Sub in the $300 Range - Needed Today (HELP!)

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
Here's my plight. It's also posted at avs. Sue me, but I needed some feedback today. My great room sub is out and I'm entertaining later this week. Tax refund on the way and if I'm to pick up a Klipsch, the sale "ends" today (although I'm sure it'll come back at some point). The bottom line is that I'd like something on it's way by the afternoon. Here's the shpeal...

20x20 vaulted great room, open to the kitchen, carpeted. I'm using 7 Infinity TSS 1200 satellite speakers (Satellite Frequency Range 120Hz – 30,000Hz +/–3db).

I'd love to drop the big bucks but I've got to save that for the basement theater instead. Since this is a main living room it will ultimately be used more for entertaining (think Pandora/Netflix) rather than my basement which will be the big-boy room. I want to be able to turn it up every now and then, and movies do get watched here...but I've no need to nickle and dime spec sheets to death. As far as whether I'd rather pay for volume or sound character though I'd say I consider myself more of an audiophile than most. (Just because I can't afford something doesn't mean I don't know what I missed out on
)

At this point, for $300 I can get either the Klipsch RW-12d or the Cadence CSX-12 MkII. Those are the two I'm considering. (Ok, maybe the Premier Acoustic PA-150). I wouldn't turn down another suggestion, but I won't spend more.

Klipsch - Pro/Cons. I like the programmable idea. It sits in a spot where the back isn't very accessible so that would be a plus. (although, has anyone heard of the digital-ness of that panel breaking???) The name, as someone said earlier, might be an easier sell down the road if I ever need to. Cons: It's a bit bigger.

Cadence - Pro/Con. It SEEMS from some of your input that this might be a bit more accurate for listening to music? It looks better to me...the Klipsch does look a little bit UFO. Cons: Not much name recognition (which other than selling I honestly don't care about).

Help? If I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow evening (Klipsch sale ends) I'll be flipping a coin. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cadence CSX-15 MkII was measured here and found quite disappointing with several severe design flaws.
That doesn't mean than CSX-12 is as bad, but draw your own conclusions.

For room your size you are NOT going to find a GOOD sub for your budget. No chance.

The only sub with comes to mind to be able to perform somewhat competent for this puny budget is Premier Acoustic PA150
you could find it here - with some cosmetic wear:
Premier Acoustic PA 150 Subwoofer 15" 1000 Watt Sub Chip and Dent | eBay
benchmark is here:
Data-Bass

here is option b)
Dayton Audio C1500K 15" Powered Subwoofer Kit 300-770

I'm not typically a fan of Klipsch subwoofers , but Klipsch RW-12d offers good value for small to medium sized room. (You room is easily in large size category due to it's size and open to other spaces (kitchen) )

Last edited by a moderator:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
"Cadence CSX-15 MkII was measured here and found quite disappointing with several severe design flaws.
That doesn't mean than CSX-12 is as bad, but draw your own conclusions."

While it did have some pretty big flaws, it did, however, play LOUD, at least above 40hz. I don't know how much you can generalize to the CSX-12, but for a room that big, giving up low-end extension and linearity for some output might be a good trade-off at this budget.

That said, I think the OP has more or less impossible demands. A sufficient sub for $300 for a very big room just doesn't exist.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
another issue with CSX-15 is had pretty sharp fall after 90hz. Given' op very high f3 - 110Hz - integration with csx-15 would be far from ideal.
I realize than PA-150 is more of mid-bass module, than a true sub, but at this budget it'll be decent compliment for existing speakers and will be decent for music and ok for movies.
It should be able to pressurize OP's large space.

Last edited:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
My father has a rw-12d in a space larger than that, and it really does an admirable job. Sure it doesn't pressurize the whole space as it should, but if you're sitting within a generous handful of meters from the sub the experience is acceptable. On that budget and with the current sale price I think the klipsch is a pretty good idea.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
I'm realize I'm not going to get a Caddy or maybe even a new Ford Focus...but having a golf cart or even a bike is better than walking. $300 will fill at least some of the lower register void. The Sub that came with the Infinity set was a 250 watt 12" and other than the fact it blew up like everyone else's it was just fine while working. I'm just trying to take $300 and make as big a dent as I can in the under 120hz range. I saw that scratch n dent PA-150...also considering that if folks think it'd take on the Cadence or the Klipsch. This will be sitting the far corner and I don't mind a blemish or two.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm realize I'm not going to get a Caddy or maybe even a new Ford Focus...but having a golf cart or even a bike is better than walking. $300 will fill at least some of the lower register void. The Sub that came with the Infinity set was a 250 watt 12" and other than the fact it blew up like everyone else's it was just fine while working. I'm just trying to take $300 and make as big a dent as I can in the under 120hz range. I saw that scratch n dent PA-150...also considering that if folks think it'd take on the Cadence or the Klipsch. This will be sitting the far corner and I don't mind a blemish or two.
Ok, in car terms - Cadence will be Daewoo compact sedan, Klipsch will be Hyundai sedan and PA-150 would be slightly used Ford Truck
Now imagine you need to tow large boat. Which one would you choose?

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
I work in IT and tend to compare everything to cars. I tell everyone the computers they have are '84 Buick Regals.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I work in IT and tend to compare everything to cars. I tell everyone the computers they have are '84 Buick Regals.
Maybe not a great comparison because the people that actually know cars may just assume that you're referring to a t-type and/or GN and be wondering why they aren't the fastest thing ever.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Maybe not a great comparison because the people that actually know cars may just assume that you're referring to a t-type and/or GN and be wondering why they aren't the fastest thing ever.
And now I cry because I have no idea what that means. Luckily, while I don't know cars, I do know loudspeakers. I would go with the Premier Acoustic PA-150. :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok, in car terms - Cadence will be Daewoo compact sedan, Klipsch will be Hyundai sedan and PA-150 would be slightly used Ford Truck
Now imagine you need to tow large boat. Which one would you choose?
My hyundai elantra has a higher rated towing capacity than a base level ranger.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
Ok, ok...as luck would have it I sold some stuff (as quoted by Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber) and gotten myself a little extra cash. While this could perpetually continue to be a "well...for $50 more you could get the..." conversation, what would $400-$450 get me? I had read a while back that there are certain tiers where you start to see pretty distinct quality changes...where's the next plateau start? (taking into account needs for the room I described above?"

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$500 would be the point where things really take off, but you can almost get a SVS PB-1000 for that kind of cash PB-1000-OUTLET - SVS Probably still not quite enough for a room that big. Few things in the price range will be.

I did a writeup of the CSX-12 MkII and felt it was a pretty good budget sub. Pretty much nothing below 25Hz, but seemed to have plenty of output above that and handled my relatively large room better than the price would suggest. It actually wasn't bad with music, but it does still have some overhang on some notes.

Last edited:
L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
I've got it narrowed down to 4 subs. I'll take (graciously of course) any input you've got as the Rythmik sale expires tonight. Keep in mind I'm on a budget w/out wanting to skimp. Any of these subs will do better than the Infinity that came with my boxed set. If ya say go big or go home...I'm ok with that. If you say...they're nicer but the Cadence or Klipsch would suffice...I'm ok with that too.

Maybe the best way to approach it would be to say, "If it were your money..." :)

*Budget Subs - "Heck...save the extra $200 and be responsible?"
1.) Cadence CSX-12 MkII - $299 shipped
2.) Klipsch RW12d $299 shipped

*Justifiable Subs - "I know they're better but are they worth an extra $200-250?"
1.) Rythmik LV12R $549 Shipped
2.) SVS PB1000 - $479 Shipped
*I do want the PB vs the SB for my room right???

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
*Also keeping in mind I'm not planning on upgrading the Infinity Satellites in that room. On one hand I'm thinking "gosh...is it worth it to spend extra on speakers that aren't stunning?". On the other I realize I'll have this for a number of years and the bass is probably the more important part of home theater other than maybe the center channel.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say you do want the PB vs the SB for a bit more output and extension between those two. I feel the CSX-12 MkII is a good tradeoff for the budget plus the fact that the "real" system is down the road anyway, but how long before that happens would affect my choice. If we are talking a long time, I'd probably opt for a better sub now.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
And can someone comment on the SVS having only a 10" speaker? Seems odd to me, but I suppose I'm a musician too and it seems odd that guitar speakers are almost always 12 where bass are 10 or 15.

L

LoungeRat

Enthusiast
I'd say you do want the PB vs the SB for a bit more output and extension between those two. I feel the CSX-12 MkII is a good tradeoff for the budget plus the fact that the "real" system is down the road anyway, but how long before that happens would affect my choice. If we are talking a long time, I'd probably opt for a better sub now.
Well...I will eventually have BOTH systems up and running. Whatever I purchase here will stay in this room. In 6-12 months when I'm done w/ the basement theater I plan on doing a little less budget shopping and buying a little more of what actually fits the room and listener requirements

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis