furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Well, thanks for the help.

What year is your Pilot? And how does the Pilot handle in rain and in snow?

I have driven the Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, and Civic (many different years) extensively.

What do you want to know?

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well, thanks for the help.

What year is your Pilot? And how does the Pilot handle in rain and in snow?
I used to have an 2003 Pilot in silver, that was leased coming off a 2 year lease. We just traded (+ lease) it in for a 2008 Ridgeline (loaded minus sunroof and Nav.). It has a problem with the EGR valve. Should be covered under warranty, as it was extended to 8 years for the EGR (V6 engine in the accord as well).

The Pilot was fine in the snow and rain. The VTM-4 kicks in when the fronts slip, its the same system on the Ridgeline as well. The Ridgeline has stiffer suspension and you sit higher up. Both have ample amounts of interior room, and the in bed trunk on the Ridgeline is just as big as most car trunks.

SheepStar

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Subbie makes some great vehicles. But I wouldn't buy one without the turbo four. Even the upgraded six in the Tribeca isn't anywhere near the level of the turbo.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
The turbo 4 cylinder requires premium gas right? That's kind of expensive nowadays. :eek:

Subbie makes some great vehicles. But I wouldn't buy one without the turbo four. Even the upgraded six in the Tribeca isn't anywhere near the level of the turbo.

Senior Audioholic
I would vote for the Subaru. I have a 1990 Legacy wagon that I bought used in 2001. The only thing I have ever had to repair is CV joints, nothing else has failed, it has never broken down. It has over 200,000 miles on it now and I bet I will still own it when it his 300,000.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Does that turbo engine require extra care in maintenance? Like changing air filters regularly, more diligent oil changes, etc.? I seem to remember having read somewhere that turbo engines are harder to maintain than regular engines.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
I drive an 06 Accord Coupe. Handles fine here in the great white north. The traction control system in is superb, and will get you through even the worst winter weather no problem. I think many people overrate the use of AWD in cars, and put too much faith into them. Allowing all the wheels the ability to have varying torque etc is most certainly beneficial for traction, but this most commonly comes into play at low speeds and in difficult to drive areas. I know lots of people who think because they have an AWD suv that it will save them on the high-ways from black ice, and tend to throw caution to the wind when driving these vehicles. The fact of the matter is that even on the high-way, when you hit blackice, whether your in a 2WD vehicle or a AWD vehicle if all the tires are on the ice and slipping no amount of varied torque will compensate for that kind of loss of traction.

I would submit to you, that a good 2WD car with a good traction control system will be just as effective for regular day to day driving as an AWD vehicle. If you are mostly city driving, on paved and plowed roads, then you wont notice a significant difference unless you alter your driving habits, or if you have poor driving habits to begin with.

Besides, the saved money can go towards more Stereo equipment! Bonus!

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I've owned a Honda Civic and Subaru WRX wagon (current) and the Honda was much more reliable. For the time I had the Civic, I only had to do the usual stuff. I've owned the WRX for 4 months and I've already had to replace the radiator, center differential, and a couple of transfer gears. The transmission on it is glass. Honda parts seem to be easier to find and much cheaper.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I drove a Honda Civic for four years and it was in the family since it was new. It was a 1990 and it had 360,000 miles on it when I sold it a few months ago. It still runs great. It had very few problems and never any major repairs. Even the clutch was original.

When I was searching for a new car I drove Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus but I fell in love with Mazda. I couldn't be happier with my Mazda 3. It is right up there with Honda reliability wise according to Consumer Reports. I've put over 12,000 miles on it in 6 months and haven't had a single issue. The 3 might be too small for your tastes but I would recommend looking at the 6 or the CX-7.

Hyundai has also made a name for itself lately. The SantaFe may be worth a look. It is available with AWD.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Does that turbo engine require extra care in maintenance? Like changing air filters regularly, more diligent oil changes, etc.? I seem to remember having read somewhere that turbo engines are harder to maintain than regular engines.
Subaru's turbo engines are pretty bullet-proof. I don't do anything more with this than I did my previous NA 3 liter V6 or my family does with their Hondas. I don't know anyone else that takes any extra precautions with the turbo Subarus either.

I would agree with the above sentiment that AWD is not needed in most bad weather. If you know how to use it then it's a great thing to have, and if you know what to do with it then it can be a lot of fun. But the right tires and you'll get around without it.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Furrycute,
Would you consider a Certified Used Honda, or Toyota 4-Runner?
That's how we purchased my wife's second Toyota.
Good Luck
Rick

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis