Sub recommendation for 3 room condo?

B

bodean

Enthusiast
My "starter" sony sub is starting to die, and looking at upgrading to a better sub. Right now I have BOSE for rear speakers, and the rest of my speakers are POLK. So I'm looking mainly for a Polk, unless something else pop's up on my screen.

Any recommendations? Don't want to spend a ton, as I'm only in a 1500sq ft condo, so I don't need something that breaks windows.

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
What is your price range? Any reason why you are limiting yourself to only Polk Subs?

B

bodean

Enthusiast
$400 max.

I've been looking at the Polk PSW505, which is only 269 on amazon.
From what I've read, Polk make good products, and most of my speakers are polk. I figured for that price on that sub, hard to beat, no?

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
Understood. While Polk makes great speakers, Polk subs in general aren't known to have the greatest sound quality for the money. I have also seen the Polk PSW505 sell for as low as $200 on newegg.com and at that price, it is a good value.

I see someone mentioned the budget sub thread in another thread you posted. I would start there and also check out Newegg.com

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Most speaker companies do not make very good subs specially for the money. I would definately stay away from Polk. A good sub will "mate" with any speaker system. Most of us here have a sub from a sub company & have speakers from a speaker company of choice. A list of good sub companies is:
HSU Research
SVSound
Rythmik
Outlaw
BIC
Premiere Acoustics

The last 2 listed are the cheaper companies of the bunch but offer decent subs in the $250-$350 range.

The BIC F-12 is a good sub for the money, so is the PA-120. These are both 12" subs that fall in your mentioned price range. If you are willing to spend $500 you can get a sub that is officially in the "good" catagory, the Rythmik FV12.

There are many options but my recommendation is to stead clear of Polk subs! :)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
$400 max.

I've been looking at the Polk PSW505, which is only 269 on amazon.
From what I've read, Polk make good products, and most of my speakers are polk. I figured for that price on that sub, hard to beat, no?
HSU STF-2 or Premiere Acoustics PA-150.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 for Premiere Acoustics PA-150.
I own PA-120 and it's really good sub for the money. Josh Ricci tested it and it shown to be very solid performer with a bit eQ it would really shine
One more sub, untested yet, but looks promising is Cadence CX15mk2 I believe with coupon it should be $399

Ether option you pick would be MILES better than any polk sub in this price range or even double it

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yeah the PA-150 which is a 15" sub got good reviews for its price. Great midbass capabilities!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis