So,upped the budget for mains to $2k, now what? :-) Aperion Verus Grands? Something else?

F

FLMike

Audioholic
I posted a thread yesterday where I was looking at the Aperion Verus Forte mains and Axiom M-60s. As usual, I got some good advice on alternatives and some good feedback on my choices. I have ruled out anything on the Axiom side at this point, but after a lot of thought have decided to up the budget for the mains and am thinking seriously about getting the Verus grand fronts, paired with the Verus Forte center. Yes, I understand that the matching center would be from the Grand line, but some physical constraints (height) make its size an issue. I talked with Aperion, and they said because there is good similarity in the components that this combo would be a good match. So decision made, right? Well, not so much. with Aperions new pricing the mains come in right at $2k.

What I have seen is that upping the budget into the $2k range for the mains seems to open a few other options, mostly with companies I am not familiar with (Salk for instance, among others). However I do have some guiding requirements/other info.

They need to be aesthetically pleasing, as they are in a highly visible space in my home. So finish is an important consideration. They will be used for 50/50 Music/TV-movies so they need good balance between the two uses. They will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver, so I should be good down to 6 Ohms and even 4 Ohms according to the review on AH. I have an Outlaw LFM1-Plus Sub, and will use as couple of Axiom bookshelves for surrounds (probably change out at later date, but they are just fine for now). The room is roughly 14x14, with about half the rear wall open, with 8 ft. ceilings.

So, given these parameters, have I landed on the best balance with the Aperion Verus Grands or should I be giving a serious look elsewhere? I've read through a few threads and am having as hard time coming to a clear answer. I should say that there has always been something about Aperion's aesthetic I have always liked :)

As always, thanks in advance for your suggestions and input.

Mike

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Well since you upped your budget the Grand Verus and SVS Ultra towers are probably some of the best and nicest looking towers in the 2K range Speakers - SVS

Also the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers Sierra Tower Bamboo Loudspeaker But they are 4ohms and might not be all the effiecient compared to the Aperions and SVS.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I had the Aperion Verus Grands,they are very good,but I sent them back,they just couldn't touch the Martin Logan ESL's.. Electrostat's > Box speakers..

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So, given these parameters, have I landed on the best balance with the Aperion Verus Grands or should I be giving a serious look elsewhere?
Out of curiosity, any particular reason you're mostly looking at fairly large floorstanding speakers for a relatively small room? If it were me, I'd at least consider some nicer bookshelves, ie NHT Classic 3, KEF R100 or R300, Ascend Sierra 1. Heck, some of those options would come in usefully under budget, so you could consider a sub upgrade too :D

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Steve, that is actually a great question. I guess part of the answer is that I have always had full range towers so there is an element of habit involved. But there are times that I like to turn off the sub and listen in a 2.0 setup. I think another part of it is aesthetics. I like the size and heft of floor standing speakers and the "furniture" element.

But also keep in mind that the room size is a bit misleading. Although the room is about 14x14 roughly, it is an open concept home in Florida. About half of the rear wall is fully open to the kitchen straight through to the front room with the pool table. So it is not unusual to be in the front room playing pool and listenting to music/keeping up with a game in the back (TV is large enough to watch from Kitchen or front room). So, although the primary listening area is smaller, sometimes I want to get higher volumes for the whole house. And before someone asks, running separate speakers out front is just not a project that is going to happen :). So there is some method to my madness here. But I am always open to having my mind changed, especially on this board. :)

Thanks,

Mike

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Mike,

for some reason Ascend came to mind after reading your post. I agree with Steve, but would go a step further. You may want to check out the
CMT - 340 SE Mains ($568.00pr + 40 for shipping) Add a CMT-340 SE Center ($298.00 + $26.00 shipping). With the CMT-340's add the stands, they'll have that tower speaker look. And, your under budget.

CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Loudspeaker

CMT-340 SEC High Performance Center Channel Speaker

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But there are times that I like to turn off the sub and listen in a 2.0 setup. I think another part of it is aesthetics. I like the size and heft of floor standing speakers and the "furniture" element.
FWIW I'd think of the models I listed, the NHT, KEF R300, and the Ascend would all do quite well in a 2.0 setup, though obviously you can't get true full range performance out of them (not that many tower speakers truly do either). Of course, if you want true full range performance, just turn the sub on :p Obviously aesthetics is a personal thing, and I can understand the desire for a big tower in that respect.

So, although the primary listening area is smaller, sometimes I want to get higher volumes for the whole house. And before someone asks, running separate speakers out front is just not a project that is going to happen :). So there is some method to my madness here. But I am always open to having my mind changed, especially on this board. :)
I'd guess the questions that come to mind are how far and how loud. For just keeping tabs on a game from a room or two away, I don't expect there to be any big issues, nor even for background levels of music. Of course, if you want to rock out 60 feet away, you'd probably just want to bite the bullet and go with a second zone of audio.

P

padgman1

Enthusiast
I do not have any experience with furniture-grade speaker quality, but many people have good things to say about Salk products, both sonically and aesthetically......... choosing one in your price range should not be too much of a problem.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thank you, Padgman. Two Aperion Verus Grands in Cherry came up on open box at a discount, so I snapped them up. Going to audition them in the house and go from there. Should arrive Tuesday. Glad I did, because new ones are now on backorder until 5/7.

H

Harrison20

Enthusiast
I really like my Verus Grands in paiano black. They sound great. I also looked at the logan martin ESL's, but decided against them for home theater use as you have to be sitting in the sweet spot to really get the good sound. Even standing up, when I was in the sweet spot was enough to throw it out of kilter.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks Harrison. Did you order a center as well? I have the smaller Verus Forte Center on the way, but am thinking seriously about going for the Grand Center. Problem is making space for it. It is a beast.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I really like my Verus Grands in paiano black. They sound great. I also looked at the logan martin ESL's, but decided against them for home theater use as you have to be sitting in the sweet spot to really get the good sound. Even standing up, when I was in the sweet spot was enough to throw it out of kilter.
That is absolute BS! How is there a sweet spot when you have a center channel for movies? Are you running around the house when you are listening to music,don't most people sit in one spot? You people read too much,I had the Aperion Grand Verus in Piano black,I sent the Aperions back,the Martin Logans were simply a lot more impressive! I've had both in my house.. I love how people talk about the sweet spot like its the size of your head. Even out of that sweet spot they sound just as good if not better than most box speakers.. You really can't make some of you people up..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is absolute BS! How is there a sweet spot when you have a center channel for movies? Are you running around the house when you are listening to music,don't most people sit in one spot? You people read too much,I had the Aperion Grand Verus in Piano black,I sent the Aperions back,the Martin Logans were simply a lot more impressive! I've had both in my house.. I love how people talk about the sweet spot like its the size of your head. Even out of that sweet spot they sound just as good if not better than most box speakers.. You really can't make some of you people up..
There is a speaker (s) for everyone. I actually like most speakers, including MartinLogan & DefTech. I think sometimes words get blown out of proportions and people get just a little bit carried away with descriptions.

Now, some speakers like MartinLogan, Magnepan, Def Tech/ GoldenEar, Klipsch, B&W, Vienna Acoustics, etc, don't seem to measure as flat as Aperion, PSB, Paradigm, KEF, Revel, etc.

But I think the ones that don't measure as flat can sound as good and pleasing. It's just a matter of preference and WORDINGS. :D

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
Acudef, when you say measure flat,what are you referring to? Colorations?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
How is there a sweet spot when you have a center channel for movies?
If the center channel performs poorly off axis, there can be a sweet spot.

I had the Aperion Grand Verus in Piano black,I sent the Aperions back,the Martin Logans were simply a lot more impressive! ... Even out of that sweet spot they sound just as good if not better than most box speakers.
You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but you might not find everyone agrees with them. You'd do well not to get too agitated over it.

With respect to how MLs perform off axis, here's the plots for the Prodigy:

And a little more current, the Montis:

Meanwhile, the little KEF LS50:

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
So according to those graphs? What does that mean regarding real world performance? I wasn't trying to get agitated,but when people make comments because they read something,it is ridiculous,especially when I've had most of those speakers set up properly in my home.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Acudef, when you say measure flat,what are you referring to? Colorations?
I mean the on-axis frequency response between 200Hz-10kHz is +/-3dB. Flatter would be +/-2dB or even +/-1dB.

So "flat" is like a straight line ------------------------------ . :D

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
So your talking about how far the so called sweet spot extends? The fact is,it doesn't matter which speaker you pick,they all have pro's and con's. Personally,I like the sound of an electrostat. I also know have had Mirage OMD 15's that the sound was going to be more directed by the Logan's. Some people go to best buy ,listen to the Logan's off a crappy receiver and not properly set up. Then they think they don't sound as good as the def tech's across from them with the built in sub. Its funny how many people gravitate towards the built in sub on those def tech's and not simply turn a sub on with the logan's. But,I do realize and electrostat isn't for everyone.. I also don't believe some people understand them and know what to listen for.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So according to those graphs? What does that mean regarding real world performance?
It means just be happy and enjoy if your system sounds great to you regardless of the measurements.

Some of us (myself included) go ga-ga over the best measurements. It's a hobby. If measurements make you happy, that's great. If you don't care about measurements, that's great too.

The important thing is you like the sound of your system.

I think a lot of people can get a little too excited and overstate their wordings a little bit and that may offend some people. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis