Sub calibration with a Yamaha Receiver

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
I just gave my Theater System a new home in a new cabinet. Took everything apart moved speakers out a little. Put the Sub in a different place. Did the calibration and it now has my Sub 42 feet away and changed all my speakers to large...wonder why it has the sub so far away when it's 12 ft away...

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you tried rerunning the calibrarion? If you have, then I would guess your current location has some heavy acoustic problems going on and thus the sound waves take longer to get your listening position. Your avr calculates the distance by how long it takes for sound to hit your calibrarion microphone.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Did you sub crawl the new location for the subwoofer or just moved it? If the latter I'd sub crawl it and then rerun YPAO. At most it should be off by just a few feet adjusting for any built in DSP within the plate amp.

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
It's in the same place.....and another thing it has my level at -10db instead of 0.0 db....it's a wireless speedwoofer...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's in the same place.....and another thing it has my level at -10db instead of 0.0 db....it's a wireless speedwoofer...
That change in level indicates you may have increased the gain adjustment on the sub (sometimes it doesn't take much on a sub's gain adjustment to do such) or had an issue during YPAO and just need to run it again, especially when the delay adjustment is so different I'd lean towards an issue while running YPAO. Altho wireless may explain the additional delay setting as that's more going on than just dsp processing in the sub amp; was it a wired connection before or wireless each time?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
that's funny i'd run ypao again and see what it does. as mentioned, calibration is set by how the avr "hears" the room not how we see it. IE: line of sight. Run ypao and see what happens.

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
Ran it again.....took some furniture out of the room.....the only thing I changed in my system is I added a Panamax surge protector that would not affect anything.
Comes back the same 42 feet away when it's 12ft away and -10 level.
Tried it both was with the level at 12 o'clock and half way between 12 o'clock and off.....tried it with the crossover switch activated and not activated and crossover at 120....the same....it's a head scratcher.....do I need to get a meter and do it myself?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Again, the distance adjustment is done to set level and phase and is not an actual measure of how far it is. If it is setting it to -10, you have the gain too high on the sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. -10 means too much gain, but if you backed it down that much, I would expect to see a difference. The 42' thing is definitely weird. I wonder if you have a mic issue. Maybe the capsule came loose during storage or something weird. Might be worth a conversation with Yamaha. IMO it's always good to have a meter around.

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
I will back it off a little more getting close to off......

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am wondering if it is mic too, or if you have some room mode it can't fix at the listening position. Is it making a bunch of EQ adjustments for the sub?

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
The gain is almost off it comes back the same.....how far can I back off on the gain?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow!
I guess until it quits mailing sound, but my guy says there's a problem with the mic. Do you have an spl meter? You go manual till you can get a new mic, or get to the bottom of this. Another thing to consider might be a factory reset. Not sure how on a Yamaha. I'll look...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a phase adjustment on the sub? What sub are we talking about? RSL?

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
Yes RSL Speedwoofer.....it has a phase adjustment

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is the sub on the same side of the room as the mains? is it continuous or 0 or 180 only? If only 0/180, I'd try 180 and see what it does. If continuous, I'd try it at a few different points to see if it improves. Sounds like a room thing, not a volume thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the level of -10 the lowest the sub level goes on your avr? If it goes lower (many go to -12) then it doesn't make sense that the level remains unchanged when you lower gain on the sub....

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Yes -10 is the lowest it goes........
Yep, Yamaha receivers max offset is +-10dB not +-12dB like Denon's. You won't know where the real offset is until you get that down. Can you try a wired connection to test the distance measurement? May be something with the RSL's wireless DSP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis