Sub in the $300 Range - Needed Today (HELP!)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had the original 10" SVS PB-10 in a 20x20 high vaulted ceiling room that was open to the kitchen and a hallway. It did surprisingly well in there, but lacked enough solid output for my taste - super clean and had output to 16Hz, but I ended up upgrading for more output. I sold it to a guy who had a room that was effectively a 20' cube and it didn't do well in there, though I am not sure a single sub is really going to work in a room like that regardless. So taking that into consideration, I think the 10" driver might not be the best choice.

I am also of the mindset that I'd rather buy at the top end of what I want to spend and not have to replace it as well as the fact that this typically also nets you a better resale value (not always, but you get what I am saying), but my budget would also take that into account :)

As was mentioned, you are not going to get something that will give you reference levels in that room on that budget. The Cadence will do the trick and definitely will be better than the HTIB sub for sure. Note too that it was $399 when it came out.

Last edited:
L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
Ok, taking some advice I've decided to up my budget a tad. 2 CSX 12 mkiis would run $600. The nice part about using a pair is it'd help me even out sound coverage. The master/slave feature looks good. I also don't have tons of space for a whopper sub, but have two great corner spots for smaller ones like the Cadence. (Height not an issue but depth and width are.)

would my $600 go better elsewhere?

when putting these in a corner do I NEED to put them a certain distance from walls or is simply a matter of what sounds good or not?

I'll probably end up doing a couple DIYs later for my basement but don't have the time right now and the roommates who pay rent need their bass! I'd rather get my basement done first anyway.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The CSX has a slot vent that is front facing. It will depend on how it sounds to you, but I'd keep it around 8" from the side wall, rear can be just a few inches if need be.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
Going to re-measure my spaces tonight. I'm thinking I'll get a Klipsch if it'll fit. The Cadence looked great but I think I'm in need of pure wattage with an area as big as mine. I'm surprised I've seen very little comments on the digital presets for that sub though. I'm not usually a bells n whistles guy, but being able to switch from a music to a movie setting, (and especially a night setting!), actually makes a lot of sense for folks who are going to lodge it in a corner like I am. A little bummed I missed the $279 deal a few days ago, but if I knew how things like that'd go I'd be rich in the stock market and would be buying subs that cost a fortune anyway.

If 1 sub makes me happy I'll stick with it...if I need two I'll spring for it once I know I need two.

Can anyone say anything about these presets? How have you been using them and is it a nice feature to have? For the "Night" setting, can I basically treat it as a volume roll-down and maybe a under-30hz kill? How about the infrared...anyone been making use of this?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a Yamaha that had that feature quite a few years ago and while it WAS useful for the night setting, I found that it really wasn't much use beyond that. Having that at your fingertips isn't exactly a benefit I found - because you will constantly be tweaking it. Haven't had that feature since then and haven't missed it.

Wattage alone does not equal performance :) I think the Klipsch will be a good enough starting point.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
Before my infinity died we were constantly fidgeting with the volume though as at night we ran it maybe 15% vs 40% for music and 60% for movies. If there were a knob on front that'd be fine, but in the back it was just annoying. Seems like this is a good fix. That said...liiiiiiiittle bit worried about the effects that a cold beer getting sloshed into it would have. Not that drinking causes us to turn it up (which causes more beer (which causes turning it up (etc)))

A

anthonywoy

Enthusiast
Any used options for you LougeRat? Never a bad idea to check Craigslist, you might be able to find a good deal there. I larger sub will often give you better performance than 2 smaller ones, better quality sound and extension as well.
I would look at the SVS PB-1000 for $500, rather than 2 cheaper Klipsch. Hits 20Hz, and better quality. Probably higher SPL than the 2 cheaper subs you have been looking at.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Any used options for you LougeRat? Never a bad idea to check Craigslist, you might be able to find a good deal there. I larger sub will often give you better performance than 2 smaller ones, better quality sound and extension as well.
I would look at the SVS PB-1000 for $500, rather than 2 cheaper Klipsch. Hits 20Hz, and better quality. Probably higher SPL than the 2 cheaper subs you have been looking at.
You obviously didn't read the thread because it was already discussed.

A

anthonywoy

Enthusiast
Sorry, did look through the first page. Lesson learned :)
Good advice, we are on the same wavelength.

Last edited:
L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
I'm hoping I will be happy w/ my $300 purchase. It's a gamble really. I am really looking into the PB1000 a little down the road when I've got my basement theater done though - that should sound heavenly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis