Speaker Recommendation

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
A room with hardwood floors as opposed to one with a carpet is much more reflective and will drive you absolutley nuts without treating the room acoustically. A highly reflective room is usually called a "live" room as a opposed to a "dead room"
Yes....
I'm a "half fast" Guitar Player. Now when I take out the Guitar, the sound really "Jumps" out of the Guitar. Its very noticeable now with the new floor

Also in terms of test driving speakers... this I found interested.
The Sales-Guy said to bring in Cd's I like to listen to, blah, blah, blah. I explained that most of the time the sound system is going to be used for HT stuff, not listening to music.

His response was "That’s fine.... Getting good HT sound is easy..... It’s getting the Music you like to sound good……… that’s allot more challenging…. There’s a lot more stuff going on, on a music cd then you’ll have going on in a movie"

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Sales-Guy said to bring in Cd's I like to listen to, blah, blah, blah. I explained that most of the time the sound system is going to be used for HT stuff, not listening to music.

His response was "That’s fine.... Getting good HT sound is easy..... It’s getting the Music you like to sound good……… that’s allot more challenging…. There’s a lot more stuff going on, on a music cd then you’ll have going on in a movie"
I agree. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree and disagree with what he said

Yes....
I'm a "half fast" Guitar Player. Now when I take out the Guitar, the sound really "Jumps" out of the Guitar. Its very noticeable now with the new floor

With 5 channel and a movie, one tends to get engrossed in the picture or film, what have you and the sound although important takes a backseat in your mind. As long as the dialogue is clear, the subwoofer is rattling the cats of the chandaliers and your S>O> is yelling at you to turn it down, your not really concentarting on the sound. Secondly there is no imaging, no soundstage to perceive as you are immersed in 5 channel sound. Its coming from all directions.

Now for music, especially 2 channel sound, I find myslef listening only, no other distractions taking place (except for theS.O. yelling for me ot turn it down ). I pay attention to the sound, the realism, my system is trying to achieve, the soundstage. I'm focussed totally on the sound and because of that, I take notice of these details.

I built my system around music 1st even tho I use mine 50/50 for music and HT. If it can do music well, espcially 2 channel, then it should do HT well also.

G

guiness

Enthusiast
Since I am reasonable happy with my setup for now, what if I was to expand my budget to say $3,000. What kind of jump in performance should I expect and what should I look at for that kind of money. Also I just bought the sub this year, do I really need to upgrade that right away?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Since I am reasonable happy with my setup for now, what if I was to expand my budget to say $3,000. What kind of jump in performance should I expect and what should I look at for that kind of money. Also I just bought the sub this year, do I really need to upgrade that right away?
You can expect a HUGH jump in performance for $3000. Also seeing that you have a Klipsch sub I would say yes up-grade it.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I have had good luck wiht Accessories for Less. The sales guy I talked to said they get models that are big in Europe, but discontinued, or last year's model. They carry the two speaker lines that I have owned since I would consider myself armed and dangerous with audio knowledge.

The first brand I would reccomend is Mordaunt Short. I owned the 500 series THX speakers and they were hot. Here is a link MS 502 Those are $800 and include the built in subwoofers. That is a steal, IMHO. If you move around the site you can add the center and surrounds and be around $1500. (i think they are working on the site...)

I recently upgraded. I bought these Canton's, for under $2000 delivered. The matching sub and center would put you at $3000. Surrounds would be more.

I consider the fronts to be the crown jewels of any system. I am saving to buy the matching Canton Karat sub and center. I have some JBL's filling in temporarily. The Canton Karat L800s took my sound to a whole new level of listening. Deeper richer fuller more robust louder with less distortion... I could go on and on.

So. I loved my old front speakers very much. But the new ones at more than double the price are a whole new level of listening pleasure. Twice as good? Probably not, but they ARE better............HTH.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
slow down mazer

You can expect a HUGH jump in performance for $3000. Also seeing that you have a Klipsch sub I would say yes up-grade it.
Just because the sub is Klipsh doesn't mean its bright!! :D

I heard a 10" klipsh sub about 7 years back that made equivalent 10" subs from Energy, Mirage, Axiom, and Paradigm subs sound like midrange woofers. This sub, forgot the model number unfortunately, not only played deep but played hard and fast as well. It was th eonly sub to hit the bottom of a test DVD where all other subs quit about half way down. It was the sub to beat at that time.

That being said, I don't know what model of Klipsh is being used now.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
More Opinions wanted

How does the Definative ProCinema 800 and 1000 series, stack up against the SVS SBS-01 with the PB12-NSD?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just because the sub is Klipsh doesn't mean its bright!! :D
Who said anything about the sub being bright. I don't think you've ever seen me write something about that.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
More Opinions wanted

How does the Definative ProCinema 800 and 1000 series, stack up against the SVS SBS-01 with the PB12-NSD?
IMO the Paradigm ProCinema's don't stack up.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It was a joke mazer... based on Klipsch being a bright so

Who said anything about the sub being bright. I don't think you've ever seen me write something about that.
based on Klipsch being a bright sounding speaker but we all know that bright cannot be used to describe a sub, hence the smiley face.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
IMO the Paradigm ProCinema's don't stack up.
Thanks.

It didn’t do anything for me either,:confused: but my ear is just starting to develop for this stuff.

Found another place to hit on the way home tonight:D I'll post up more questions shortly

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Try to find a B&W dealer. They are one of the better B&M speaker brands.(IMO)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1426

While you are there, listen to the 805S. This is how a bookshelf speaker should sound.
$1249.95ea retail.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1153
Yesterday I called 2 RBH "Dealers", which I got from the RBH Web site. Neither one picked up the phone, left messages, maybe their closed on Wednesdays, out on a job, busy, etc... :confused:

So, I'm driving home and one of the "Dealers" calls back. My 15 year old Son displays a higher maturity level then this "dealer". :mad:

Gad Zooks...What an awful phone call.... First the guy has no stock, but he'll "give me a great price". Then he tells me all about his upcoming divorce, how his house is torn apart (he's painting), then about a job he once did installing RBH stuff and "the customer loved it" and how He'll "give me a great price".:rolleyes:

I explained that before spending a couple thousand plus on speakers I'm going to have to hear them. The guy was a broken record, yep... kept telling me "He'll give me a great price", as nicely as I could I hung up on the guy = what a waste of time.:eek:

The Second "Dealer";drive to the address. It’s a super tiny showroom, they are closed "Hours by appointment only", yep they never called back.

RBH is off the list

I'm going to the B&W dealer tonight (Real, Professional store) and test drive some stuff:)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like my experience with Paradigm dealers. These people need to get a grip.:rolleyes:

B&W will do the trick. Take the time to get tuned to the sound. Think of standing in a room with nothing but you and the band. They reveal everything in the music. Some like this, some don't. I am a musician, and I want my music to sound as close to being there as it can.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Nimrod,

Yesterday I called 2 RBH "Dealers", which I got from the RBH Web site. Neither one picked up the phone, left messages, maybe their closed on Wednesdays, out on a job, busy, etc... :confused:

So, I'm driving home and one of the "Dealers" calls back. My 15 year old Son displays a higher maturity level then this "dealer". :mad:

Gad Zooks...What an awful phone call.... First the guy has no stock, but he'll "give me a great price". Then he tells me all about his upcoming divorce, how his house is torn apart (he's painting), then about a job he once did installing RBH stuff and "the customer loved it" and how He'll "give me a great price".:rolleyes:

I explained that before spending a couple thousand plus on speakers I'm going to have to hear them. The guy was a broken record, yep... kept telling me "He'll give me a great price", as nicely as I could I hung up on the guy = what a waste of time.:eek:

The Second "Dealer";drive to the address. It’s a super tiny showroom, they are closed "Hours by appointment only", yep they never called back.

RBH is off the list

I'm going to the B&W dealer tonight (Real, Professional store) and test drive some stuff:)
Since you are now looking at the B&W805s, see fi you can't locate a PSB dealership nearby and try an audition these;

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/93

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/6

N

Nimrod

Audioholic

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis