mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
that's an entire series i haven't watched! to watch that series ... i'd have to dedicate about a month of straight watching :D

+ a non-moving starbase just didn't attract me enough like the other starships did :)

we'll see ... i'll check it out
Oh, you don't have to watch all the shows to be familiar with it. I am sure I missed a good number of them.;):D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
You may want to check out the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Most of the episodes were really good, especially In Mirror Darkly and when they stopped the Xindi from destroying earth. The final episode was rushed b/c the show was canceled and it sucked big time but other than that, it became a good show. Sadly Star Trek fans didn't support it and it went away, thus killing Trek until now. I'd rather have mediocre Trek than no Trek but thats just me. IMO most of TNG was at best mediocre - Love Boat in Space.
I watched most of the original Enterprise eps and enjoyed them. But with a more critical eye I've been watching the last two seasons again on HDNet and believe them to be the very best presentations of the entire brand. (I'm old enough to have been a big fan of the original show, btw.) Acting, sets, CG, audio, action and creative elements were all superior to anything from the original ST, ST:TNG, Voyager, and DS9!

Also, the missus and I took in the new movie today. I have regained my long-lost respect for JJ Abrams and his recently foundering and Lost (;))ways. He did a fantastic job on this movie. It's a must own in BD and is great on the big screen.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I saw the new movie today with my son.
I thought it was pretty good.
Only complaints:
I didn't much care for Kirk's character. At least not at this point. Understandably, he was supposed to be cocky. But the cockiness was overdone to the point where he came off as a D-bag. And, yes I am old enough to remember the original Kirk.:eek:
Second, and a minor complaint at best; Chechov's (sp chk?) accent was wwwery over played.
Beyond that I'm looking forward to what the future has to offer from the new cast.
The Spock character was by far the best. I loved the looks he got, and the chuckles from the audience, in the transporter scene with Uhura.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I saw the new movie today with my son.
I thought it was pretty good.
Only complaints:
I didn't much care for Kirk's character. At least not at this point. Understandably, he was supposed to be cocky. But the cockiness was overdone to the point where he came off as a D-bag. And, yes I am old enough to remember the original Kirk.:eek:
Second, and a minor complaint at best; Chechov's (sp chk?) accent was wwwery over played.
Beyond that I'm looking forward to what the future has to offer from the new cast.
The Spock character was by far the best. I loved the looks he got, and the chuckles from the audience, in the transporter scene with Uhura.
Very interesting viewpoints here Nomo. I must say that I agree 100%. Kirk was a bit too overplayed, but all in all a pretty good movie. Scotty's accent did not bother me too bad. Spock was done superbly and Uhura was such a nice looking hottie! Just wished they toned down the making out between them. Spock is always all about business. Like you, I am looking forward to the next one with the new cast. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Only complaints:
Don't forget, in the original series he is not out of the academy but well passed it, so we have no real idea what he was like at an earlier age and how much time toned down his youthful behavior.:D

I would have thought that by the 22nd century, he would have grown up with English and no accent. Cannot remember the 1st season and his accent in the show. And, again, by the time we see him, it may have been many years after the academy but still surprised that he had any accent.

40 years after the the original is a long time not to bring it up to today's morality and standards:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Spock was done superbly and Uhura was such a nice looking hottie! Just wished they toned down the making out between them. Spock is always all about business. Like you, I am looking forward to the next one with the new cast. ;):);)
Cheers,
Phil

Not sure why they would have or should have. Remember, the original was walking on eggshells with many of the story lines for that time period.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
i just got back from seeing the movie in imax. the movie was good, but the imax "experience" sucked. Some imax theaters are set up just like normal theaters, but this was one of the dome ones, so everything was stretched the fit the dome. picture quality sucked and was entirely distorted. i think im going to have to rewatch the movie, because I couldn't really tell what was going on. However, the 12,000 watt audio system sounded pretty good :D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just came back- thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Much of my previous Star Trek experience came from watching the original movies, as well as scattered episodes of TNG and DS9. I truly appreciated the way they both wrote and casted the reboot.

Took the wife- as a non-Star Trek watcher, she really enjoyed the movie as well. I think that's one of the things I liked most... they made the movie interesting enough to attract non-fans.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
i just got back from seeing the movie in imax. the movie was good, but the imax "experience" sucked. Some imax theaters are set up just like normal theaters, but this was one of the dome ones, so everything was stretched the fit the dome. picture quality sucked and was entirely distorted. i think im going to have to rewatch the movie, because I couldn't really tell what was going on. However, the 12,000 watt audio system sounded pretty good :D
Too bad you live out East - I saw it at a Harkins Cinemas Cine Capri (Southwest chain) which boasts a digital projection 70ft wide screen with 40000 watts of sound thru 144 speakers. Seen The Hulk and now Star Trek there and it's damned impressive. The warp drive SFX was nirvana. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure why they would have or should have. Remember, the original was walking on eggshells with many of the story lines for that time period.

Very good point! The making-out scenes were a bit unnecessary imho. However, we all know that "sex sells". :D:D At least, she is a hottie! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
It seems every Russian speaks English like Natasha of Rocky and Bukkwinkle fame. Yes I know I am going back a long long way. I thought the same during the Indiana Jones movie last year. Muse must die get muse now shoot skwirl

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I saw this movie twice in DLP and on Film. The DLP theater was using Christie Projection system http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/Markets/DigitalCinema/

There was some ghosting in the image that was very slight. I have no idea what was causing it, and it was only noticeable in the first 2 acts of the movie. In the end, I thought the film version looked better.

Examining the bridge of the USS kelvin compared to the enterprise, i thought the Kelvin was much nicer and more true to star trek, then the cheesy enterprise bridge.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Very good point! The making-out scenes were a bit unnecessary imho. However, we all know that "sex sells". :D:D At least, she is a hottie! ;);)
Cheers,

Phil
Well, they did leave out same sex couples making out:D
I am sure in their universe it is a normal event;):D
Now we are both happy:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Too bad you live out East - I saw it at a Harkins Cinemas Cine Capri (Southwest chain) which boasts a digital projection 70ft wide screen with 40000 watts of sound thru 144 speakers. Seen The Hulk and now Star Trek there and it's damned impressive. The warp drive SFX was nirvana. :D
How was that digital video? You know what format, 2k or 4k?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This movie was highly overratted and over hyped. My biggest fears happened - the hollywoodification of Star Trek. I will go more into detail on my next post. I am currently detoxing by watching Star Trek II to restore my image of Kirk and the Star Trek world.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, they did leave out same sex couples making out:D
I am sure in their universe it is a normal event;):D
Now we are both happy:)
Very much agreed on the same sex thing. Just never realized Spock was such a real ladies man. :cool::eek::cool: At least, that is how he was portrayed. Can't say I agree with it, but that is the way it is. You know-take it or leave it. ;););)

Cheers,

Phil

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Very much agreed on the same sex thing. Just never realized Spock was such a real ladies man. :cool::eek::cool: At least, that is how he was portrayed. Can't say I agree with it, but that is the way it is. You know-take it or leave it. ;););)
Cheers,

Phil
He is still very young and is battling his internal ordeals, two distinct parentage, for now even though he went through whatever as a Vulcan.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
He is still very young and is battling his internal ordeals, two distinct parentage, for now even though he went through whatever as a Vulcan.:D
Hey hey.........I guess Vulcans need love too! :eek::D:eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is what Spoc's father finally said in the end, why he married and Earth woman:D Logical and love.

LOL..........no doubt! Actually, Spock is a bit of a rebel imho. Either way, I think his character was done better than the others-well as far as looks go anyways. :cool::p:cool:

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis