JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I hear when you level all your speakers, to use 75db as a reference level . Can you use a higher reference level or should you stick with 75 DB ?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I hear when you level all your speakers, to use 75db as a reference level . Can you use a higher reference level or should you stick with 75 DB ?
If you're using the pink noise provided by the receiver to level, then yes. That pink noise is set to -30DBFS, which would be 75db or 30db below peak reference.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Ok. I will redo to 75db. I'm using the YAMAHA RX-Z9 pink noise, with a Radio Shack SPL meter affixed to a tripod. How much of a angle should I have on the meter? Thank you! I have been using 80 db as a reference level , but will change to 75

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ok. I will redo to 75db. I'm using the YAMAHA RX-Z9 pink noise, with a Radio Shack SPL meter affixed to a tripod. How much of a angle should I have on the meter? Thank you! I have been using 80 db as a reference level , but will change to 75
SPL meter should be at ear height, basically where you're head is and point at each speaker as you do one at a time.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
OK I understand the SPL meter has to be at your ear height, and I do have It at ear height on the tripod on the couch. I'm wondering if I should tilt the meter up towards the ceiling a little bit ?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see a reason why you can't use 80 dB. The absolute reference level you choose doesn't matter as much as getting all the speakers in the surround system to be equally loud.

When I first set the level on my speakers, I found that any lower than 75 dB would allow other sounds, such as the furnace/AC system or the refrigerator in the nearby kitchen, to interfere with the pink noise from the receiver. Set the volume high enough to be louder than those other sounds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't see a reason why you can't use 80 dB. The absolute reference level you choose doesn't matter as much as getting all the speakers in the surround system to be equally loud.

When I first set the level on my speakers, I found that any lower than 75 dB would allow other sounds, such as the furnace/AC system or the refrigerator in the nearby kitchen, to interfere with the pink noise from the receiver. Set the volume high enough to be louder than those other sounds.
I would rather shut all that stuff off, do the leveling and then use the volume control to adjust SPL to taste with them on. It keeps a sense of that reference point, and what SPL your ears are actually getting. Not that you couldn't add 5 to whatever your negative number is to know what peaks you could be potentially getting.

Then again, I usually watch movies at -10 to 0 so setting it 5db more than reference just increases hearing damage.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea I don't watch that loud lol. I'm usually at -30 to -25, I'll probably keep at 80db and my subs to 85 unless you really don't think I should ?? How did you determine subwoofer DISTANCE ? Iv heard so many different things on that subject. Can you please shed some light on this Thank you so much

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yea I don't watch that loud lol. I'm usually at -30 to -25, I'll probably keep at 80db and my subs to 85 unless you really don't think I should ?? How did you determine subwoofer DISTANCE ? Iv heard so many different things on that subject. Can you please shed some light on this Thank you so much
You shouldn't try to set sub distance on your own. Sub distance is a combination of physical distance and delay of the signal. While you can set physical distance letting the unit do the heavy lifting setting delay is advisable.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Just one other question, where should the MASTER volume be set, while adjusting each speaker level?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Be sure you average it out for your entire listening area and not just one spot.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The absolute reference level you choose doesn't matter as much as getting all the speakers in the surround system to be equally loud.
Agree. "Level" is "Level", at both 75dB and 80dB.
Ambient noise should be eliminated as much as possible no matter what reference you use.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Agree. "Level" is "Level", at both 75dB and 80dB.
Ambient noise should be eliminated as much as possible no matter what reference you use.
I agree with when using the absolute volume scale. Not so much with the relative.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have a Yamaha RX-Z9. I have always used. -11.5 on the master volume. Then with a meter adjusted to 80db.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I'm not sure what you're asking, what volume scale I want to use ? I'm just trying to get all speakers to be equal volume level, and want to be the most accurate I can

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis