M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
I have no idea of what walter duque is trying to say. Not sure if he is trying to push you towards the HSU or the Monolith. Without knowing the final room dimensions, any advice, anyone gives is just taking a stab. Given the three choices you listed (there are many, many more that could be in the list), I would choose the HSU VTF 15H MK2. My reasoning is simple.....If I'm going to go big, I will go with the biggest (respected) of the bunch.....especially when the biggest of the bunch has been reviewed as a great subwoofer. Now if your budget allowed for more, then I would say hey...wait, that dang Monolith 15 is a heck of a subwoofer. Notice, I didn't say the Monolith 12....well because it is good, but again it is almost "NEVER" compared against the HSU 15 incher's.

I'm going to suggest you wait until you buy the house. The listening room will decide what is best. Who knows, it could be small enough that one small subwoofer works, or could be so large that it takes two large subwoofers.

As has been said many times, buy as much subwoofer as you can afford for the first one....and then save up for its twin, if needed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea of what walter duque is trying to say.
I'm guessing he might not like Hsu. *shrugs

I said it before... M3 just said it... Put the money is an envelope labeled "SUB" and put it in your special place drawer, and when you find the house... you're ready to go!

And just as m3 said, there are a lot of good subs to choose from, but if you buy too small now, by the time you end up in your new spot, you won't be able to return it... Though SVS has that trade up policy.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Look at Rythmik as well as they have products that rival HSU and SVS at the same price point with the added aid of servo control to prevent over excursion of the woofer keeping distortion levels low.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I'm guessing he might not like Hsu. *shrugs

Maybe I am a little to harsh when it comes to subs. Stopped at Alex (Fuzz) a few years ago and he had one there. He does have everything. When he turned it on and I looked at him and he at me and we both started laughing and I said to him “you got to be kidding me”. I guess we are used to different kind of subs. To each it’s own. So far there is only one ID companies product that impressed me and that’s the Phil3’s. Just about all these highly recommend speakers and amps on these forums are a big ripoff as far as I am concerned. I never did follow the masses.
I am not claiming to be an expert when it comes to subs but did go trough a few of them since the mid 70's. My first one was a sub satellite system "David and Goliath". For the mid 70's it was kind of impressive.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Look at Rythmik as well as they have products that rival HSU and SVS at the same price point with the added aid of servo control to prevent over excursion of the woofer keeping distortion levels low.
I don't think that servo technology would prevent over-excursion. They probably just use limiters and filters for that. In fact, I would guess that the servo technology itself would exacerbate over-excursion.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A servo feedback system would not factor over-excursion. The signal would need to be limited before it entered that loop in order to prevent over-excursion.
Like I said, I've had my sub for a few years now and it never sounded boomy or out of control .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think that servo technology would prevent over-excursion. They probably just use limiters and filters for that. In fact, I would guess that the servo technology itself would exacerbate over-excursion.
Maybe it would just be "accurate" over-excursion :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis