Speaker Balancing and Maximum Volume Level

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Ross,

Actually, I have not used an SPL meter with my Yamaha 1400.  I used the YPAO and it seems to have done a great job.    I am sure I will try and manually calibrate it in the future just to see if there is a difference.  On my previous receiver, the test tones were a little to short for the SPL meter to get a good solid reading on.  That's why I suggested the Test disk.   You're right, I think the test tones were continuous on the Yamaha.  I'll check tonight just out of curiosity.  The SPL meter may work fine with the Yamaha though.  I have not tried yet.   Regardless, the Sound and Vision disk is a great learning tool in regard to calibration.   I would recc. that anyone that really want's to learn about proper calibration should get this disk.  It's cheap.  The Avia on the other hand is a bit more.    

Shinerman</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>&quot;I did get the volume to 0 which I assume is peak watt output&quot;

Zumbo,
I beleive the &quot;0db&quot; reading on the front panel indicates that a reference level signal of the source being played should be heard in your room. &nbsp;In my room, &quot;0db&quot; measures a little over 80db spl levels from all my speakers from my listening position. &nbsp;

...and, it may or may not indicate peak wattage output. &nbsp;Depending on your speaker sensitivity/power demands, room size, etc., it may even be able to go a bit further. &nbsp;If no routine thermal shutdowns or overheating have occured, then by all means continue down that path and enjoy!

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers