Still having trouble with Sub....

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Scholling-

I do understand what you are getting at, my point is that most of my issues and problems with my sub come during times while I am watching movies and or tv so the pure direct mode is a non-issue. I would not be watching in pure direct mode unless it was a spoken word movie with no video if you catch my drift ;)
The previous posts were tangents to your original.

Using the LFE/RCA input to your sub from your receiver bypasses the crossover control on the sub. It does not bypass the crossover control in the receiver.

When you use the L/R inputs (speaker wire) to the sub you bypass the crossover in the receiver and use the sub's crossover.

I'm wondering if you're expecting something that isn't there? I've done this. Have you gone over to the sub to see if it is turned on when you expect it to be? I would assume that it turns on anytime the receiver is in use regardless of the type of connection.

-pat

M

mtbound10

Audioholic
I got a response back from EMP today....

Hello Matt,

Does the sub work when you just turn it on, not using the auto on off?

Thanks,

Brian Tracy
Sales / Customer Support
Engineered Music Products
www.EMPtek.com
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:19 PM
To: support@emptek.com
Subject: EMP-10 Poor Response

I have been having a tough time getting my EMP-10 sub set up. It seems like
there might be a problem with the auto on/off switch. I have a Yamaha RX-V
863 receiver set up as a 5.1 system. The sub is set up with an RCA cable to
the LFE connection at the sub as well as the dedicated sub connection to the
receiver. I have your Compact speakers set up as fronts and surrounds with
your matching center channel. The crossover right now is set at 120 on the
receiver, the speakers are set to small all around. I just can't figure out
what I have mixed up here. I do not know if I am getting a weak signal from
the receiver, which should not be the case. I have the db level up going
out to the sub @ the receiver.

I am at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated. Besides this set back I
am completely happy with the speakers and they have worked great!.........

The saga continues... Fortunately EMP has always been great about service and customer relations

M

mtbound10

Audioholic
Hey pat,

Yeah, I figured that out a few days ago in regards to the fact that moving my crossover setting on the sub is pointless since it does absolutely nothing considering the fact that I am using the line level input (LFE) connection at my receiver and sub.

Now when you say "expecting something that isnt there"... I just think when I am playing movies and such that the sub should be more responsive. I have heard it operate and I know how good it can and does sound. I am just having trouble getting it to maintain that depth.

:cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I got a response back from EMP today....

Hello Matt,

Does the sub work when you just turn it on, not using the auto on off?

Thanks,

Brian Tracy
Sales / Customer Support
Engineered Music Products
www.EMPtek.com
It appears that you must have someway to switch the sub to "ON" (bypassing the "AUTO ON" setting). Sometimes this is a 3-way switch and includes an "OFF" position as well.
Look at the plate amp. This is usually a small toggle switch.
Unfortunately, EMP doesn't have a good photo of the amp controls on their site.

M

mtbound10

Audioholic
Yeah, I know on some subs there is a way to bypass the auto on/off feature by having a third position on the on/off toggle. Unfortunately my switch does not have that third toggle and there is not a second switch to bypass the auto function. EMP suggested I ship the unit back to them. I was hoping they would let me do the dirty work and they might just send me out a new switch or possibly talk me through what they might do all they way back in Utah to spare me the expense and effort of shipping it across country.

I am a mechanic by trade and do quite a bit of electrical work as well, I hope they feel comfortable letting me do the legwork. I just want to purchase the parts if I can and replace them if that is what the issue might be.

M

mtbound10

Audioholic
So I sent my sub back to EMP today... it cost me $95 EFFIN dollars to do it to... there BETTER be something wrong with it!!! :mad:

I should have just said hell with it and put that towards a sub that I know definitely works!

On that note, any suggestions? I wouldn't mind building something either...

WM'aX where are you at????

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis