Standmount speakers: $2K, 4K or $6K?

T

TheStalker

Banned
Epos Epic 2s are one of my favorite inexpensive speakers. They are an amazing value and sound terrific. This is the kind of speaker that obliterates ID stuff like Ascend Sierra 1NRT. If I had to rank strictly under $5000 my favorite current production monitor speakers, it would be as follows:

B&W CM5
Totem Model 1 Signature
Epos Epic 2

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Stalker I wouldn't say it Obliterates the sierras because the ascends do certain things well, granted the epos is also one of my favorites too, you can not use that to say ID companies are trash. Ascend gives you a lot for your money, I run the 340s in my HT setup and they are amazing speakers for HT and I looked and looked for speakers to use and there wasnt anything in the price range that could compare in my room... I like the csb1's as much if not more than the epic2's and them are an inexpensive id speaker... The salk, and phil stuff gets rave reviews and I haven't heard someone that bought them say a bad word about them, and even pro reviewers {not that I hold much stock in them} compare them to speakers well beyond their price points...

ID offers great value and personal customer support, I can't call and talk to the owner of Sonus Faber, but I have The owner of Ascends number in my cell phone...

I find you top 3 odd, I think the cbm170se's sound better than the cm5's, and the Totems never really impressed me.

M

mark620

Enthusiast
I do get what your saying. It bothers me to pay a lot to much for something and not be happy with it. It seems you rarely get what you pay for these days I would most likely enjoy the speaker more if I built it myself, I may have a cabinet builder make my enclosure .

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Their your ears and its your money, so you need to buy what makes sense to you, only you know what you like and what its worth to you, did you try out the psb One B's?
I've been hesitant on the PSB's because of cosmetics that just don't have the appeal to me, but I have read a lot of good things about them

Unfortunately I don't have a dealer in my area who carries the One B. I could go the Audio Advisor route though, so I'll keep those in mind when it comes down to finalizing things. I am pursuing the Salk Silks, which may be my first mail-order audition.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Stalker I wouldn't say it Obliterates the sierras because the ascends do certain things well, granted the epos is also one of my favorites too, you can not use that to say ID companies are trash. Ascend gives you a lot for your money, I run the 340s in my HT setup and they are amazing speakers for HT and I looked and looked for speakers to use and there wasnt anything in the price range that could compare in my room... I like the csb1's as much if not more than the epic2's and them are an inexpensive id speaker... The salk, and phil stuff gets rave reviews and I haven't heard someone that bought them say a bad word about them, and even pro reviewers {not that I hold much stock in them} compare them to speakers well beyond their price points...

ID offers great value and personal customer support, I can't call and talk to the owner of Sonus Faber, but I have The owner of Ascends number in my cell phone...
Yes, OK, you have Dave's phone number, so do I. But that does not make the sluggish, fat, boomy, dull, no micro detail whatsoever, slow sounding midwoofer in the Sierras sound any better. There just comes a time where you have to go by what sounds good, not by customer service, or hype online. The midrange of the Kevlar midwoofer in the CM5s is extremely detailed, snappy, layered, and sounds like Stax headphones. It's on another level better than the Sierras and for same price. That same magical midrange is also present to some extent in the Totem Model 1s and Epic 2s.

ID companies actually offer worse value than retail from reputable manufacturers. Under $2000 we have SVS Ultras, Salk MBOW (and variants), Ascend Sierra, Carnegie, GR Research, etc. Most of those use cheap soft MDF cabinets from China. Have you actually measured the resonance on some of these? Crossovers use cheap Bennic parts, Chinese coils, electrolytic capacitors in the woofer slope correction circuit, etc. Cheap, barely mid-fi drivers like Peerless, Seas Prestige, Vifa, Tang Bang, Dayton, Usher, and other Chinese garbage. LR4 acoustical slopes because they are a no brainer.

Now for the same price, have you seen what the cabinets look like inside the CM5s, or Totem Model 1s? Damping sheets on walls, dense stuffing, extremely intricate bracing, etc. CM5s use very high quality cast Kevlar woofers and Nautilus tweeters, complete with the tubed chambers, etc. Model 1s have modified Seas tweeters where the designer has added a special chamber and poly cones from Dynaudio variants. CM5s have Supreme Mundorf ($50+) capacitors and heavy gauge aircore coils, which have been baked. Model 1s have Solen bypassed with high quality Polyester caps, Solen aircore inductors, silver wiring, and WBT binding posts. CM5s also have true LR2 acoustic slopes, which is very difficult to design and require specialty drivers.

Some of these retail companies offer a true hi-fi product at mid-fi prices. ID companies offer mid-fi 20 year old technology and pretend to give you a good deal. I've heard most ID offerings and just honestly don't get it. It's stuff I used to make in high school.

Last edited:
T

TheStalker

Banned
I've been hesitant on the PSB's because of cosmetics that just don't have the appeal to me, but I have read a lot of good things about them

Unfortunately I don't have a dealer in my area who carries the One B. I could go the Audio Advisor route though, so I'll keep those in mind when it comes down to finalizing things. I am pursuing the Salk Silks, which may be my first mail-order audition.
PSB is not even mid-fi. Bottom of the barrel Vifa tweeters ($20) and Peerless woofers. They are OK for what they are, but you are way beyond that.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ID companies actually offer worse value than retail from reputable manufacturers. Under $2000 we have SVS Ultras, Salk MBOW (and variants), Ascend Sierra, Carnegie, GR Research, etc. Most of those use cheap soft MDF cabinets from China. Have you actually measured the resonance on some of these? Crossovers use cheap Bennic parts, Chinese coils, electrolytic capacitors in the woofer slope correction circuit, etc. Cheap, barely mid-fi drivers like Peerless, Seas Prestige, Vifa, Tang Bang, Dayton, Usher, and other Chinese garbage. LR4 acoustical slopes because they are a no brainer.
Previously readers here wondered if you are ignorant or foolish. Since posting this, you have clearly demonstrated your ignorance beyond any doubt.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Previously readers here wondered if you are ignorant or foolish. Since posting this, you have clearly demonstrated your ignorance beyond any doubt.
In your biased, mostly ID owning, opinion.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, OK, you have Dave's phone number, so do I. But that does not make the sluggish, fat, boomy, dull, no micro detail whatsoever, slow sounding midwoofer in the Sierras sound any better. There just comes a time where you have to go by what sounds good, not by customer service, or hype online. The midrange of the Kevlar midwoofer in the CM5s is extremely detailed, snappy, layered, and sounds like Stax headphones. It's on another level better than the Sierras and for same price. That same magical midrange is also present to some extent in the Totem Model 1s and Epic 2s.

Now for the same price, have you seen what the cabinets look like inside the CM5s, or Totem Model 1s? Damping sheets on walls, dense stuffing, extremely intricate bracing, etc. CM5s use very high quality cast Kevlar woofers and Nautilus tweeters, complete with the tubed chambers, etc. Model 1s have modified Seas tweeters where the designer has added a special chamber and poly cones from Dynaudio variants. CM5s have Supreme Mundorf ($50+) capacitors and heavy gauge aircore coils, which have been baked. Model 1s have Solen bypassed with high quality Polyester caps, Solen aircore inductors, silver wiring, and WBT binding posts. CM5s also have true LR2 acoustic slopes, which is very difficult to design and require specialty drivers.

Some of these retail companies offer a true hi-fi product at mid-fi prices. ID companies offer mid-fi 20 year old technology and pretend to give you a good deal. I've heard most ID offerings and just honestly don't get it. It's stuff I used to make in high school.
Does B&W put really expensive cables in their speakers too? Why when you explain it that way with the mundorf caps and exotic materials it must be better than a speaker that doesn't have them things, lol... You are something else, in one breath you are preaching sound over cost and in the other you are saying because that stuff is expensive they are better... The CM5's are not very good sounding speakers, IMO you can do much better. I don't think you ever heard the sierras in your life, since they sonud better than cm5's hands down... You go ahead and pay for a name and fancy colored drivers, Ill let me ears do the deciding...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you guys still feeding the troll? He's loving it. He wants a response from you. :eek:

Just ignore. Don't respond. That is the ONLY way. As the late Chris Farley would say, "For the love of gods, just don't respond." :D

T

TheStalker

Banned
Why are you guys still feeding the troll? He's loving it. He wants a response from you. :eek:

Just ignore. Don't respond. That is the ONLY way. As the late Chris Farley would say, "For the love of gods, just don't respond." :D
You should take your own advice.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

But he's right about one thing--Jim Salk does use cheap crappy Chinese cabinets. No, wait.......

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
But he's right about one thing--Jim Salk does use cheap crappy Chinese cabinets. No, wait.......
Dennis, he was just stating the obvious, everyone knows all ID companies are using Flintstone speaker technology, the cheapest 3rd world components, and cabinets made by 12 year old Mongolians out of recycled laminated fast food containers... I always knew you guys had a huge cardboard drum full of speakers that you blindly pulled out and threw into PE cabinets, vawalla Phil 3's... Its easy...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...and cabinets made by 12 year old Mongolians...
Which actually might be a selling point. Did you know that at least one Mongolian girl was genetically traced back to the Amazons? Seriously.

Okay, human genetics lesson over. Back to your regularly scheduled (and often sidetracked) thread. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
WOW, Amazons really? I buy so much stuff from them, I am a prime member, never knew they were mongolians..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis