furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Does anyone here drive a Subaru?

My old car now is 13 years old (bought it used), and I am thinking about getting a new one. Debating whether I should get a Honda Accord or a Subaru Outback.

A base 4 cylinder Accord automatic will cost me about $2100 before tax. A base 4 cylinder Subaru Outback automatic will cost me about $2300 before tax. I can't drive a stick shift.

I kind of like the AWD on the Subaru, because of the snow we get around here. But reliability wise I like the track record of Honda.

What do you guys think I should go for? Anyone has any experience with Honda or Subaru want to chip in?

I really want to know about how reliable is the Subaru? I will likely keep that car for 8 years if not longer before I move on to another one. So good reliability is a must.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I drive a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, my parents & sister drive an 04 Accord, 03 CR-V and 96 Accord.

Subarus are pretty reliable. Maybe not quite as reliable as a Honda but right up there. I'd also say that Honda has nothing comparable to my Legacy in terms of fun to drive (same with Acuras really). A lot of the issues with Subaru come from yahoos that flog on them and drive them hard. That can potentially break anything although Subarus are pretty tough.

You really shouldn't have problems with either, properly maintained.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I drove a Subaru Outback in college- it was the perfect car to have in a place with rough winters (I went to college in Rochester, NY). Never had any mechanical problems with the car, and it was relatively inexpensive to service. IT drove through everything- including 18 inches of fresh snow in a parking lot after a major storm! The AWD handles wonderfully on ice and in the rain.

It was also a fun car to drive, it had above average pickup, and you could fit a lot of crap in the car.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Consumer Reports has an extensive car reliability section, that should help.

Over the years I've worked on many cars; and have owned both cars.
Though I like both; the Honda is a more reliable car, by a large margin.

One flaw in the Subaru engine 2.5 flat 4 cylinder (boxer) was the way they
route their two timing belts.
Having a belt for each side, one is longer than the other; due to the fact one belt drives the oil pump, and the other does not.
The longer belt fails prematurely.
Long story short. IMHO go with the Honda.
Good Luck
Rick

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks guys for all your input.

My concerns with reliability mainly stems from my experience of having owned a used vehicle. Over the years I have literally spent more money fixing up that car than how much I paid to purchase that car. It was unbelievable. That thing was constantly in and out of the shop. I am so fed up with it! I am finally getting ready to dump that car.

That's the reason why I want to have a trouble free car.

Seems like Honda has the reliability thing nailed. :)

But I still like the AWD on the Subaru. Darn it, why doesn't Honda make a full time AWD!:p

What about Honda Pilot, part time 4WD? The thing is, it's not only too big, but also way out of my price range, close to $30,000.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Does anyone here drive a Subaru?

My old car now is 13 years old (bought it used), and I am thinking about getting a new one. Debating whether I should get a Honda Accord or a Subaru Outback.

A base 4 cylinder Accord automatic will cost me about $2100 before tax. A base 4 cylinder Subaru Outback automatic will cost me about $2300 before tax. I can't drive a stick shift.
I want to know where you're buying your new cars for these prices!

-pat

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Have you consider Toyota 4WD RAV4 to look at? It is one of the best out there under $30k.

I just got my Toyota 4runner last year for $27k (not a 4wd), its the best car I ever got.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I've driven Honda for around 7 years now. I rarely need any major fixes apart from oil change. I had two major surgery on my first Honda due to accidents. Other than that, it's running great. I just trade in my old civic with the newer one (2007) last year. Same reliability on both.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I got those quotes from carsdirect.com. I figured if I just keep to the base model with the minimum amount of options, I can probably get within something close to those quoted prices. But I haven't really talked to any dealers yet.

I want to know where you're buying your new cars for these prices!

-pat

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Rav4 4WD seems like a nice option. But that will probably cost about $2500 before tax.

Honda, Honda, Honda. I wish Honda makes an AWD sedan just like the Subaru Outback.:p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Honda, Honda, Honda. I wish Honda makes an AWD sedan just like the Subaru Outback.:p
I have a long driveway, and when it snowed, the plows would leave
their excess across the end near the street.
My wife's AWD Subaru would get stuck every time.
Due to it's low ground clearance, it would get hung up on top of the deep
snow with the wheels spinning.
This was back in the early nineties.
Now her Toyota 4-Runner and my pick up, have no problem.
It's as much a need for 'ground clearance' thing, as it is the AWD.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Honda has started to cut a few corners over the last few years, but they're still right up there. Drive both and go with the one you like. It's like shopping for audio gear :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Rav4 4WD seems like a nice option. But that will probably cost about $2500 before tax.

Look here, I have a Toyota Corolla-S (my 3rd one) and a Suzuki XL 7. I bought my son a 1999 Acura CL (basically a fancy honda accord) with 195k miles on and no real issues. Toyota and Honda are amazing for their reliability. However, I have 112k on my Suzuki XL 7 4WD and not a single issue. I would seriously consider looking at them if I were you. Also, 10yr 100K warranty to boot.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that one as well.

Look here, I have a Toyota Corolla-S (my 3rd one) and a Suzuki XL 7. I bought my son a 1999 Acura CL (basically a fancy honda accord) with 195k miles on and no real issues. Toyota and Honda are amazing for their reliability. However, I have 112k on my Suzuki XL 7 4WD and not a single issue. I would seriously consider looking at them if I were you. Also, 10yr 100K warranty to boot.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Well, how much would a base 4WD 4Runner cost? Close to $30,000? Unfortunately, that's quite a bit beyond my budget. :(

I have a long driveway, and when it snowed, the plows would leave
their excess across the end near the street.
My wife's AWD Subaru would get stuck every time.
Due to it's low ground clearance, it would get hung up on top of the deep
snow with the wheels spinning.
This was back in the early nineties.
Now her Toyota 4-Runner and my pick up, have no problem.
It's as much a need for 'ground clearance' thing, as it is the AWD.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I don't know if size matters to you. If i were you, with the same money, rather than taking the lowest class of accord (lx), i'd take the highest class of civic (ex)...Just a thought. With all the niceties,..i can't resist:D:D

The Honda CRV has 4WD as well: 4WD LX for $21,900 (MSRP). Take a look.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have driven the Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, and Civic (many different years) extensively.

What do you want to know?

SheepStar

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I am kind of on the big side. So Civic is a bit too small for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

On edmunds car forum, a lot of people are having problems with the 4WD version of the CRV. That kind of scared me off the 4WD version of the CRV.

I don't know if size matters to you. If i were you, with the same money, rather than taking the lowest class of accord (lx), i'd take the highest class of civic (ex)...Just a thought. With all the niceties,..i can't resist:D:D

The Honda CRV has 4WD as well: 4WD LX for $21,900 (MSRP). Take a look.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis