mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
this spock didn't go through the vulcan purging of emotions ... i think he will be a more interesting character this time. violent vulcan ... hehe.

as much as i hate JJ abrams ... star trek is now = money. and that only means more ST movies. i was sad when they said star trek X would be the last.

i wish they'd make a voyager movie.

i do have some peeves about the movie plot though.

1) the plan was to "blackhole" an exploding sun to another time/place? isn't that reckless? what if they blackholed that close to a planet in another time/place?
2) if that tiny dot of red matter could make a blackhole capable of swallowing a planet ... shouldn't that boulder sized red matter be able to suck in the galaxy? or at the very least the quadrant?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
this spock didn't go through the vulcan purging of emotions ... i think he will be a more interesting character this time. violent vulcan ... hehe.

as much as i hate JJ abrams ... star trek is now = money. and that only means more ST movies. i was sad when they said star trek X would be the last.

1) the plan was to "blackhole" an exploding sun to another time/place? isn't that reckless? what if they blackholed that close to a planet in another time/place?
2) if that tiny dot of red matter could make a blackhole capable of swallowing a planet ... shouldn't that boulder sized red matter be able to suck in the galaxy? or at the very least the quadrant?
(hands over ears) lalalalala

So you're saying Star Trek should be more factual? :rolleyes:
It is Star Trek.:D

Honestly, I thought the same things too. I'm over it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, i enjoyed the movie despite those :) just looking for something to gripe against JJ.

i have more
3) warp cores have more energy than blackholes ... umm no.
4) it's spock's fault he didn't save romulus ... lame excuse to be a bad guy.

i guess with the jampacked storyline, they didn't need a worthy adversary this time ... just some random bad guy.

can't wait for the BD - knowing JJ, it will be out fast - the warp thingies make sonic booms=good subwoofer demo

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I finally got a chance to see Star Trek this weekend. It was clearly obvious that JJ Abrams is not a Star Trek fan. Much of the special effects were a sloppy CGI nightmare like Transformers was and this seems to be a new trend now with tech action packed movies. Shake the camera, do numerous extreme close ups, and put a bunch of visual stuff up at once for brief moments so you don’t really know what happened but it gives you the illusion of looking cool.

My grade as a sci-fi movie: B-
My grade as a Star Trek movie: C-

Things I didn’t like:
• JJ Abrams pipe fetish – seriously the scenes of the Enterprise engine room and where they built the Enterprise on Earth (which in itself was ridiculous). I felt like I was on the USS Titanic anytime they showed the engine room of the Enterprise
• I felt like I was watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate factory when Scotty got sucked into the water pipe in the engine room
• the warp nacelles of the Enterprise were way too BIG
• JJ Abrams & many directors of latest CGI based films have a fetish to do extreme close ups and shake camera up to confuse us during a busy scene
• Very lame space battles that once again, suffered camera shake and extreme close-ups with too much stuff going on to take anything in
• Kirk gets out of Starfleet, goes from Cadet to 1st officer in 2 min and then captain shortly after without earning the position at all
• Everyone on planet Vulcan took a stupid pill while they watched a giant drill shooting a beam into their planet
• Everyone on planet Earth took a stupid pill while they watched a giant drill shooting a beam into their planet. The drill could easily be disabled with a handgun as Kirk did on planet Vulcan. Seriously nobody had a fighter jet or shuttle craft that could shoot it down? Oh wait, only cadet Kirk was smart enough to save us..well not really, Spock had to fly the Phantom Menace ship and shoot a few phaser shots at it. Kirk was too busy getting his a.ss kicked again :)
• Every other scene either shows us Kirk getting his a.ss kicked or falling off a ledge holding on by his finger tips
• Spocks future ship was a rip off of the water ship in Phantom Menace and didn’t resemble anything at all from the Star Trek world
• Spock gets marooned on an ice planet years before the destruction of his planet. He knows there is a federation outpost within walking distance and doesn’t bother to warn the Federation or Vulcan of the pending doom?
• Spock just happens to be on the same planet as Scotty whom is so brilliant that he himself is marooned on that planet too
• Nero was a very weak character, worse than the Romulan clone from Nemesis
• Future Romulan ship firing missles? Are you kidding me?
• Red matter was stupid, at least use something trekkies could relate to like the Omega particle
• I don’t understand how destroying Vulcan and the Federation could save the Romulan home world? The reason for Nero to go psycho was disingenuous
• No visual effects of shield impacts on any of the Federation ships
• 90210 love opera between Spock and Ahura – really takes away from Spocks character
• grim view of Federation and future for humanity that is stuck in a grungy world surrounded by pipes, and federation officers looking for bar fights
• too many plugs for Budweiser and Nokia
• the music lacked epic proportion
• the film had very little Star Trek feeling to it
• the creature enters Captain Pikes mouth and its supposed to wrap around his cerebral cortex??
• Orion Slave girl in Starfleet academy

Things I did like:
• The Kobyashi maru test was hilarious
• The portrayals of the main characters – excellent actors chosen (sans Nero and the rest of the Romulan thugs). Romulans are supposed to be cold yet calculating. These creatures seemed to be more like the Remans and it would have made more sense to identify them as such
• Excellent dramatic moment when Kirks father sacrifices himself to save his wife, child and crew
• Good humor in the movie kept it entertaining even during the bad science parts and poor story telling moments
• Lack of sound when getting sucked out into space
• Ahura was hot!

Overall I did find the movie entertaining and I nitpick all of the Star Trek movies, but my gripes were a bit longer in this one. Personally I'd rather see Rick Berman producing Star Trek again. He was really good at tieing in all of the shows and keeping a consistant storyline. I will continue to support Trek and see the new movies but no fancy CGI effects or young 90210 actors to increase sex appeal will ever replace the charm, and feeling of the 5 Star Trek TV series and X previous movies. This Next Generation of Star Trek is just too radically different and feels to similar to other SciFi stuff that has already been done IMO. If anything, this movie has inspired me to re-watch past Trek movies and find a new appreciation for them.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
^....ah, another JJ Abrams fan. Doesn't he just suck?! I wonder why people think he's the schizz. :confused:

Good analysis, Gene. But I think it must have taken longer to type that than watch the movie. ;)

This movie was highly overratted and over hyped. My biggest fears happened - the hollywoodification of Star Trek. I will go more into detail on my next post. I am currently detoxing by watching Star Trek II to restore my image of Kirk and the Star Trek world.
Are your pants on? Sorry, I had to say it!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
^....ah, another JJ Abrams fan. Doesn't he just suck?! I wonder why people think he's the schizz.
Sadly this movie is grossing more than all prior Trek films to date which only means Paramount and Abrams could care less about satisfying the core fan base of Trek. I'd say we now must turn to the New Voyages fan based episodes on Youtube but the acting is pretty horrible and the gay scenes are too plentiful for me to embrace as Trek.

Just to put things into perspective on how lame I thought the battle scenes were in the new Star Trek movie, check out some battles from DS9 which was a relatively low budget show compared to this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wj2dO8ALJ0
also listen to how epic the music was as well, something severely lacking in the movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Star Trek over the weekend.

I'm not a big Trek fan, but I do like Sci-Fi in general.

Overall, I like it better than any other Star Trek movie to date.

I also enjoyed it A LOT more than X-Men Origins Wolverine.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I saw Star Trek over the weekend.

I'm not a big Trek fan, but I do like Sci-Fi in general.

Overall, I like it better than any other Star Trek movie to date.
I suspect this will be the case 90% of the time for people that really aren't into Trek. This movie was designed for the general public, NOT true Trek fans.

That being said, had Abrams NOT done it this way, we'd have another box office flop that only appeased people like me. So in the end, I am happy that Trek lives on despite some things I don't particularly care for in the reboot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I suspect this will be the case 90% of the time for people that really aren't into Trek. This movie was designed for the general public, NOT true Trek fans.

That being said, had Abrams NOT done it this way, we'd have another box office flop that only appeased people like me. So in the end, I am happy that Trek lives on despite some things I don't particularly care for in the reboot.
My wife hates every single Star Trek movie ever made.

She hates every single Star Wars movie every made.

She hates the new Battlestar Galactica series.

She just flat out hates Sci-Fi in general.

And guess what?

She totally loved this new Star Trek movie!!!

I could not believe it!

So, yeah, I think JJ Abram did his "job" and pleased 90% of the population.:D

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
My wife hates every single Star Trek movie ever made.

She hates every single Star Wars movie every made.

She hates the new Battlestar Galactica series.

She just flat out hates Sci-Fi in general.

You should get a divorce. Plenty of hot single star trek fans at the conventions.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sadly this movie is grossing more than all prior Trek films to date which only means Paramount and Abrams could care less about satisfying the core fan base of Trek. ....
They just about have to. The core numbers just not enough to make $$$$.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I guess I was thinking of that test he took that placed him in the want list for the Vulcan Science Academy:D

That small black hole most likely would not pull in the quadrant. The Milky Way has a huge one at its center and here we are:D Or, maybe, that is the cause of global warming;):D
Or, if astrodon shares, he would be much more qualified:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
spock is to ST:OS
data is to ST:TNG
7of9 is to ST:Voy

they're the interesting characters :)

sorry, ST:Enterprise's character is supposed to be T'Pol but the whole series was bleh
i'm not familiar with DS9
Enterprise had a very interesting character(only 1) That was Dr. Sung lol) IOTW data.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You may want to check out the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Most of the episodes were really good, especially In Mirror Darkly and when they stopped the Xindi from destroying earth. The final episode was rushed b/c the show was canceled and it sucked big time but other than that, it became a good show. Sadly Star Trek fans didn't support it and it went away, thus killing Trek until now. I'd rather have mediocre Trek than no Trek but thats just me. IMO most of TNG was at best mediocre - Love Boat in Space.
speak for yourself. I love TNG and find it to be superior to the original series.

It's no Voyager, but don't knock my childhood scifi. The Borg was the best part of the series though. That's why First Contact was it's best movie. Nemesis was stupid. They had a great bad guy but made it way too cliche.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Star Trek is an American science fiction show, science fiction entertainment series, and media franchise. The Star Trek fictional multiverse created by Gene Roddenberry is the setting of six television series including the original 1966 Star Trek, and eleven feature films. The franchise also extends to dozens of computer and video games, hundreds of novels and instances of fan fiction, several fan-created video productions, as well as a themed attraction in Las Vegas. Beginning with the original TV series and continuing with the subsequent films and series, the franchise has created a cult phenomenon and has spawned many pop culture references.
lol, too bad for the spam. i actually found the cut and pastes informative

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis