Standmount speakers: $2K, 4K or $6K?

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
I remember the JBL L1 - they are nice
I agree. I had the L7's for several years, but I think the L1's were the best speaker in the line. They still can be found used on ebay, but rarely in good condition.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
So, just to keep everyone who's been following my efforts in selecting standmount speakers updated, here's how I've finalized my list for home audition.

Pre-thread my initial candidates based on brief in-dealer auditions included:
Revel M106 ($2K)
McIntosh XR50 ($4K)
Totem Element Series Fire ($6K)

Post-thread my plan is to home audition the following:
B&W CM5 ($1495, matching stands $400)
Salk Silk Monitor ($3495)
Totem Element Series Fire ($6K)

Why the changes?
I'm going with the B&W CM5 because I couldn't find a dealer from whom I could home audition the Revel M106, and the CM5 seems to still be holding its own as a contender in the $2K price range. And although a minor factor, their "wenge" finish option would work well in my listening room. Finally, the CM5 is very accessible with Magnolia/Best Buy's 15 day full refund policy, which is significant with respect to a home trial.

I'm going with the Salk Silks based on several recommendations from Forum members (thanks all), and after extensive in-dealer listening to the McIntosh XR50 caused them to drop off the list as a serious contender. Several others in the $2K or less price range sounded better to me than the Mac's at $4K. Also, Jim Salk has been very accessible and accomodating in arranging for the original prototype Silks to be sent to me for audition.

I'm staying with the Totem Fires as the $6K option, although they sounded a bit bright during a second in-dealer listening session, at a different dealer. The first dealer ran them on a McIntosh amp and the second on a Bryston amp, so perhaps the amp or room acoustics could be the reason.

I have also done a lot of research on the Totems, and although not across the board, the reviews and various forum comments have been very good, albeit occasionally contradictory with some reviewers citing the brightness and forwardness I also heard (some even warning of listener fatigue) but then followed by other's characterizations as laid back or smooth. (The more research you do the more confusing it gets, so I'm done with that!...although the listener fatigue comments have registered in the back of my mind because that's something I want to avoid at all costs)

For the home audition I will first be driving these speakers with a Muscial Fidelity M6500i integrated amplifier ($7K, 500 wpc), followed by a McIntosh MA5200 ($4.5K, 100 wpc). With the MF in-house I feel comfortable that amp power needed to drive these speakers adequately will not be an issue.

So, that's the plan. The MF amp and Salk Silks are due to arrive later this week, and the CM5's in about two weeks. All three of those I can have for at least two weeks after they arrive before having to return what I don't want to keep. The McIntosh amp and Totem speakers will be overnight auditions.

So anyway, if you're interested please stay tuned. Any comments rergarding best practices for home auditioning would be appreciated.

Thx.

W

Wavetouch

Audiophyte
Home audition -- Grand teton speakers.

Hi jbltmp,
I am Alex with Wavetouch Audio.
I just found your thread "Stand mount speaker: $2k.." I admit that I am late! I hope the party is not over yet. Would you please include our Grand Teton speaker in your audition list? I will pay for a round Fedex fee. You pay 0.

You can read few reviews and comments of Grand Teton speakers (GTs) in the net.

I can send a pair of Baltic Birch Grand Teton speakers tomorrow from Los Angeles.
Sincerely,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the offer. Looks like an intriguing speaker. I'd be glad to incude it in the mix, so let's connect off-line.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
What about the Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton monitors, someone over on Audiogon Forum just replaced his big Wilson Audio Sophia speakers for some of these Grand Teton monitors.

AudiogoN Forums: Teton monitors from Wavetouch Audio - A Must Hear
Went back to track this recommendation after being contacted by Wavetouch designer Alex Yoon who is sending me a pair of his speakers to include in my auditioning. He references the following review on his site:
Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton Loudspeaker

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Went back to track this recommendation after being contacted by Wavetouch designer Alex Yoon who is sending me a pair of his speakers to include in my auditioning. He references the following review on his site:
Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton Loudspeaker
And, some people think the JBL Studio 530 bookshelf looks strange.:)

Interesting looking crossover of the speaker - and this speaker does have pink.

Will wait for your comments

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Here are some other pics sent to me by Alex Yoon as a guide to setting up the speakers. They do take some care in getting set up. The speakers he sent me are the prototypes of a new model he is designing to be called "Mt Rainier", similar in size and appearance to the Grand Tetons but with upgraded Scanspeak woofers. Coincidentally, or maybe not so because of their quality, Jim Salk uses Scanspeak woofers in the Silk, although a different model.
Listening starts tomorrow.
<v:shape style="width: 228.6pt; height: 199.2pt;" id="그림_x0020_50" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="DSC_3248.jpg" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\jeffbre\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:href="cid:924B6FE572C749DBA6849D42AC24022F@jbreglioPC"><v:shape style="width: 228.6pt; height: 199.2pt;" id="그림_x0020_50" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="DSC_3248.jpg" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\jeffbre\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:href="cid:924B6FE572C749DBA6849D42AC24022F@jbreglioPC">mt rainier 1.jpg
mt rainier 2.jpg
mt rainier 3.jpgmt rainier 4.jpg
mt rainier 7.png
</v:imagedata></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
And, some people think the JBL Studio 530 bookshelf looks strange.:)

Interesting looking crossover of the speaker - and this speaker does have pink.

Will wait for your comments
I think we have a new fug-ugly speaker champion of the world. :eek: And I should know ugly, I own a pair LS50's. :D There may be other entries that I'm not aware of, so feel free to enter your own speakers for submission. :p

Luckily our ears are blind, otherwise ... :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think we have a new fug-ugly speaker champion of the world. :eek: And I should know ugly, I own a pair LS50's. :D There may be other entries that I'm not aware of, so feel free to enter your own speakers for submission. :p

Luckily our ears are blind, otherwise ... :)
Yeah, no kidding. I'm big on aesthetic and those speakers do not pass the test. :D

D

Daniel K

Audiophyte
I have listened to Totem for many times,lots of models including element fire.Sounds good, shape is good, so the higher price is acceptable.However, you can't find one to beat it in the same price, for a bookshelf.
Mcintosh?They are good at amplifiers. Taked some technique from Snell. Sound good, so this could be a choice.
Revel…Can I say I don't like Harman?They only know business.Do I choose to ignore this one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have listened to Totem for many times,lots of models including element fire.Sounds good, shape is good, so the higher price is acceptable.However, you can't find one to beat it in the same price, for a bookshelf.
Mcintosh?They are good at amplifiers. Taked some technique from Snell. Sound good, so this could be a choice.
Revel…Can I say I don't like Harman?They only know business.Do I choose to ignore this one.
You can say you don't like Harman, and someone else can say he doesn't like Totem, etc.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Certainly you can say that, although some JBL fans may disagree. :eek:

I think the Revels (M-106's) are worth a listen. Like the Totems, they seem to me to be a good value in their price class.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Here are some other pics sent to me by Alex Yoon as a guide to setting up the speakers. They do take some care in getting set up. The speakers he sent me are the prototypes of a new model he is designing to be called "Mt Rainier", similar in size and appearance to the Grand Tetons but with upgraded Scanspeak woofers. Coincidentally, or maybe not so because of their quality, Jim Salk uses Scanspeak woofers in the Silk, although a different model.
Listening starts tomorrow.
<v:shape style="width: 228.6pt; height: 199.2pt;" id="그림_x0020_50" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" alt="DSC_3248.jpg"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:924B6FE572C749DBA6849D42AC24022F@jbreglioPC" src="file:///C:\Users\jeffbre\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg"><v:shape style="width: 228.6pt; height: 199.2pt;" id="그림_x0020_50" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" alt="DSC_3248.jpg"> <v:imagedata o:href="cid:924B6FE572C749DBA6849D42AC24022F@jbreglioPC" src="file:///C:\Users\jeffbre\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg">
</v:imagedata></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>
Correction to the previous post...
Actually, the speakers he sent me are the X-over parts testing cabinets of the new "Mt Rainier" which will be a trapezoidal shape, real plywood cabinets and upgraded Scanspeak woofers

D

Daniel K

Audiophyte
Yes, the words for Harman is just my own sentiment,So thread owner, ignore this line about Revel, I apologize:)

D

Daniel K

Audiophyte
Yes, the words about Harman is just my own sentiment.I apologize if I hurt someone.It's all about personal emotion,not about products. So let's come back to product discussion.I can't provide any comment about revel M-106 until I heard it.But for the other one, you can take it as some useful information.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Broke out the Mt. Rainiers yesterday. (pictures below with the sound diffusers (foam and velcro pieces I've chosen to install on the end of the tubed wave guides). Will spend the day warming them up. Unpacking and setup instructions are very detailed and relatively easy to follow for a complex speaker like this. The documetation includes the following comment by Designer Alex Yoon:

"Your new speakers are different from all your previous speakers. Please be ready to hear the difference. Your ears need some time to get used to a newsound”.

Different indeed!

I'll hold off commenting on sound for now, but I will say that the appearance of the speaker is less odd in real life than in pictures, although they'd still provide quite a conversation piece!

100_1664.jpg

100_1665.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Broke out the Mt. Rainiers yesterday. (pictures below with the sound diffusers (foam and velcro pieces I've chosen to install on the end of the tubed wave guides). Will spend the day warming them up. Unpacking and setup instructions are very detailed and relatively easy to follow for a complex speaker like this. The documetation includes the following comment by Designer Alex Yoon:

"Your new speakers are different from all your previous speakers. Please be ready to hear the difference. Your ears need some time to get used to a newsound”.

Different indeed!

I'll hold off commenting on sound for now, but I will say that the appearance of the speaker is less odd in real life than in pictures, although they'd still provide quite a conversation piece!

View attachment 12931

View attachment 12932
I will just say that they look .........well,..................unique.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis