Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisRai

Enthusiast
I haven't exactly paid attention to speaker break-in, but I have noticed it with my headphones. For speakers, I think that the driver will always stay the same, but that the surround is relatively stiff when you first receive the speaker. When you play it for a while, the surround loosens, sort of like a new pair of pants. The bass might sound not as deep as after playing time as the surround does not allow the driver to extend as far. Once it loosens up the woofer is allowed more room to move during the deep bass notes, making them louder. I also doubt tweeters go through burn-in, however.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If we listen long enough it will eventually start to sound right to us and after enough time it will become our reference, since we are accustomed to it.
Like a nagging wife? ;) Is that why they always tell us we have "selective hearing?" :rolleyes:

C

chikoo

Audioholic Intern
I agree with the original conclusion.

It is simply the matter of our ears & mind adjusting to the speakers.

I have listened to fairly new speakers and my old speakers of the same make and model and they sound the same (to me).

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
break in

the whole break in issue was started with planar type speaker's & over the year's has followed thru to all other area's of hifi & is complete nonsense.

all the 'break in period' is about is the ear getting used to the new sound,nothing more,but it is a clever trick used by manufacturer's.

L

LCRush

Audioholic Intern
While the technical information tended to be very technical, it appeared to me to mainly address bass and midrange speakers. Little was stated about tweeters, or did I skip read too much? I found that my Polk Speakers tended to be fairly crisp or bright, at first. Now they have mellowed and I do not find them objectionable, at all. Maybe, my ears just became more accustomed to the sound. I did break in my speakers for about 50 hours, before turning them up to blast at me.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While the technical information tended to be very technical, it appeared to me to mainly address bass and midrange speakers. Little was stated about tweeters, or did I skip read too much? I found that my Polk Speakers tended to be fairly crisp or bright, at first. Now they have mellowed and I do not find them objectionable, at all. Maybe, my ears just became more accustomed to the sound. I did break in my speakers for about 50 hours, before turning them up to blast at me.
Tweeters weren't directly addressed b/c they experience even less break in than mids and woofers. 50hrs of usage is likely your ears getting used to the speakers rather than them improving in fidelity.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
LCRush said:
I found that my Polk Speakers tended to be fairly crisp or bright, at first. Now they have mellowed and I do not find them objectionable, at all. Maybe, my ears just became more accustomed to the sound. I did break in my speakers for about 50 hours, before turning them up to blast at me.

As gene stated, plus, your memory of events after 50 hrs and who knows how many days that took, is not reliable at all. would have been better to do a side by side comparison, one new, one old. Even then, other precautions would be needed.

wilmeland

wilmeland

Audioholic Intern
my last response here

Ok, I've listened to all and would say there is a valid point to the explanation that "your ears break in" or "your frame of reference is re-established". I definitely acknowledge that this should be considered. Especially for someone who listens exclusively to one system.

Howerer, when you look at any testing results, there is a definite modification in the output of a driver during break in. This is dismissed as "negligible". I believe that change is change and change in one or two components (mid & woofer), combined can represent an audible difference for those who can can hear it. This is incredibly logical for me since a raw speaker driver is only a small part of the crossover, enclosure and complimenting speakers that make up a finished hi-fi speaker.

So, to sum it up - if you don't hear it, thats ok, but a lot of us can hear it & there is acoustical science that would back up what we hear. If you can't hear it and don't believe, that's ok too. Again, just enjoy!

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
wilmeland said:
Ok, I've listened to all and would say there is a valid point to the explanation that "your ears break in" or "your frame of reference is re-established". I definitely acknowledge that this should be considered. Especially for someone who listens exclusively to one system.

Howerer, when you look at any testing results, there is a definite modification in the output of a driver during break in. This is dismissed as "negligible". I believe that change is change and change in one or two components (mid & woofer), combined can represent an audible difference for those who can can hear it. This is incredibly logical for me since a raw speaker driver is only a small part of the crossover, enclosure and complimenting speakers that make up a finished hi-fi speaker.

So, to sum it up - if you don't hear it, thats ok, but a lot of us can hear it & there is acoustical science that would back up what we hear. If you can't hear it and don't believe, that's ok too. Again, just enjoy!
love the zappa crappa pic,i have a poster of that but my wife aint buying me putting it anywhere that anybody can see it so it's been relegated to the basement,she did ok me putting up the zappa/mona lisa poster in the old listening room though,i think the whole idea of somebody taking a dump really turned her off.

i swear women have no sense of humor:)

B

BassHead

Banned
gene said:
There has been a lot of talk lately about Speaker Break In among our forum users. Since there seems to be much confusion and misinformation about this topic we asked Mark Sanfilipo (our resident Loudspeaker Expert) to author an article on this topic and share his experiences and research.

Speaker Break In
If it don't break in the first week,Its broken in.:)

D

dknightd

Audiophyte
I guess I'm still confused about this whole break in thing. I personally think it does happen, especially to things that have moving parts, like speakers.
I've also heard it happen, or think I have heard it happen.

Some items in the quoted article I'd like clarification on if possible.
The author states:

"When a newly-minted driver rolls off the assembly line it will typically not measure or otherwise perform as one of its well-broken in siblings does. In large part these differences arise owing to the fact that said driver’s spider (often crafted of a varnish-impregnated linen) is not as compliant as it will become once it’s broken in properly. Depending on number of mechanical factors relating to its design, construction and materials composition, a net post-burn in compliance increase on the order of 5% - 10% would not be unusual."

So, he clearly believes that speaker breakin does occur.

He follows this with some textbook math. Then states:

"Required break in time for the common spider-diaphragm-surround is typically on the order of 10s of seconds and is a one-off proposition, not requiring repetition. Once broken in, the driver should measure/perform as do its siblings, within usual unit-to-unit parameter tolerances."

I agree with the first part of this statement, initial breakin happens in a fairly short time if done as he suggests- with a signal that fully stretches the spider and suround. I'd says perhaps in a minute or two. After a couple of minutes of burnin a raw driver is ready to be measured. Obviously the details will depend on the driver but a few minutes of being fully stretched should be enough. But, I think the process does require repeating. The spider and surround can both reset themselves (the material on the spider - do they still use varnish? - can reform itself, and the compliance of the rubber surround will also reset. So, until the "initial beakin" has been performed many times you have to repeat that initial breakin procedure before valid measurements can be made. Does the articles author agree with this?

The author then goes through a series of simulations assuming
"The post – break in specs are derived from a 5% increase in suspension mechanical compliance." If I understand what has been done he has assumed a 5% change in raw driver compliance and plugged it into a textbook speaker designing program. All very interesting, but if speakers could be designed by textbook to sound good we could all save ourselves alot of time listening to different speakers to decide what we like. . .

Certainly there is more to speaker design than frequency response, or am I just being silly?

next the author states
"The compliance of the air enclosed within the enclosure is significantly less than the driver’s suspension compliance, therefore the enclosure has the dominant influence where it comes to determining things such as system resonance." This totally confuses me. If true why do even consider the free air response of a raw driver? Sure, the compiance of the air in a speker cabinet is very important, but is it really dominant? I know that temperature, humidity, and pressure can significantly effect the role of air in speakers. Maybe speakers should be designed for specific altitudes and climatic conditions and use the cheapest drivers if the air plays the dominant role?
I wonder, if I take a sealed cabinet speaker to a different altitude and temperature how long does the air inside take to break in?

Finally the author gets down to what may be the salient point,
"Regardless of how completely broken in a driver may be, while under operating conditions many well-known & understood mechanisms come in to play that affect several of a driver’s measured parameters, including suspension mechanical compliance.
When under normal operating conditions, its not at all unusual to see in a driver that has already been broken in a further 5% to 20% drop in a , due largely to an increase in the mechanical compliance of driver’s suspension. In this case, typically it’s the temporary elastic deformation of the surround that’s the cause of the increase in driver compliance.
Cease stimulus and the driver’s compliance will return – in most cases within seconds or minutes depending upon surround design, material composition, ambient temperature and so on - to its pre-stimulus value; the compliance changes are temporary. So too are the changes that occur in all the other driver parameters that are effected by compliance, hence the changes in , etc."

What is not well understood in my opinion is how these changes in raw speaker performance change with a driver that is "well broken in". And how long it takes to reach this stage. Is a few 10's of seconds at near full extension enough? Does this have to be repeated many times? Is there a difference between breaking in a driver quickly at near full extension at the resonant frequency in free air and using smaller excursions at a variety of frequencies in an enclosure? Is 10's of seconds enough for all drivers?

What is not addressed in the article are the possible effects of speaker cone breakin. I wonder what these might be in a cone that did not "sport titanium diaphragms"

Maybe 10's of seconds of break in at near full excursion of a raw driver really is equivalant to 10's of hours of normal listening with a driver mounted in a box? I don't think so, but could be wrong. All I know is I will not judge a speaker until it stops sounding differently - sometimes that takes longer than I would expect.

The breakin thing is real, as noted by the author of the linked article. What is not clear is how long it takes, and what path it takes. Though not stated, one thing is clear, break in is the first step to break down. I suspect that break in and break down both happen fairly quickly in the liftime of a speaker. It is the in between time that we hope our speakers will spend most of their time. There is no doubt that our ears/minds also adjust. How much of the difference is due to speaker changes vs mind changes has not been determined and probably varies. . . My 2 cents

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Speaker Break In - Headphones? - Yes

A year or two ago I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones based on their being somewhat of a best value in sealed headphones at their price point (i.e. Headroom assessment). It was noted in reviews and forums that the HD 212 Pros had a major bass emphasis, which I thought I might like for rock music. When I first bought them I was floored by the bass emphasis and was prepared to return them as they were a too bass heavy. It was then I read about headphone break in. Forum writers were recommending a 24 hour break in at normal listening volumes. Having done that I noticed a significantly lower bass emphasis to the point where I decided I would keep the headphones. Over time the bass emphasis has decreased further to the point where I now consider my HD 212 Pro headphones to be roughly balanced between the bass and the rest of the audio frequency spectrum, although it will still play deep notes (for an over the ear headphone) when the deep notes are present. It has been like turning a receiver's bass control knob from maximum bass to normal or neutral.
I know this is a subjective assessment, but I could not tolerate the bass at first and now I am quite happy with this purchase. I know it is possible I might have grown use to the bass emphasis to some degree but not enough to explain the degree of change that occurred. I have not noticed this break in change in any other of my audio system components over the past 30 years.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Exit said:
A year or two ago I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones based on their being somewhat of a best value in sealed headphones at their price point (i.e. Headroom assessment). It was noted in reviews and forums that the HD 212 Pros had a major bass emphasis, which I thought I might like for rock music. When I first bought them I was floored by the bass emphasis and was prepared to return them as they were a too bass heavy. It was then I read about headphone break in. Forum writers were recommending a 24 hour break in at normal listening volumes. Having done that I noticed a significantly lower bass emphasis to the point where I decided I would keep the headphones. Over time the bass emphasis has decreased further to the point where I now consider my HD 212 Pro headphones to be roughly balanced between the bass and the rest of the audio frequency spectrum, although it will still play deep notes (for an over the ear headphone) when the deep notes are present. It has been like turning a receiver's bass control knob from maximum bass to normal or neutral.
I know this is a subjective assessment, but I could not tolerate the bass at first and now I am quite happy with this purchase. I know it is possible I might have grown use to the bass emphasis to some degree but not enough to explain the degree of change that occurred. I have not noticed this break in change in any other of my audio system components over the past 30 years.

If you go on head-fi you will see that people have done objective measurements of certain headphones that clearly show a change in freq. response after several hundred hours of use. I haven't really heard any changes in my own headphone setup, but I know many people who claim they have.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sleestack said:
If you go on head-fi you will see that people have done objective measurements of certain headphones that clearly show a change in freq. response after several hundred hours of use. I haven't really heard any changes in my own headphone setup, but I know many people who claim they have.

Do you have any numbers as an example?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Do you have any numbers as an example?
I'd have to go back and look, but you can go to head-fi and search the forum. There was a lengthy thread some time ago, but I don't remember specific numbers as the topic wasn't of much interest to me.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Headphone Break-in

sleestack,

Thanks for the info on HeadFi. It is an interesting site I had not seen. I didn't chase down the thread on measurements of headphone break-in, but I did read the sticky note in the start of the forum on head-phone break-in. It provides a good summary of headphone break-in on discussions through various threads over time. It prompts me to add that for my headphones (Sennheiser HD 212 Pro) break-in occurred, but that it is not a universal experience by any means.

I just made the headphone break-in post because if some small headphone speakers have break-in, then what are the ramifications for other speakers as far as break-in possibilities go. Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to hear from speaker manufacturers on this topic and how much, if any, test break-in time do speakers undergo before being sold, and if break-in is factored into a final design or not. Do manufactures use a high stress screening of raw speakers, which may be a form of accelerated break-in thus accounting for lack of break-in noticeable by the consumer? Maybe speaker break-in is pecular to (some) headphones only, or only noticed by people on (some) headphones.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Speaker Break (Burn) In

I re-read the original start of this thread, and as I understand it, speaker break-in (or burn-in) likely occurs at the speaker manufacturer. This can result in permanent changes in speaker response, but after that, attempts at burn in by consumers results in at most temporary response shifts.

Possibly, some headphones, being relatively lower cost items than most speaker systems (say those under $100), do not receive manufacturer burn in due to the time (i.e. added cost) it would take relative to the low cost of the item. Maybe mostly higher-end headphones or certain premium brands receive manufacturer speaker burn-in, for example. Also it may be that speaker response shifts in headphones may be more readily perceived because of the closed environment of headphones, where room acoustics are not generally involved (i.e. sound infiltration into open air headphones possibly being a exception), and it is the direct sound of the speakers that is being heard.

Also maybe lower cost loudspeakers do not receive burn-in for the same low cost constraints, but the burn-in is not perceived because of the lesser performance of low-end systems, and the low-end market served is generally not so discerning of sound qualities as high-end audio customers.

The fact that the break-in (burn-in) question appears in the HeadFi forum as one of those "some believe in it and some don't" topics indicates one should at least keep an open mind on the subject and be aware, that at least in headphone shopping, it may be worth while to scour the headphone forums for information on headphone break-in which may affect your purchasing decision. I for one know it can make a major difference in the final sound experience (mine was for the better). I don't think this divergence of thought on headphone speaker break-in is in the same ballpark as "snake oil" cable quality sound differences for example, but it is likely a result of people having different experiences with differerent products which lead them to have different beliefs. There is clearly no one "universal experience" of headphone break-in which would settle the matter clearly.

This is just what I have determined to be my thoughts on the subject of speaker break-in. Anyone else is welcome to chime in pro or con.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Beyond a second or two of burn-in, I don't think it occurs with headphones. I've never seen anything to prove otherwise. Your ears (and mind) do adjust to sound over time though, which can lead to enjoying your headphones more over time, IMHO. I've experienced this many times, with headphones old and new. The phenomenon is real, but it occurs between your ears, IMHO. ;)

Exit said:
The fact that the break-in (burn-in) question appears in the HeadFi forum as one of those "some believe in it and some don't" topics indicates one should at least keep an open mind on the subject and be aware, that at least in headphone shopping, it may be worth while to scour the headphone forums for information on headphone break-in which may affect your purchasing decision.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sleestack said:
The measurements I saw on there some time back were done by incompetant people whom were not ensuring a control situation. If you witnessed a test that did employ proper controls, I would appreciate a link to such. All I saw was normal variation of measured response due to not having controls set up. A seemingly trivial move of the headphone position by a 1/8" between two measurements will affect the measured response difference visibly in a graph.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
There is nothing to burn in on a normal dynamic headphone. On a dynamic mid-woofer or woofer speaker, in the first few minutes or hours of operation, the brand new suspension components/glues may loosen mechanically, thus causing a very slight reduction of the Fs[resonant frequency] of the transducer(s). This would result in slight increase of low frequency extension. The use of the dynamic transducer at high rates of excursion/incursion may temporarily stress the rubber surround causing a temporary and very slight change in it's physical properties that would return to normal when the high level of stress is reduced or stopped. The in the magnetic gap at these extreme movements will likely be of a far greater magnitude in effect.

A normal dynamic headphone has no such suspension system. The diaphragm is terminated directly to the edges of the transducer frame. Slight physical property changes may occur in the diaphragm during use at constant high amplitudes if it heats appreciably, or if used in very extreme temperature climates; but no permanent change would occur. I believe it to be improbable that the small change that may occur temporarily due to the latter explanation would be audible. Even if you did find headphones with a suspension system that can 'break' in like a speaker suspension, it would be a subtle difference, and the sound difference was be directly attributable to the Fs of the driver.

Burn in of an audible magnitude on standard headphones is something often assumed to exist without real evidence. You will adjust/compensate, mentally, for the new sound balance. So, metaphorically, you may burn in to the headphones.

-Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis