Sub calibration with a Yamaha Receiver

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
I set the gain all the way to its lowest setting still comes back -10 and 40 ft away....weird deal....trying to figure out how to reset the receiver and start over....

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Weird. If it was the YPAO mic that was the issue you would think all the other speakers would have these same anomalies as well in their settings. I'd contact RSL's customer support and run this by them as well. Not saying it's the sub but it very well could be.

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha RX-A2060 It's 2 months old now. The sub is about 6 weeks old

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
Did the reset and everything came back good -1 on the sub but distance is 42 ft......should I leave it alone...I like it in the middle of the system see my profile pic....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How does it sound now? Might be the processing time giving that result; you could adjust delay (distance) manually and see if you find something that sounds better...or if you have measuring gear you might try something like this

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
Everything sounds real good.....it took me a while to get use to the RF-711 I got a couple months ago but now that clean crisp sound without trying high,low and in the middle level doesn't matter they sure sound good...anyone else getting excited to see the new Sony OLED tv coming out?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After what you went through, I'd leave it and just listen :)

Yes, after CES, waiting on the Sony OLEDs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everything sounds real good.....it took me a while to get use to the RF-711 I got a couple months ago but now that clean crisp sound without trying high,low and in the middle level doesn't matter they sure sound good...anyone else getting excited to see the new Sony OLED tv coming out?
Then sounds like its time to enjoy the content and leave the hardware alone :) What's an RF-711? I'm still in plasma mourning and not looking for a new tv for a while anyways. Last I was paying attention the best OLED tech was with one of our customers, Kateeva, and they were working extensively with LG....has Sony got something cool going on?

Silverfoxvtx

Silverfoxvtx

Audioholic Intern
The Rf-711 are Klipsch tower speakers......Sony is bringing their first Oled tv to market this year..

S

Scott Y.

Enthusiast
Just like using REW with a calibrated microphone, the Yamaha is not reliable at setting the best delay/phase setting at the low frequencies a sub operates at.

Run REW with the mains and subs together, adjust the AVR distance setting for the best frequency response. When you're off, you'll see sharp dips.

The AVR setting won't necessarily be the actual distance.

REW can also be used to set the delays on your other speakers using an acoustic timing reference. But, you'll need to do it at a higher frequency range than what a sub sees.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis