/rec.audio.high-end/pR8bKAy4Ibc/ML0RaAhZLOUJ

and
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/rec.audio.high-end/IBFD0zAUXWw/Sdj_V8z1Jn0J

By the way, how did you test for audibility of this change? How did you compare a brand new driver and one with lots of hours on it?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Haven't been here in a while, glad I stopped by today..........:rolleyes: have to go, Ramens are getting over cooked......

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis