lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you are a doctor then you know what you are talking about. If you are not, then your opinion is just like mine. Only good to those that will listen. A medical fact is that a healthy colon makes a happy man.
Check my public profile.

Interfering with the colonic flora, is not a good thing and should never be done without a good reason, such as a colonoscopy prep.
Nick you just suffered the classic beat down.:p

I always thought the best diet was to eat right and exercise moderately.

I'm not great at this though.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
But, here's my humble opinion.

1) I don't think any one symptom is a cuse for alarm but if you have any doubts, go see a doctor for advice, not us fools on the internet.

2) Losing 11 pounds in three weeks by doing nothing is strange. Again, see a doctor.

3) I'd hold off on that colon cleanse until a real doctor sees and advises you.

But, YMMV.
1) well, i just thought looking at it in the worst case scenario would actually help me get my weight/health in order

2) i'm pretty sure the first half of those was water weight held down by the high salt content of my diet :)

3) i'm still thinking about that one, i'm trying to look at it from a skeptic's POV, what if all that shake you are drinking is actually the stuff that supposedly is coming off your colon ... hmmm.

mike, take care. Even slight brain damage can have serious effects. Thanks to enough not-so-careful activities in life, I deal with short term memory problems, dizzy spells, loss of focus, sudden loss of balance, blurred vision, to name a few. But man, with all those checkups, you take a lot better care of yourself than I ever did. That's a good thing. :)
i try to resist doing checkups, but my wife keeps me in line.

A doctor did tell me that once. The problem is the food we eat today. Your ancestors did not eat processed food and things with preservatives. Your body has a hard time breaking those things down.

If you have medical insurance see a doctor. I agree, losing 11 pounds that fast is suspitious unles you are drinking a lot of water and you are just losing water weight.
yup, losing just the fast food and junk food + eating just enough to get to the point of being before too full must have did it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You realize weight can fluctuate quite a lot simply from when you weigh in right? Your eating habits from the previous day can make the weight different as well.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You realize weight can fluctuate quite a lot simply from when you weigh in right? Your eating habits from the previous day can make the weight different as well.

SheepStar
yep. i weigh in everyday at the same time, in the nude (if you must know) :D

i also replaced my bathroom scale with something like this:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Funny as I picked up one of the GNC cleansing kits (week long) last week. Going to start it on Saturday.

After the baby was born I put on 18lbs before I knew it and was the heaviest I have ever been. Four month later I've lost 24lbs by cutting back on my portions, taking in more protein/water along with running and doing that P90x program. My running has actually really improved lately and my knee has been feeling pretty good.

I do need to have a checkup and get my cholesterol checked.
You are wasting your $$$ on that myth;) It does nothing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.. A medical fact is that a healthy colon makes a happy man.
And what determines that one doesn't have one without all that bs cleansing?
Yes, I have very close MD friends, by the way. And read the right journals.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

But, here's my humble opinion.

1) I don't think any one symptom is a cuse for alarm but if you have any doubts, go see a doctor for advice, not us fools on the internet.

2) Losing 11 pounds in three weeks by doing nothing is strange. Again, see a doctor.

3) I'd hold off on that colon cleanse until a real doctor sees and advises you.

But, YMMV.
Yep, such weight loss without trying to lose it by extreme measures has a cause.
Great advice.
Interesting that most of us here have an audio skepticism yet, as I am, reading this, their medical skepticism is out the window and embracing quackery.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

A doctor did tell me that once. The problem is the food we eat today. Your ancestors did not eat processed food and things with preservatives. Your body has a hard time breaking those things down.

If you have medical insurance see a doctor. I agree, losing 11 pounds that fast is suspitious unles you are drinking a lot of water and you are just losing water weight.

Better find a more reputable doctor then. He has a serious credibility issue from the sound of his advice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with processed food, yet another urban myth by some peddlers of medical voodoo:eek:
Doctors such as Andrew Weil are quacks and dangerous.

http://www.quackwatch.com/index.html

Like audio, medical issues also have their urban legends, myths voodoos and plain bs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

. the high salt content of my diet :)
That is a disaster waiting to happen:eek:

3) i'm still thinking about that one, i'm trying to look at it from a skeptic's POV, what if all that shake you are drinking is actually the stuff that supposedly is coming off your colon ... hmmm.
Please, this is not audio where you only lose some $$$. Your health is a bit more important for that little guy whose picture you post:D Find a reputable doctor, not a quack as there are a good number out there. And no, that is not what is coming off your colon; absolute nonsense.

i try to resist doing checkups, but my wife keeps me in line.
Why? Is that one of those He-man things? Not too smart not to get proper checkups by competent doctors.

yup, losing just the fast food and junk food + eating just enough to get to the point of being before too full must have did it.
That is a good possibility, but, get a confirmation from a real doctor.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

yep. i weigh in everyday at the same time, in the nude (if you must know) :D

i also replaced my bathroom scale with something like this:

But is it accurate and can repeat its performance? ;):D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yep, such weight loss without trying to lose it by extreme measures has a cause.
Great advice.
Interesting that most of us here have an audio skepticism yet, as I am, reading this, their medical skepticism is out the window and embracing quackery.:eek:
You have that right. The colon is not in need of cleansing. In fact we have a symbiotic relationship with our colonic flora.

The colon has to absorb electrically charged ions, especially sodium and potassium against a large gradient, which requires a large amount of energy. Along with this electrolyte re absorption there is water re absorption.

It was a mystery for a long time as to where this energy to fuel this high energy drive ATP driven process came from.

It turns out that the colonic flora break down soluble fiber such as pectins and oligopolyscharides to short chain fatty acids. These short chain fatty acids are absorbed directly by the colonocytes as a source of energy. There is also free fatty acids surplus to requirements that are absorbed and transmitted via the portal vein to the liver, and available for the general energy pool. On average they contribute about 500 Kcal daily. There is no digestion taking place in the colon in the sense that there is in the small bowel.

This system is quite easily upset, and the reduction in colonic flora, when taking antibiotics, reduces the colonic flora, and therefore the energy available to the colonocytes, and is one of the principle factors involved in antibiotic related diarrhea.

In terms of motility the colon is a churner, with continuous mixing going on through out the colon.

So cleansing the colon does not need. The colonic flora provide a vital function, as well as discouraging the introduction of pathological and invasive organisms.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
And what determines that one doesn't have one without all that bs cleansing?
Yes, I have very close MD friends, by the way. And read the right journals.
I never said cleansing your colon will make you healthier. He asked a question and I answered it. Reread my post.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Better find a more reputable doctor then. He has a serious credibility issue from the sound of his advice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with processed food, yet another urban myth by some peddlers of medical voodoo:eek:
Doctors such as Andrew Weil are quacks and dangerous.

http://www.quackwatch.com/index.html

Like audio, medical issues also have their urban legends, myths voodoos and plain bs.
I'm sorry, but giving me a ".com" website with a duck on the front is not a convincing arguement. You will find doctors that will agree and disagree this that statement about processed foods. And yes there is something wrong with eating processed food: watch "junck food nation."

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I gotta think TLS Guy is right about this. My doctor who recently performed my flex sigmoidoscopy said colon cleansing should be for procedure prep only and, I quote, "Your @$$ works perfectly fine without you messing around with it." LOL!

BTW, I have been farting up a storm since that day, and it was months ago... ok, AH didn't need to know that...

I gotta know...

The colonic flora provide a vital function, as well as discouraging the introduction of pathological and invasive organisms.
Am I the only one that found that funny?!?!?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I never said cleansing your colon will make you healthier. He asked a question and I answered it. Reread my post.
But didn't you state this?
A medical fact is that a healthy colon makes a happy man.

This sentence stands by itself as written, no? Came from someplace, I think. So, I just followed up on that. Or, I could have totally misread what you posted, a possibility. Maybe you can explain it to me what you really meant by it?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm sorry, but giving me a ".com" website with a duck on the front is not a convincing arguement. You will find doctors that will agree and disagree this that statement about processed foods. And yes there is something wrong with eating processed food: watch "junck food nation."
Did you bother to read that link to quackwatch? Who they are, where they get their info, like medical journals?

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
But didn't you state this?
A medical fact is that a healthy colon makes a happy man.

This sentence stands by itself as written, no? Came from someplace, I think. So, I just followed up on that. Or, I could have totally misread what you posted, a possibility. Maybe you can explain it to me what you really meant by it?
"A healthy colon makes a happy man" is what I said. At no time did I say that doing a colon cleansing will give you a healthier colon. I don't understand why you are arguing with me that a healthy colon is a good thing? It is like arguing that smoggy unhealthy air is better to breathe then clean air.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis