1q2

Enthusiast
Hello, I've seen a few threads with these choices, didn't notice them together. I have the yamaha a3070, cerwin vega xls-12 mains and would like some opinions of choosing a sub as I can't demo them and am no expert in the specs. Do not have a final room size as I'm looking for a house, but want to buy it as to not spend to much with a mortgage. Looking at the:
Monolith 12
HSU VTF-3MK5 HP
or the VTF-15H MK2 this one is a little out of budget but would try to make it work if it's worth the extra price/ also I can't understand why it's more than the other HSU
Thank you for any help and sorry to be ignorant on the differences.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The VTF 15H Mk2 is a bigger box with lower port tuning giving it deeper extension for lower frequency. ;)

Low frequencies are more affected by room volume whereas your regular speakers are more dependent on distance to your LP. That's why room size comes up so much in these conversations.

If you wanted to "play it safe" and you are not needing to hear that low c on a pipe organ, the VTF3 is a really good sub. A lot of people really like them which is why they are so often recommended.
The Monoliths were reviewed here and are proving themselves to be quite worthy, as well.
You won't necessarily go wrong with either decision.
At the end of the day... why don't you just set the money aside for when you find the right spot? You might find you don't need that much sub... Though everybody needs 2 or 3 of that much sub! ;) But seriously, there is so much more at play in the way a subwoofer performs than just picking one with good specs. Conversely, you might find the right subwoofer only to realize that you need two to overcome issues in the room. :)

1q2

Enthusiast
thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I just know me, and try as i might, the only way i'll spend the money if if i do it now. I just was just trying to figure on the HSU brand with a 15" or a little smaller 12" with the hype these monoliths are getting. thank you for your time

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I just know me, and try as i might, the only way i'll spend the money if if i do it now. I just was just trying to figure on the HSU brand with a 15" or a little smaller 12" with the hype these monoliths are getting. thank you for your time
The HSU, unless you compare to the monolith 15

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Monolith subs do have a more heavy-duty build quality, in fact the Monolith 12" weighs almost as much as the VTF15h mk2 despite it being only a 12" vs the Hsu's 15". While there are some similarities, these subs are aiming for somewhat different performance targets. If you don't need gobs of output, any of these subs will, do. The Hsu 15"s are a more powerful subs, however, that can't be disputed.

1q2

Enthusiast
I have no real way to listen to them. Buy and return isn't in my budget with shipping fees.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no real way to listen to them. Buy and return isn't in my budget with shipping fees.
Well, there are a couple vendors that will cover the roundtrip shipping if you don't want to keep it. SVS and RSL both do that. Do it simultaneously and you might be able to compare. Auditioning a sub in a store is often of little or no value....

1q2

Enthusiast
Well, there are a couple vendors that will cover the roundtrip shipping if you don't want to keep it. SVS and RSL both do that. Do it simultaneously and you might be able to compare. Auditioning a sub in a store is often of little or no value....
HSU says they charge for return shipping. I could not afford to have two out at once. Thank you for your replies by the way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
can you get to crutchfield? not trying to give them your business, but you can at least kinda check some stuff out for yourself. And listening to a subwoofer outside of the room isn't going to help you know what it will sound like in your room. But if they have something you like, maybe you can take it and bring it back if it doesn't work out??? ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HSU says they charge for return shipping. I could not afford to have two out at once. Thank you for your replies by the way.
Can't think of any other sub companies doing it at this time, and of course such companies do have to cover their costs via building it into overall pricing....

You're quite welcome. FWIW either Hsu would be my choice over the Monolith

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hello, I've seen a few threads with these choices, didn't notice them together. I have the yamaha a3070, cerwin vega xls-12 mains and would like some opinions of choosing a sub as I can't demo them and am no expert in the specs. Do not have a final room size as I'm looking for a house, but want to buy it as to not spend to much with a mortgage. Looking at the:
Monolith 12
HSU VTF-3MK5 HP
or the VTF-15H MK2 this one is a little out of budget but would try to make it work if it's worth the extra price/ also I can't understand why it's more than the other HSU
Thank you for any help and sorry to be ignorant on the differences.
I would buy the house with a small theater room in mind. A smaller sealed room will require less of a subwoofer investment. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis