Subwoofer Bang for Buck Comparison

Matt34

Matt34

vividere said:
To end this string I thought I would announce that I purchased a PB-10 yesterday that a local guy had just bought in December but had already upgraded to an Earthquake. Rather than return it to SVS he sold it to me for $400, he save a few bucks and I saved a few bucks and I got it right away.

It was more than I wanted to spend but based on what everyone says it should do the job for me.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Lew
Good choice! You won't regret it.

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
Pictures...I would hate to have everyone laugh at my totally screwed up HT room...could hardly find a worse place to try and set up a HT. I think a pup tent would work out better than my LR.

My thoughts are on my surround backs now...bought new surrounds and moved my old surrounds which were my old mains to the surround back position, or at least what I thought would work out but they aren't working for me where they are, it for no other reason, having to move my couch out to fit them behind...really dorky.

Lew

W

westcott

Audioholic General
muncybob said:
I'm a bit of a late comer to this topic(actually I'm just starting my "research" into a sub for myself)....but in this price range I've read some good comments on the Mirage Omni series...here is a link to the 8" sub @ $200 plus shipping.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BLGRZK/sr=1-3/qid=1137602430/ref=sr_1_3/102-8791705-9584906?%5Fencoding=UTF8

in the meantime I'm saving my lunch $$ for an HSU!:)
I would wait out a few more lunches. The subwoofer is probably the most important speaker\amp in the entire home theater. You should spend accordingly. Think about it. What do you really expect for performance when you spend $100 on a speaker and $100 on an amp to drive it?

When you look at it that way, you start to realize that you will not get much.

The whole purpose of a sub is to take the load off of all your other speakers and produce the low frequencies. A $200 sub is not going to do that.

I suggest you go listen to some quality subs at your local boutique store.

You will not regret it.

B

BassHead

Banned
xboxweasel said:
Why does no one ever consider the paradigm subs? I have a PW-2100. Are they really that bad?
No its a excellent sub,many just have not tested it to find out how good it really is.makes other high cost subs look like they need lots of work,And i have tried many svs,hsu,velodyne and tons of others.:D

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on your sub purchase. I know I'm late, but why wasn't the BIC suggested more? I haven't seen a bad review and I've been looking for the last month, especially when retail was 450 but you can get it for 250 now. Or is that a bad sign?

I'm on 1500 dollar budget, including shipping. I just bought a yamaha htr-5890for 425 and I'm going to buy the BIC acoustech home theater package plus two extra surrounds for 1000 +/- including shipping.

For that price is there anything out there that can beat that? Or it is just up to personal preference. The only thing I would consider changing is the sub, but for 250 dollars, what beats the 12" Bic?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
BassHead said:
No its a excellent sub,many just have not tested it to find out how good it really is.makes other high cost subs look like they need lots of work,And i have tried many svs,hsu,velodyne and tons of others.:D
This comment is pure hooey. Would you like to back up your statement with test data or independent reviews?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ragged: I'm on 1500 dollar budget, including shipping. I just bought a yamaha htr-5890for 425 and I'm going to buy the BIC acoustech home theater package plus two extra surrounds for 1000 +/- including shipping.

For that price is there anything out there that can beat that? Or it is just up to personal preference. The only thing I would consider changing is the sub, but for 250 dollars, what beats the 12" Bic?
That's a great system for the price. The piano gloss black finish will look very sharp.

Are you talking about the Acoustech 12" sub, or the BIC V1220 sub? I'd recommend going with the Acoustech sub - good reviews (designed by Dr. Hsu), and it matches the finish on the rest of the system.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Yup, the Acoustech 12" sub. The copper tone driver is an added bonus IMO.

B

batmanscvd-7e

Audiophyte
subwoofer replacement

Hey Audioholics,
I am looking for a replacement for my cerwin vega D-7Es I need to find out if I need to get CV replacements or if there may be a better but compatible subwoofer out there that wont break the bank, but will still give me a sweet sound. Any and all help would be appreciated.
thanks/later/Batman

B

batmanscvd-7e

Audiophyte
how do you tell how big your subs are how do u measure that?

I've already pulled the blown CV D-7E subs out of the tower I jusat need to know how big they are 15"s, 10"s how do they get those numbers?
thanks/later/Batman

D

Deathwish238

Junior Audioholic
How does the Dayton sub compare to the SVS PB-10? Is there a night and day difference?

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Deathwish238 said:
How does the Dayton sub compare to the SVS PB-10? Is there a night and day difference?
Haven't heard the Dayton...I doubt if it's close, not much is under $600 except other than HSU, Outlaw, Rocket, Mirage S12 or other SVS.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
vividere said:
Will I be so unhappy with a cheaper sub that I would be better without?:confused:
Short answer: yes -- your purchasing criteria should be based on more than just price; just like how this site conducts their reviews: price/performance=value.
Gryphon's advice is sound:
"The SVS PB10-ISD is a killer sub for only $429. It will blow away any of the subs you've listed (in my opinion)".
This is only $150 over budget; I am not flippantly disregarding your budget but in the <$500 value range, value is somewhat compressed -- you DO get what you pay for.
vividere said:
It seems I am being suggested to buy a Lexus or walk instead of buying a Toyota and being able to drive. I have dreamed of having some great low end bass to help complete my system but it seems I am being told no sub woofer is better than a cheaper one?:confused:
That is a rather fatalistic approach -- If you can swing the extra dough -- donate blood if you have to for pete's sake or deliver newspapers whatever, you'll be happy you did; plus you'll end up spending less money in the long run from not having to "upgrade" the crap impulse purchase you made solely on the basis of price.
Listen to the members here (not necessarily me though :rolleyes: ) they are a godsend.

Good luck to you,
Charles

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
donate blood if you have to for pete's sake or deliver newspapers whatever, you'll be happy you did
Do you go out to lunch? Put a cookie jar on your desk at work and bring your lunch. Put the money in the cookie jar that you would have spent on lunch. In like 2-3 months you will have your $150, and it will all have been worth it.

Or ask for the remaining $150 as a present from a family member. Say to them, "the difference in quality that I get for this $150 is huge. So even though it is not in our budget, I would like you to spend the extra $150 on me for my b-day/X-mas/Qwanza present.

or you could sell some crap. I KNOW that you have somthing in your basement that you do not need. Something that you could sell on ebay for $150. EVERYONE has old golf clubs in their basement that they will never use again. Don't tell me you that you don't have any, go look first. They are down there.

Do some or all of these things and you will thank yourself.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
abefroeman said:
Do you go out to lunch? Put a cookie jar on your desk at work and bring your lunch. Put the money in the cookie jar that you would have spent on lunch. In like 2-3 months you will have your $150, and it will all have been worth it.

Or ask for the remaining $150 as a present from a family member. Say to them, "the difference in quality that I get for this $150 is huge. So even though it is not in our budget, I would like you to spend the extra $150 on me for my b-day/X-mas/Qwanza present.

or you could sell some crap. I KNOW that you have somthing in your basement that you do not need. Something that you could sell on ebay for $150. EVERYONE has old golf clubs in their basement that they will never use again. Don't tell me you that you don't have any, go look first. They are down there.

Do some or all of these things and you will thank yourself.
THIS THREAD IS A YEAR OLD!

PLEASE read the dates before you post.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis