Sony VPL-VW50 projector....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is $1500 a great price for a new in box VPL-VW50 without a warranty? This is all assuming it works. The source is irrelevant, I just want the facts.:)

Go projector experts, I'm counting on you.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just ran it thru AVS search engine. Someone picked one up for $800 several months ago, so if this is used, I'd look for a better deal. There is yet another thread asking for a comparo vs the Pana 4000, and it seems that most think that they will be much more similar than not. The difference is that the 4000 will be brand new, with a host of features.

The greatest detractor of Sony PJs is strube; just run Sony keyword with his name in this subforum, and cross-check for issues, including lack of vertical shift IIRC. Besides the unreliability he experienced.

Remember, the bulb ain't cheap, so factor that in when comparing with a new model. BMXTRIX normally advises against buying used, and I'm sure he has the experience/knowledge to back that up.

Crap, how come I never read your posts carefully, ok it's new. No warranty. I guarantee strube will tell you to run away.

One of the bigger fans of this model says that the bulb's brightness drops off quickly, but it should be said that bulbs are said to have great variation.

No warranty. Hmrz. I doubt it's possible, but you might add an aftermarket warranty, but there's the problem, probably not from authorized seller. I got a Mack 6 yr warranty plus two free bulbs for a grand total of $260. :cool:

Sorry, I can't be more specific. It's a good pj, good price, but then again, others will tell you have to see to judge for yourself.

edit: random reviews
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vw50.htm
http://www.cine4home.com/reviews/projectors/SonyVPLVW50/VPLVW50Review.htm
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/10/sony-vpl-vw50-pearl-review/
http://reviews.cnet.com/projectors-presentation-devices/sony-vpl-vw50/4505-3180_7-32069200.html

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is $1500 a great price for a new in box VPL-VW50 without a warranty? This is all assuming it works. The source is irrelevant, I just want the facts.:)

Go projector experts, I'm counting on you.
See if square trade will warranty it. It might open your options.

I'd avoid it if I were you though. Projectors are unreliable and break easily.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It would appear the deal is not as staggering as I thought, I basically started to draw some of the same conclusions but I'm not as seasoned with projectors as the experts here at AH. Even though it is NIB I think I will pass on it, I've got other fish to fry.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It would appear the deal is not as staggering as I thought, I basically started to draw some of the same conclusions but I'm not as seasoned with projectors as the experts here at AH. Even though it is NIB I think I will pass on it, I've got other fish to fry.:)
For 1500 I'd suggest either the Sanyo from Amazon or the Optoma HD20.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not really in the market for a projector, I thought that the projector might be an extraordinary deal. Turns out that it was not an extraordinary deal and I am perfectly happy not buying a projector.:)

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
Projectors are great to see movies on weekends............ i love mine......

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Projectors are great to see movies on weekends............ i love mine......
I agree. Nothing beats the experience of watching a movie at home on a projector. I have the VW60 and can't comment on the 50, but IMO, the VW60 is a great projector.

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
Yup..
Projectors rockx:)
They have changed the way of watching the favorite things in much better way:D

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
Well..

Seth..

You are getting the projector without warranty.. don't you think that it's risky:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis