Speaker Recommendation

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Try to find a B&W dealer. They are one of the better B&M speaker brands.(IMO)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1426

While you are there, listen to the 805S. This is how a bookshelf speaker should sound.
$1249.95ea retail.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1153
Hey Zumbo;

I went to the Local H & W dealer (A real store, with lots of product). What a great experience:) Good people, good product, simply wonderful. :)

Going to be cranking here at work this morning, I'll write something later. H& W is now in the lead for me

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Zumbo;

I went to the Local H & W dealer (A real store, with lots of product). What a great experience:) Good people, good product, simply wonderful. :)

Going to be cranking here at work this morning, I'll write something later. H& W is now in the lead for me
I'm sure me meant B&W. Try to find a Usher dealer in your area also.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Next opinions please:D

B & W 600 series speakers / sub's?

The 685's Bookshelf

The HTM 62 Center Channel

The AWS 610 Sub

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Didn't this thread get like.. totally jacked? :)

I'm losing track now.. was it guinness or Nimrod who wanted to spend $1500? Or was it $3000? Where are we now?

If $1500 for the whole setup, zumbo has been recommending the Polk Rti line and for their price I'd say they are great. If you're spending a little more, there are zillions of options. If you're spending $3K, I think you can get a few pretty awesome setups. Based on my experience, if you like the B&W sound, you might also want to look at Monitor Audio.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan

I'm losing track now.. was it guinness or Nimrod who wanted to spend $1500? Or was it $3000? Where are we now?

If $1500 for the whole setup, zumbo has been recommending the Polk Rti line and for their price I'd say they are great. If you're spending a little more, there are zillions of options. If you're spending $3K, I think you can get a few pretty awesome setups. Based on my experience, if you like the B&W sound, you might also want to look at Monitor Audio.
Actually, guiness started at 1500, then asked how much better 3000 would be. Nimrod did hijack, but seeing as how both were looking for the same information, I don't think guiness cared.

A

AVTechnologyGuy

Audiophyte
Some Speaker Advice

I would like to upgrade my speakers in the near future (6-12 months) I currently have a Samsung 40 inch lcd, Onkyo 605, Bose Acoustimass 5, a pair of hometech in the wall speakers, klispch sub (10 inch). The bose are approximately 7 years old and have served their purpose, it's just time to upgrade. Size and appearance does matter, but sound is more important. They would be used for home theater 75 percent of the time and for music the rest. The room is approximately 12x20.
Yes, definitely try to stay away from "cube" type speakers. Their performance is not that of a more substantial speaker such as an enclosed (box) type speaker or an in-wall speaker.

First, it is best to know your environment and system guidelines before choosing specific brands or equipment.

Check out the article named "In-Wall Speakers" that was recently posted in the TechSmart knowledgebase on Contractor's A/V.com. It contains information about various types of layouts and configuration rules for in-wall speakers, particularly for Home Theater types of configurations. Here is the article: In-Wall Speakers Info for Home Theaters and other Applications

You mentioned that you are considering "on-wall speakers." Note that the many of the rules for on-wall speakers apply as they would for "in-wall speakers."

Once you determine the practical layout for your system, you will have a good idea of the types of equipment you can use. Then, you can start selecting specific brands of speakers and other equipment.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
N

Nimrod

Audioholic

I was at $1,500;)

Currently (if it rains today) I'm going back to the local HT store to rip on some speakers.

Also I sent an email to RBH, expalining my fustrations with there poor dealer network. RBH got back to me promptly, with new dealers, which I called... and holy mackrel!!! They picked up the phone, we had a nice conversation:)

I'm thinking the Polks that Zumbo mentioned are going to be to bright sounding for me:(

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
I endorsed the Polks as you can get them cheaper than any B&Ws. For their price (Rti6 for example) they sound pretty good overall. I'll admit that they did sound a bit harsh to me.

Don't know if you can build an RBH system within your budget. You might want to check on prices. As for B&W, you can economize somewhat if you look for older models (like the previous version 6 series). I'm sure there are plenty of dealers who also have those in stock and want to get rid of them. But if you do look at them, be advised that they may sound rather different than the current series. That is what I found with the 6 series and in fact, I didn't like the older model 6 series' sound.

If you really have your heart set on some speakers that are going to run you beyond your budget, I would suggest dropping the surrounds for the moment and adding them later on. That way you can get what you want, rather than harbor a regret.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
I endorsed the Polks as you can get them cheaper than any B&Ws. For their price (Rti6 for example) they sound pretty good overall. I'll admit that they did sound a bit harsh to me.

Don't know if you can build an RBH system within your budget. You might want to check on prices. As for B&W, you can economize somewhat if you look for older models (like the previous version 6 series). I'm sure there are plenty of dealers who also have those in stock and want to get rid of them. But if you do look at them, be advised that they may sound rather different than the current series. That is what I found with the 6 series and in fact, I didn't like the older model 6 series' sound.

If you really have your heart set on some speakers that are going to run you beyond your budget, I would suggest dropping the surrounds for the moment and adding them later on. That way you can get what you want, rather than harbor a regret.
My "budget" is really just a number:)
The Local HT Shop here is a B & W dealer, and yep... thats where I'll be spending the money = Center Channel, 2 Bookshelfs and a Sub. They Local Shop said the same thing (skip the surrond one for now). Honestly the B & W are effective for the price

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm thinking the Polks that Zumbo mentioned are going to be to bright sounding for me:(
Honestly, while B&W does a superb job with hard dome tweeters, Polk uses silk domes. Not bright at all.:confused:

G

guiness

Enthusiast
Sorry guys lost track, I thought this thread was dead. But there has been some great info added for me to look over. I'm sure I will have more questions after I begin to read some of the articles posted.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Okay... Left work early yesterday to go speaker shopping:)

The B & H setup is sweet. The highlight is the Center Channel and Sub.
The Mid's out of the Center :cool: I had brought Mark Knofflers Sailing to Philadelphia = Wow. Knoffler tends to mummmmmmmmmmmmble, and with my crappy speakers he's really hard to understand. Not with the B & H Center Channel.

Also the Sub.......... for such a physically small box (wife friendly) that sucker moves some air:D

Now I have to makeup a model of the center channel to see if its going to fit (Hoping);)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The B & H setup is sweet.
B&H? Not again.:D

Knoffler tends to mummmmmmmmmmmmble, and with my crappy speakers he's really hard to understand.
Funny how real speakers make the vocals sound like the person is in the room. Just think what a movie would sound like. Horror flicks can get you, if they are done right.:eek:

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
B&H? Not again.:D
wanted to make sure you where paying attention;)

BTW = I made up the Center Channel model today acording BOWERS & WILKINS Dimensions. I'll smugle it in the house later when my wife is not looking:rolleyes:

The Sub is "Wife Friendly"
The Center channel.... not so much so:eek:

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Okay... Left work early yesterday to go speaker shopping:)

The B & H setup is sweet. The highlight is the Center Channel and Sub.
The Mid's out of the Center :cool: I had brought Mark Knofflers Sailing to Philadelphia = Wow. Knoffler tends to mummmmmmmmmmmmble, and with my crappy speakers he's really hard to understand. Not with the B & H Center Channel.
Hey that's a pretty good CD. I especially like the first song on that one, and yeah.. Knopfler does mumble :).

As for the center channel, I don't understand. Were you using a DVD-A or playing through some extended surround mode (or surround processor)? If not, why does the center channel come into play at all?

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Yup = thats it

MAde up my model..........Boy………………………. With the 61 center channel, the tv, and the enclosure of the entertainment center…… it’s freaking tight…. The Riser I had planned, pretty much just got shot down.

Plan “B”

Now I’ll have to see, if I can find an “L” bracket to mount the center channel from the top (above the TV) of the enclosure…….

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Hey that's a pretty good CD. I especially like the first song on that one, and yeah.. Knopfler does mumble :).

As for the center channel, I don't understand. Were you using a DVD-A or playing through some extended surround mode (or surround processor)? If not, why does the center channel come into play at all?
Track "Speedway to Nazareth" I like using for reference. Knofflers productions are extremley well done in terms of sound quality, so its great for checking stuff out. And yes I was running the music thru a surrond mode so I could hear all the speakers at once (fronts and center), then isolate them:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis