Sony Pictures - Wuss Central

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I must admit that I'm surprised at some of the opinions expressed here. I figured all you gun-totin', live free or die, don't tread on me, 54-40 or fight, types would be all "bring it on, Kim!"
Part of it is probably because I don't ever go to a movie theater anyway, so I don't really care.

Threaten Domino's, though? Oh, it's on, Jack.

:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Part of it is probably because I don't ever go to a movie theater anyway, so I don't really care.
I would rather they released the movie to the Internet, it would be seen in far greater numbers than if it was just in the theaters.
It seems Sony knows something we don't. Tons of data was stolen and they're folding to blackmail since they know what was taken.

Threaten Domino's, though? Oh, it's on, Jack.
:D
I used to like Domino's too.
When you come out here this summer I'm taking you, Doug and Alex to Porta in Asbury for pizza and the show.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
When you come out here this summer I'm taking you, Doug and Alex to Porta in Asbury for pizza and the show.
I'm going out there this summer? Sweet! I didn't want to open your Christmas card early, but it must have tickets in it. :D

Btw, I would LOVE to go there after reading the posts from you and Alex. It would be a sad display of my social awkwardness, but that's what beer is for. :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
That's part of why I think terrorism will always win.
They sell fear. They sell and rely on it in the same way insurance companies do.
Society is willing to throw lots of money at fear.
It's fear, but in this case, it's fear of being held accountable; in other words, it's about money. I'm fairly certain if instead of criticizing Sony, the government said to them and the theaters they will not be liable for any damages as a result of a terrorist attack related to the release of this movie, they would have moved forward. At the end of the day, Sony and the theaters are companies with a bottom line to worry about; take that problem away and their fear will go out the window. I'm not saying this should be done as it opens up other potential issues, but just using this hypothetical to make a point.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It's fear, but in this case, it's fear of being held accountable; in other words, it's about money. I'm fairly certain if instead of criticizing Sony, the government said to them and the theaters they will not be liable for any damages as a result of a terrorist attack related to the release of this movie, they would have moved forward. At the end of the day, Sony is a company with a bottom line to worry about; take that problem away and their fear will go out the window. Of course, this opens up other potential issues.
I'd imagine it's a no lose situation for Sony. (though it sets a bad precedent for our country)
If they pull the movie, all their private info won't be exposed and the movie is insured for some of the losses IIRC.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Almost forgot -
I'll bet the movie eventually comes out on bluray and ends up selling very well.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If they pull the movie, all their private info won't be exposed and the movie is insured for some of the losses IIRC.
You have more faith in these terrorists having a working moral compass than I do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm torn. On one side, I don't want them to give in to threats like this. On the flip side, you know that they'd absolutely get taken to the cleaners by the courts if anything actually did happen at a movie theater showing that film. It was a pretty brilliant (or perhaps just lucky) ploy by the group making the threats because of the potential ramification of Sony and the theaters being legally culpable for injuries.

Plus, empty or not, threats made against - say - a school play are taken seriously. Why not movie theaters? Increasing security at a school is doable, but even then, parents may likely keep their kids away because a school play isn't worth the potential risk. Increasing security at thousands of theaters in a matter of two weeks is pretty tough, and they have no idea if they'd ever recoup the costs of that in ticket sales.
Unless Kim Bong Dung has made an unholy alliance with Mohammed, Abdulla, and Ahmed then how is he going to attack a movie theater? The thread it just not credible. Anyhow in times like these we have to go about our business and thumb our collective noses at whomever the current crop of deranged lunatics are parading as the flavor of the month and year.

I would have gone out of my way to go the a movie theater to see that movie.

We are all combatants in the war against the current crop of fanatics and lets not forget it. We are all in fact soldiers on the front line, when push comes to shove, and we all have to be prepared for what may come.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I have a conspiracy theory that NK was aided by Russia or China.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
NK is continuously being aided/manipulated by China. There's nothing new in that.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just a little more of my $0.02
I'm of the mind that Sony didn't fold because of threats of terrorism. Me thinks, since so many terabytes of info was stolen, personal memos, emails, proprietary corporate info/tactics, etc. Someone higher up at Sony is concerned about that getting out.
Ultimately I don't think they'll lose that much money. Between insurance and the future Blu-ray sales.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis