Sony Pictures - Wuss Central

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Can you believe they won't release The Interview, because of empty threats from North Kor...er, the "Guardians of Peace"? Granted, some theatre chains said they won't show it. But, that's their call. Sony shouldn't be backing down like this. It just sends the wrong message.:mad:

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Can you believe they won't release The Interview, because of empty threats from North Kor...er, the "Guardians of Peace"? Granted, some theatre chains said they won't show it. But, that's their call. Sony shouldn't be backing down like this. It just sends the wrong message.:mad:
It appears Sony is being pressured by the movie theatres. Not sure why they are making a fuss, unless they are scared of being hacked as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm torn. On one side, I don't want them to give in to threats like this. On the flip side, you know that they'd absolutely get taken to the cleaners by the courts if anything actually did happen at a movie theater showing that film. It was a pretty brilliant (or perhaps just lucky) ploy by the group making the threats because of the potential ramification of Sony and the theaters being legally culpable for injuries.

Plus, empty or not, threats made against - say - a school play are taken seriously. Why not movie theaters? Increasing security at a school is doable, but even then, parents may likely keep their kids away because a school play isn't worth the potential risk. Increasing security at thousands of theaters in a matter of two weeks is pretty tough, and they have no idea if they'd ever recoup the costs of that in ticket sales.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It seems as if the Achilles heel of the USA has been found.
Whether it's an anonymous terrorist or anonymous hack, there really isn't a viable way to stop the majority of them.
They've found a way to get us to throw billions of dollars at problems they cause. Problems made by unknown people/solders not necessarily wearing uniforms or flying a flag.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It doesn't take a genius to figure out who is behind this and I'm very doubtful that they would have any means to follow through on the threats. But, considering the litigious nature of your society, I suppose I can understand the reaction. Regardless, I think it sets a bad precedent to cave like that.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It seems as if the Achilles heel of the USA has been found.
Whether it's an anonymous terrorist or anonymous hack, there really isn't a viable way to stop the majority of them.
They've found a way to get us to throw billions of dollars at problems they cause. Problems made by unknown people/solders not necessarily wearing uniforms or flying a flag.
I don't think it's a appropriate film. I know it's fun poke at him, but we are talking about a nut with nukes.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
They're essentially blackmailing Sony.
The info that they already leaked was meant to embarrass Sony and our very politically correct society.
I don't know if they ever meant to follow through physically, just the threat of publicizing more stolen info.
Sony is running scared from many sides of this.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think it's a appropriate film. I know it's fun poke at him, but we are talking about a nut with nukes.
That's a good point..... but, our media pokes fun at many, many things.
All under the guise of freedom of speech and of the press. Oh, and comedy.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That's a good point..... but, our media pokes fun at many, many things.
All under the guise of freedom of speech and of the press. Oh, and comedy.
How many movies have been made about presidential assassinations - real or imaginary? Does the US government or its minions threaten movie studios because of them? No, it doesn't.

I can only assume that the concept of freedom of speech is so foreign to the DPRK and they are so paranoid, that they think this movie constitutes a physical attack on them.

Their capacity to conduct a nuclear attack is pretty limited. And, however miniscule any kind of nuclear attack would be, I think the Chinese would not be at all amused.

As far as I'm concerned, the DPRK can suck it...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How many movies have been made about presidential assassinations - real or imaginary? Does the US government or its minions threaten movie studios because of them? No, it doesn't.
At least, not publicly. :) Plus, have there been movies about an assassination plot against a sitting president? I honestly don't know, so I'm asking. There's a difference about making a movie about an attack on the office versus an attack on a specific person, IMO.

Their capacity to conduct a nuclear attack is pretty limited.
It doesn't take a nuke to wreak havoc. It doesn't even take any more action on North Korea's part. It just takes some whack job with a shotgun and a need for attention to act out the threat in a crowded theater.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Sony should put the movie out on the net for a 5 dollar donation with all proceeds going to victims of terror. Just show them we will not fold under the pressure of a mad man. That way they wouldn't have to feel like they would get sued if something happened. I don't think NK would do anything. I do however think that some lone wolf schmuck might.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It doesn't take a nuke to wreak havoc. It doesn't even take any more action on North Korea's part. It just takes some whack job with a shotgun and a need for attention to act out the threat in a crowded theater.
Like that would ever happen...:rolleyes:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It seems that this might be just the tip of the iceberg as far as North Korea goes.

Steve Carell's new film, set there as well, is now off as well. See LINKY[/url]

Lord knows how "Team America, World Police" ever slipped under their radar. "Wonley, oh so wonley..."

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the bandwagon and criticize Sony. Imagine if they had gone forward and there was an attack at a theater. How many of us would be saying "how stupid were they to go forward."

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I must admit that I'm surprised at some of the opinions expressed here. I figured all you gun-totin', live free or die, don't tread on me, 54-40 or fight, types would be all "bring it on, Kim!"

It's like I don't know you guys anymore.:(:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the bandwagon and criticize Sony. Imagine if they had gone forward and there was an attack at a theater. How many of us would be saying "how stupid were they to go forward."
That's part of why I think terrorism will always win.
They sell fear. They sell and rely on it in the same way insurance companies do.
Society is willing to throw lots of money at fear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis