lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure what you're asking, what volume scale I want to use ? I'm just trying to get all speakers to be equal volume level, and want to be the most accurate I can
When 0 is reference and if your scale is in negative dB that's probably the relative scale you have it set to use.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Thank you. I just looked at those pages. Which brings me to my next question Why do they recommend turning the volume up to 0 ? What would be the real difference , if all the speakers are equal levels? And leveling the Subs is a bit confusing, meaning. When all speakers are made to be all equal anyway ? why does Yamaha say if subs are set to mono, To adjust agains the left main speaker ? Thank you

Last edited:
JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok. I just read that .. relative and absolute volume scales . Thank you so much.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Now I only listen at -20 or -3o. And that's pretty loud with The way I calibrated it , Now if I calibrate it this way will -20 -30 not be as loud?? Meaning if calibrated at master volume -11.5 vs 0 and 75 vs 80 The correct way the volume would have to be raised to get the same volume I'm used to at -30 correct ? Make sense

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you. I just looked at those pages. Which brings me to my next question Why do they recommend turning the volume up to 0 ? What would be the real difference , if all the speakers are equal levels? And leveling the Subs is a bit confusing, meaning. When we all speakers are made to be all equal anyway, why does Yamaha say if subs are set to mono, To adjust agains the left main speaker ? Thank you
So that at 0 you will be at reference level. Refer to the previous post where someone explained about -30dB from reference (105dB). It's just to have a somewhat common reference, especially useful for forum discussion of level so we're sort of talking about the same thing....you can do what you like.

Off to read the sub stuff....don't remember that part and already deleted the manual....

ps I'm a bit groggy this morning and now the thing about reference I'm not good with....back after I read more in your manual anyways.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now I only listen at -20 or -3o. And that's pretty loud with The way I calibrated it , Now if I calibrate it this way will -20 -30 not be as loud?? Meaning if calibrated at master volume -11.5 vs 0 and 75 vs 80 The correct way the volume would have to be raised to get the same volume I'm used to at -30 correct ? Make sense
Try and see but I think you've got it. "0" reference is quite loud....and music isn't calibrated to this standard really, it's a movies thing (and even then there's variance).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay @JOHN FICKEL, I read the sub thing on page 73, the subwoofer setting I'd use is monaural....or do you have dual subs? Otherwise they're options for dual subs. I don't see where you see to adjust to the left main thing, what page is that? Is that something to do with which output to use if you have just one sub?

Okay, as to the setting to 0 for the speaker measure. I think its the calibration of the volume knob to set it to 0. The tones will still be output at 75dB, which is calibration for reference level of "0" when you're finished....the avr adjusts for the 30dB internally.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have two Klipsch R-115sw subs. I do have it set to mono so both subs are playing the same signal . I have all speakers turned to small and my crossover setting is at 60hz. The thing I was referring to was on page 61 on the right of the page about the sub calibration

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Gene, has always recommend setting subs to mono . From my experience if you select front and rear, the rear only kicks on during certain movies or maybe I'm wrong ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gene, has always recommend setting subs to mono . From my experience if you select front and rear, the rear only kicks on during certain movies or maybe I'm wrong ?
Gene is? I've not had an avr with that front/rear/stereo choice. I'd agree monaural would be the way to go, especially if it does some funky distribution of signal otherwise.

I have two Klipsch R-115sw subs. I do have it set to mono so both subs are playing the same signal . I have all speakers turned to small and my crossover setting is at 60hz. The thing I was referring to was on page 61 on the right of the page about the sub calibration
I see it now up at the top of the page....I have read that a few times and don't know if that's just a bad translation? It doesn't refer to the spl level or use of the meter so assume it means the sub is also calibrated at 75?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
That's why that confused me, because your calibrating all speakers to 75 DB anyways . And yes Mono is selected in the Z9 for the subs . Now because I am driving myself nuts with this lol , I decided to let the Z9 do the" distance "" and the "leveling'' ONLY. Nothing else. No equalization, or size. I just have to manually tweak the sub volumes and I'm still toying whether not I want to cross over at 60 Hz or 80 Hz .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say the avr is better at setting delay (distance) than you; your sub especially. Unless perhaps your subs are not equidistant to your listening position, but there's no manual or auto fix in your avr for that (from what I can see at least), you would need something like a minidsp for that. Even when an avr auto cal routine sets a speaker to large (assume thats what you refer to as size?) it kind of defeats the purpose of using a sub to best effect. Crossover depends on a few things, experiment. I normally say start at 80. Personally am using 120 right now but was using 100 recently...my subs work fine well past 200hz; this despite my fronts/surrounds speaker usually being set to 40/60 by the avr.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have been trying to just to get a good bass response for movies and music, it's pretty hard to get a happy medium. I have Klipsch RF-7 ll's for my mains. That's why I have crossed over at 60 Hz . 80 seems to draw a lot more attention to it self especially watching movies

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have been trying to just to get a good bass response for movies and music, it's pretty hard to get a happy medium. I have Klipsch RF-7 ll's for my mains. That's why I have crossed over at 60 Hz . 80 seems to draw a lot more attention to it self especially watching movies
Have you optimized the sub locations?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
How would one Do that ? Do you mean, are they in correct areas? My front sub is 12.7 ft away if I measure with a tape measure . YPAO puts it at 15.8. Ft The back sub is 10.5 ft with a tape measure, YPAO puts that also 15.8 ft away. It's an L shaped living room. The front sub is in the left corner and the back sub is in the right back corner

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well one way is with a measurement mic and something like REW software. Sub crawl could be another. I think in mono it makes sense that YPAO has no choice but to pick a single distance (delay) setting. The distance setting in ft doesn't necessarily mean physical distance, especially with a sub due to the processing time taken in its amp; this is why I'd let the avr set delay/distance.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea. When iv run YPAO in the past it hasn't been equal , but within a ft or so. But your right pretty close to the same. This time there equal. Now I'm just messing with LEVEL . If I change from 60hz to 80hz , I shouldn't have to run YPAO again right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea. When iv run YPAO in the past it hasn't been equal , but within a ft or so. But your right pretty close to the same. This time there equal. Now I'm just messing with LEVEL . If I change from 60hz to 80hz , I shouldn't have to run YPAO again right?
General rule with the auto eq usually is you can raise, but not lower, the crossover...shouldn't be any need to rerun it (which would reset it anyways).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How would one Do that ? Do you mean, are they in correct areas? My front sub is 12.7 ft away if I measure with a tape measure . YPAO puts it at 15.8. Ft The back sub is 10.5 ft with a tape measure, YPAO puts that also 15.8 ft away. It's an L shaped living room. The front sub is in the left corner and the back sub is in the right back corner
Don't mess with the distance. YPAO, like Audyssey is setting not only physical distance but also audio signal delay.

You don't have to run YPAO again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked again at some of the literature for the avr, looking for something about the different measurement of the subs, they don't mention that capability....and when searching the manual I don't remember it mentioning that. Good feature!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis