Sub-$1K On-Wall 2.0 Speaker Recommendations

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
As the title says, I am looking for some recommendations. The wife and I bought a new home that we close on at the end of the month and the main living area is set up exceptionally well for a TV. Nice mount integrated above the fireplace with a smurf tunnel and some very nice recessed shelves below with clear glass doors for the cable box, BR player, receiver, etc.

However, we have one large factor that is driving me towards a simple wall mounted speaker solution: our 6 month old son. I don't want towers or stands for him to risk pulling over an hurting himself. I could live with any speaker damage that may come, but if something were to happen to him, I'd never forgive myself. So here are the details and goals:

Details
The room is 16x17 with essentially 3.5 walls. The 1/2 wall missing is at the rear (based on TV orientation) leading into the kitchen. The speakers will be wall mounted on the L and R of the TV. They will likely be powered by an older Denon.

Goals
Handle general TV and movie watching. This setup will be a 55" or 60" LED that will get A LOT of use. Think everything from having the TV on during cooking, hosting guests, to kids programming and sports with the primary source being cable. Likely even some music from chromecast/pandora/songza/etc.

What that means to me is the ability to handle dialogue and sound with a well-balanced approach that can provide good volume to still hear in the kitchen but not get muddled. We all know how variable cable programming can be, so these really need to just be a well rounded speaker.

These speakers will never have a sub added. They will never be expanded into a 5.0 or 5.1 setup. It is very likely these speakers will be mounted and never be taken down for 15-20 years, assuming they last that long. I will have a full 7.2 setup with my 65" VT30 and eventually a projector in the media room, so I have the full theater experience covered elsewhere.

Form factor is important for me (not just for WAF, but aesthetics really). A white speaker would look nice, but I could easily get away with black. I'd prefer something flatter.

The speakers MUST be less than $1,000 for both. I'd really love to be around $600-$700. Also, a soundbar is out, there is no provision to mount the bar below or above the TV without drilling the mantle/woodwork, which I won't do.

I really like the looks of the Axiom M22s. The price is right and they seem to be decently well reviewed. I have never heard them however.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
TV above a fireplace is NOT set up excellently for TV!!!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I have 5 total RBH WM-30s, and haven't had surround sound for years, which means 3 of them have been sitting in a closet.

These speakers will hands down blow anything in your price range out of the water! They sold for $600 each when knew. I'd be willing to ship a pair to you for $700. If you ever find yourself in North GA, you are welcome to come have a listen as well.

They are sleek with aluminum cabinets in a brushed silver look, black grills, and I think I have the grey grills as well still. Should have at least 2 original boxes to send, as well as the standard aluminum wall mount bracket. Install is as easy as it gets, just hide your speaker wire in the wall. 12 gauge recommended. PM if interested!

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Looks pretty ideal to me...

Those HTDs look way bigger than what I had in mind. I'd really prefer something flatter than a standard bookshelf like that NHT Classic Two.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
As the title says, I am looking for some recommendations. The wife and I bought a new home that we close on at the end of the month and the main living area is set up exceptionally well for a TV. Nice mount integrated above the fireplace with a smurf tunnel and some very nice recessed shelves below with clear glass doors for the cable box, BR player, receiver, etc.

However, we have one large factor that is driving me towards a simple wall mounted speaker solution: our 6 month old son. I don't want towers or stands for him to risk pulling over an hurting himself. I could live with any speaker damage that may come, but if something were to happen to him, I'd never forgive myself. So here are the details and goals:

Details
The room is 16x17 with essentially 3.5 walls. The 1/2 wall missing is at the rear (based on TV orientation) leading into the kitchen. The speakers will be wall mounted on the L and R of the TV. They will likely be powered by an older Denon.

Goals
Handle general TV and movie watching. I will have a full 7.2 setup with my 65" VT30 and eventually a projector in the media room. This setup will be a 55" or 60" LED that will get A LOT of use. Think everything from having the TV on during cooking, hosting guests, to kids programming and sports with the primary source being cable. Likely even some music from chromecast/pandora/songza/etc.

What that means to me is the ability to handle dialogue and sound with a well-balanced approach that can provide good volume to still hear in the kitchen but not get muddled. We all know how variable cable programming can be, so these really need to just be a well rounded speaker.

These speakers will never have a sub added. They will never be expanded into a 5.0 or 5.1 setup. It is very likely these speakers will be mounted and never be taken down for 15-20 years, assuming they last that long.

Form factor is important for me (not just for WAF, but aesthetics really). A white speaker would look nice, but I could easily get away with black. I'd prefer something flatter.

The speakers MUST be less than $1,000 for both. I'd really love to be around $600-$700. Also, a soundbar is out, there is no provision to mount the bar below or above the TV without drilling the mantle/woodwork, which I won't do.

I really like the looks of the Axiom M22s. The price is right and they seem to be decently well reviewed. I have never heard them however.

Thank you all in advance!
At first you claim you will expand the system to 7.2 which implies 2 powered subs. But later you claim you won't be adding a sub? I'm a bit confused here.

If you don't plan on adding a sub, you will want a speaker with better bass capability. Check out options from James Loudspeakers, Def Tech, RBH Sound, and Triad to name a few.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Apologies, I already have a 7.1 setup that will be made 7.2 for my media room that is SEPARATE from this system. This thread is about my living room speakers. I was trying to inform people that there will be no need to "future proof" or think about long term "upgraditis" with this setup; just a simple 2.0 that works well.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Those HTDs look way bigger than what I had in mind. I'd really prefer something flatter than a standard bookshelf like that NHT Classic Two.

42" TV for reference.

The name WM-30 tells you exactly that it is a 30" wall mount speaker. As Gene points out, you're going to need a subwoofer as no book shelf or wall mount in this price range is going to be capable of good bass. And for that matter, very few even are!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Then your concept of ideal and my concept of ideal are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Will you ever actually light a fire in there? Have you considered the detrimental actions of heat and ash for your electronics?

Have you sat in a chair or couch and stared at that spot for 3 hours straight? Peering up at a TV gets old, fast.

You may find that you are correct and it is OK with you. Or, you may find that I was correct and it is far from an ideal location.

I would personally never hang my TV over a fireplace. That would be a case of form over-riding function.

Just be 100% sure that you are OK with this location before it's too late to change it.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja

For Feng Shui maybe, but, that TV height is far from ideal for viewing.

This is ideal,

Or for a projector setup with two row seating, according to THX,

Any chance you can rotate the setup and mount the TV on the right wall (when looking at the fireplace)?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I think TVs installed over fireplaces are always too high. The OP's tv location is worse than most - that's extremely high.

With that being said, I think the NHTs are a pretty good option.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
For reference, the center of my VT30 is 60" up. I lay in my lazy boy and my wife reclines on our sectional, so I actually prefer a much higher TV. I must be the only one who leans way back when I watch television.

Here is how my VT30 was in our old media room and when I turned this room to a nursery and moved the TV downstairs, I mounted it higher. Empteks in the pic for reference are 47.5" high.

To answer a few other questions:
1: Gas, no ash/smoke to deal with from the fireplace
2: Not terribly worried about the heat making it's way up with the blower and since the fire will never be used as a primary heat source.
3: The house already has the mount there and smurf tunnel installed. If I decide to change it, then I won't be doing work twice as I never created the original setup.
4: This thread was never intended to discuss TV height. It will be fine and if I do decide to change it, I'll be sure to reply to this thread and let everyone know that I was indeed not special and prefer a normal mounting height :)

Also, no plans for a sub and I am not concerned about bass. Again, if I want to throw on something crazy I will head to the media room.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I'll look into the NHTs. TheWarrior, those are a nice looking speaker and seem like basically what I have in mind. I doubt I drill the walls for the wires, probably just use some white cable track to lead the wires behind the TV and into the smurf tunnel. I'll give you a buzz if I decide I need to take them off your hands.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis