fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cabinets should be here on Tuesday:
Dayton Audio TW-0.50CH 0.50 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Cherry 302-722

The "plan" is to cross the Q100's mid/woofers over to the Extremis 6.8 ~500Hz and utilize the woofers in a sealed alignment. I'm getting just a little excited at the prospect, though I'm duly impressed with what the Q100s offer on their own as well. :D
Definitely sounds like a cool project. Are you doing your own routing? I know Del always hated routing the finished baffles.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Definitely sounds like a cool project. Are you doing your own routing? I know Del always hated routing the finished baffles.
I've got 0 woodworking skills, but Dennis knows somebody local to help with that side of things. Unfortunately Del is swamped, otherwise he'd have done the cabinet.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
For those keeping track, due to a rookie mistake on my part as well as a nod to my priorities, there will be a woofer swap on my project. :eek:

Unfortunately trying to shoehorn the Extremis 6.8 and the UniQ driver on to the front baffle of Dayton's 0.5 cu ft cabinet isn't going to work out; I didn't take into account that with the grill, usable vertical space is limited to about 12". I could go with the 0.75 cu ft cabinet, but that's a less elegant solution being 3" taller and 1.5" wider, with a lot of wasted internal volume, and it'd still cost me a few bucks to implement.

So I made an executive decision :D Instead of revolving the project around a 7 year old pair of woofers, I'm ponying up for a pair of Seas L16RN-SLs. They're built on a 5.5" woofer frame, but have sufficient Sd and Xmax to rival a 6.5" woofer. With the modeling I've done, the 0.5 cu ft cabinet should actually fit like a glove, with a -3dB point around 55Hz and 10dB down around 35Hz. With the amount of low end gain I get in room, I'm predicting that will work very well.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Aren't those the same woofers used in linkwitz's Pluto kit? I think they are.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Woo Hoo! What do I win? :p

Needless to say, they should be pretty capable woofers :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The most important prize of all: the satisfaction of knowing you're right :D

Yes, I'm cheap :D

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Another woofer swap (and cabinet swap) is in the works :D

With any luck, this should be the last switch. We realized that the addition of a separate chamber for the UniQ would take away a good chunk of volume from the L16, taking away from its already marginal extension. Sights are now set on the ER18 in a vented box which will require the use of the 0.75 cu ft cabinet. I dropped the Q100s with Dennis yesterday; now I just get to sit and get excited over the potential performance possibilities. And of course I'm daydreaming about other potential projects for the main system in the basement :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I like it. Sounds like a change for the much better.
It'll definitely improve low end performance and sensitivity, so it's mostly a win-win. The only real downside is that the 0.75 cu ft cabinet is a lot bigger visually (17x10 vs 14x8.5).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's for sure. IIRC the philharmonitor 2's were made with the .75cuft cab and they weren't exactly tiny monitors. The monitors I just built aren't all that small and they're about half the size of the .75 cab, but hey it'll be worth it :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You tease :p
Speaking of teases, the drivers are mounted and Dennis will be beginning his work before too long. The ER18 will have a net of about 16L to work with, and a 2" diameter port w/ 6" in length for a tune of ~45Hz.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking of teases, the drivers are mounted and Dennis will be beginning his work before too long. The ER18 will have a net of about 16L to work with, and a 2" diameter port w/ 6" in length for a tune of ~45Hz.

Look at them just floating in mid air...I'll bet they'll sound magical!:D :eek:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Look at them just floating in mid air...I'll bet they'll sound magical!:D :eek:
Dennis is definitely an audio wizard, though I'm a little concerned about his focus; he's talking about making soup out of it all, and I'd really just like a pair of speakers :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis