Sony CEO Uncertain of Blu-ray Future

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I'm no Sony apologist, but I don't think they're any better or worse than any other company regarding a monopoly advantage.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Another poster was hammering Toshiba's monopoly of HD. I just wanted to point out that Sony is more than happy to stick-it to the customer as anyone else.

As far as I'm concerned both HD & Blu are not customer friendly [if you assume we are their customers ....]

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
All of those companies that you listed can easily make and market HD DVD players. Don't kid yourself in thinking that it would no be VERY easy for them to jump ship at any time. Panasonic or Phillips could probably create an HD DVD player in 6 months! It's my opinion that the only company that will lose face in this is Sony. They already have because of their pompous CEO and all his speeches.

As for studios, I believe Warner did not renew their membership in the Blu Ray group. I wonder why? I think it is in preparation for jumping ship.

IF you are correct, why in the world would the usually chest beating, "we won already" Sony CEO make a speech recently that questions the state of Blu Ray in the market when every other speech he's made has claimed victory? There has to be something in the market making him backpedal. No?

Pat

If Warner didn't renew their BD licence, they would not have been able to release Oceans trilogy or The Aviator which have both been released since October 30th. This whole Warner hasn't renewed their licence is more propaganda and fear mongering spread by team HD DVD - they're doing a good job of it that's for sure.

Have you actually read the Stinger speech, because the orginal article written took many liberties with Stringer's comments and by no means did he say Blu-ray and HD DVD are going to both co-exist.

As for the other companies, for sure they can all go out and make HD DVD players. But with Toshiba selling players at $99, what on Earth would attract any other CE to try and compete with that?

I'm not sure why you include Philips in your statement though, Blu-ray is primarily designed by Philips, just like SACD, CD and LD were. Sony owns the copyright, Philips is in charge of the licences.

I'm sure Panasonic would lose some face too as they along with Disney have been far more vocal proponents of Blu-ray technology than Sony has. Sony uses BD technology for PS games and that's not going to change, so they will have an outlet no matter what happens and you can be sure next year that Final Fantasy XIII will move well over a million discs in its first week of release and will also be on a BD50.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Just some of them, and I believe they have discontinued the making of them. I guess a lot of folks had problems. I have or have used about five of them and they all work fine.

Pat
It looks like all but Universal have given up on the Combo disc.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Let me guess Sony is in it out of the goodness of their hearts and any profits will go to feed starving children. :rolleyes:

There are 4 Chinese companies that have shown proto-types built off the A30 platform for CH DVD. My understanding is change a few parts and these are HD DVD players. We could be seeing the first time the traditional Japanese CE companies get by-passed and a new format comes straight from the Chinese CE companies. Could it be that we are about to see the Chinese CE industry do to the Japanese CE what the Japanese CE did to the US CE 30-40 years ago? http://stor-age.zdnet.com.cn/stor-age/2007/0907/495415.shtml
According to Keith Jack from Sigma Designs who was at the recent Chinese Electronics Show, Chinese manufacturers are more predominantly interested in Blu-ray technolgy.

Having China Hualu Group Co. join the BDA was a big move forward as they will have input on Blu-ray developments, but also in October the following was announced:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) will begin evaluating Chinese video and audio standards for inclusion in the format. The Chinese developed AVS (Advanced Video System) and DRA (Digital Rise Audio) have both been approved for use on a Chinese-only version of HD DVD. The BDA said they too will evaluate the codecs, but have not yet decided if the they will limit them to China only, or expand it to the rest of the world.
BDA spokesman and Pioneer Electronics senior VP Andy Parsons commented, "We don't know where we would draw the line, or even if we would draw a line. Generally, we haven't tried to regionalize the format."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis