Smart Phone Choice!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
So, I'm definitely in the iPhone 5 camp nowadays but i agree with a lot of the points said earlier.

I guess lots of people use iTunes successfully but I personally don't care for it. When I buy CDs, I rip two copies to my home server, one is FLAC for playback over my home audio squeezeboxes, and one is MP3 Outrageous (or whatever it's called) for a high quality MP3 rip. I then use iTunes in manual mode to put the albums on my phone that I want, no autosync itunes stuff. I've found it is possible to have so much music on your phone that you have a hard time finding it. I could also do Apple Lossless if I cared but it's not worth it for my phone. DBPoweramp is your friend!

I went with the 64 GB model so that I could include movies and such.

There is no question that movies look better on a larger phone like the Samsung Galaxy or HTC One but the thing is, I only watch movies on it when I'm desperate or need to entertain a child. No phone comes close to a tablet (well, not most phones :) ) or my 92" projector.

I love a lot of the features of Android but with the exception of some of the Nexus phones, the wait for upgraded OSes is what kills it in my book. Sure, your HTC One is gorgeous but in a year when a new version of Android comes out, how long if ever will you wait for the upgrade. I keep my phones for a long time and I need them to improve over time. I just wish Apple would add some of the nicer features of Android sooner.

Lastly, I am really happy that none of the folks here have commented about iSheep. I find that really annoying as I am a professional programmer that has made a conscious decision to enter the walled garden because I just need something that works reliably, not because I can't handle re-skinning, swapping rom firmware, overclocking or all the other sort of ridiculous things my colleagues do when they "play" with their Android phones rather than just using them.

Still, I want an HTC One :) I guess what I really want is an HTC One with Nexus features.
HTC One is Uber!

Don't get me wrong I believe that Apple Iphone is a solid device, I think they are getting further behind the competition in features
- Part of the reason that Apple has such a long lifecycle with their phones, is the fact that they only used to update 1x a year
- Android updates about 1x per quarter, so its harder to keep all devices up to speed
- Apple is now updating their phones about 2x per year now, so I am curious how that will change their support
- When they do update, they do a great job of keeping most of their features, but sometimes technology does not allow for that. (i.e. Iphone 3GS and Ipad 1-2 no Suri)

The problem isn't so much the timeframe for upgrades, its the problem of the manufacturers Customizations take time to adapt to newer version of Android OS
- If you run a stock version of Android OS, upgrades will come much faster, but you would need to most likely buy an unlocked phone or Nexus
- My guess is that if you buy a phone that is hugely popular (i.e. Iphone / Samsung Android / Now HTC Android, the OS upgrades will come a lot quicker)
- If you go Verizon, buy Motorola, since they are owned by Google, I expect those devices to get upgrades quickly
- Let's face it technology is changing must faster that we, or our wallets would like!:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil,
just to add a bit to your decision making, when it comes to carriers.
Verizon is the only one that has emergency back-up generators on their cell towers.
Some other carriers have battery back-up; however they don't last very long.

Good Luck
Thanks Rick. Never really thought about power outages and such. Sure gives me something to think about. Lots to learn.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So, I'm definitely in the iPhone 5 camp nowadays but i agree with a lot of the points said earlier.

I guess lots of people use iTunes successfully but I personally don't care for it. When I buy CDs, I rip two copies to my home server, one is FLAC for playback over my home audio squeezeboxes, and one is MP3 Outrageous (or whatever it's called) for a high quality MP3 rip. I then use iTunes in manual mode to put the albums on my phone that I want, no autosync itunes stuff. I've found it is possible to have so much music on your phone that you have a hard time finding it. I could also do Apple Lossless if I cared but it's not worth it for my phone. DBPoweramp is your friend!

I went with the 64 GB model so that I could include movies and such.

There is no question that movies look better on a larger phone like the Samsung Galaxy or HTC One but the thing is, I only watch movies on it when I'm desperate or need to entertain a child. No phone comes close to a tablet (well, not most phones :) ) or my 92" projector.

I love a lot of the features of Android but with the exception of some of the Nexus phones, the wait for upgraded OSes is what kills it in my book. Sure, your HTC One is gorgeous but in a year when a new version of Android comes out, how long if ever will you wait for the upgrade. I keep my phones for a long time and I need them to improve over time. I just wish Apple would add some of the nicer features of Android sooner.

Lastly, I am really happy that none of the folks here have commented about iSheep. I find that really annoying as I am a professional programmer that has made a conscious decision to enter the walled garden because I just need something that works reliably, not because I can't handle re-skinning, swapping rom firmware, overclocking or all the other sort of ridiculous things my colleagues do when they "play" with their Android phones rather than just using them.

Still, I want an HTC One :) I guess what I really want is an HTC One with Nexus features.
Wow! Very informative. I also like the HTC One. I held one in my hands today as a matter of fact. Feels very well made. It is one I am considering right now. BTW, I also learned today that when I am at home, I can use my own internet connection to download/stream movies into my tv. As such, I would not have to use any network data limits for that. I also plan on loading music into my phone by using my cd collection for the most part. Like I said before, I have much to learn about the cell phone business. Thanks for your insights.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
HTC One is Uber!

Don't get me wrong I believe that Apple Iphone is a solid device, I think they are getting further behind the competition in features
- Part of the reason that Apple has such a long lifecycle with their phones, is the fact that they only used to update 1x a year
- Android updates about 1x per quarter, so its harder to keep all devices up to speed
- Apple is now updating their phones about 2x per year now, so I am curious how that will change their support
- When they do update, they do a great job of keeping most of their features, but sometimes technology does not allow for that. (i.e. Iphone 3GS and Ipad 1-2 no Suri)

The problem isn't so much the timeframe for upgrades, its the problem of the manufacturers Customizations take time to adapt to newer version of Android OS
- If you run a stock version of Android OS, upgrades will come much faster, but you would need to most likely buy an unlocked phone or Nexus
- My guess is that if you buy a phone that is hugely popular (i.e. Iphone / Samsung Android / Now HTC Android, the OS upgrades will come a lot quicker)
- If you go Verizon, buy Motorola, since they are owned by Google, I expect those devices to get upgrades quickly
- Let's face it technology is changing must faster that we, or our wallets would like!:D
Very informative. Thanks once again for your insights. If I do decide to go with Verizon, I will surely go for the RAZR MAXX HD. However, not too sure what network I am going to go with just yet. In no real hurry either. Have lots going on here. So, it may be a while before I finalize things.

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I thought I asked you that in one of my posts, but I must have revised it out. Was curious why you wanted to stream data from your phone when you can use your wireless network with your cell phone. That changes the game and gives you a lot more options.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I thought I asked you that in one of my posts, but I must have revised it out. Was curious why you wanted to stream data from your phone when you can use your wireless network with your cell phone. That changes the game and gives you a lot more options.
It sure does. I have taken a much closer look at the coverage in my locality. It looks like both AT&T/Verizon have 4G/LTE coverage. T-mobile also has 4G in most local areas. Sprint only has 3G which really surprises me. However, T-mobile has the best all around deals inmho. Now, it is just a matter of deciding on which phone. That may take some time, but I am making some progress. Thanks for all of your insights.

Cheers,

Phil

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I just want to give an update. First of all, I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. That being said, I have really learned a few things about smart phones. Right now, I am torn between the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy Galaxy S VI., and the iPhone 5. Of theses three, I really seem to be leaning towards the HTC One. However, AT&T has a great deal on the Samsung Galaxy S VI. and the Samsung Tab 2. I can get BOTH at a very good price with a 2-year agreement. But, I also prefer the way the iPhone 5 feels in my hands. As such, I have narrowed it down to these 3 phones. One more thing-- I seem to prefer the Android phones as the iPhones seem to be a bit dated. I can do more with an android phone or so it seems. Then, I hear rumors that Apple is releasing the IPhone 5S in just a few months. So here we go again. I do not know what to do....LOL!!!!! Right now, I am leaning towards the HTC One. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Folks, I just want to give an update. First of all, I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. That being said, I have really learned a few things about smart phones. Right now, I am torn between the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy Galaxy S VI., and the iPhone 5. Of theses three, I really seem to be leaning towards the HTC One. However, AT&T has a great deal on the Samsung Galaxy S VI. and the Samsung Tab 2. I can get BOTH at a very good price with a 2-year agreement. But, I also prefer the way the iPhone 5 feels in my hands. As such, I have narrowed it down to these 3 phones. One more thing-- I seem to prefer the Android phones as the iPhones seem to be a bit dated. I can do more with an android phone or so it seems. Then, I hear rumors that Apple is releasing the IPhone 5S in just a few months. So here we go again. I do not know what to do....LOL!!!!! Right now, I am leaning towards the HTC One. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil
If you prefer the HTC one and can get a good price on it, I'd say to go with your guy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you prefer the HTC one and can get a good price on it, I'd say to go with your guy.
Yeah that is true. But, the deal on the Samsung GS 4 AND the Samsung Tablet 2 is a very good deal as well. Then, there are rumors about an iPhone 5 S coming out in just a few months. Not really sure what to do at this point in time. Do you know anything about the HTC One?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Definately not the Z10. They are such battery hogs that you have to charge them twice in a normal 16 hour awake day even when they are brand new.
RIM has gone the down the tubes and life for them is over as a major competitor in the market.
The only thing keeping them alive is the Government's Dept. of Defence contracts as they are still known for good security features.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Definately not the Z10. They are such battery hogs that you have to charge them twice in a normal 16 hour awake day even when they are brand new.
RIM has gone the down the tubes and life for them is over as a major competitor in the market.
The only thing keeping them alive is the Government's Dept. of Defence contracts as they are still known for good security features.
I see. The Z10 does have a great keyboard. I sure was impressed with it. BTW, who is RIM?

Cheers,

Phil

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I see. The Z10 does have a great keyboard. I sure was impressed with it. BTW, who is RIM?

Cheers,

Phil
Sorry, I should have said Blackberry as that is what they are going by now. RIM was Research In Motion which created the network and Blackberry devices. They've split now. The Z10 has some cool things but I would worry about support during the next years unless you just always get the latest gadget.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just an FYI, not sure if they have the promotion on HTC's website, but when I bought mine, I still had a lot of old phones from when I worked at Sprint. I registered on HTC's website and I received a code that when I trade in my phone: They will give me a $100.00 visa card in 6-8 weeks. I traded in an OLD OLD Blackberry 7250 (think pocket Calculator) and they gave me $100.00 in mail in rebate credit.

A few observations:
1. You said you wanted a good battery life, all three of those phones could best be described as "above average" in battery life, but not spectacular
2. You stated you didn't want to big a phone, the iphone 5 is the smallest
3. Apple may seem dated, especially in features compared to Android, but they are going to release an IOS update around July timeframe that should add features

I would be really surprised if an Iphone 5S happens before July/August, but in my opinion, you can always wait for a new phone, but at some point you are going to have to take the plunge :)

Who is RIM?.......I did laugh a little when I read this, because due to their decreased market share, they do have not have the brand rep that Samsung / HTC do.
Blackberry (RIM) have been around for a long time, and were the choice for most businesses back in the late 1990s /early 2000s. They had the most secure service (BEZ Server) that companies relied on for security. For the longest time government organizations used only their device for that reason. I have used about 6 or 7 different models since 2002, but left them when I picked up my first Android Device Sprint EVO.

RIM split off the software side because they may start to offer their services on competing platforms.

A few things to keep in mind about Blackberry is that they do allow you to run Android applications on their phones if I am not mistaken. They consistently come out with solid phone OSs, but lack the innovative features "flash" of Android and IOS.
While I don't think the Z10 is a bad phone, I do believe that there are better options at this point for Android and IOS. Blackberry has come a long way in creating a great device, but still have a ways to go IMO. Though I will miss the nice keyboard/trackball...or in older cases scroll wheel. :)

It was funny when I powered on my old Blackberry 7250 and realized that it wasn't a touch screen lol.

As for Iphone vs HTC One vs Galaxy 4 - Its a tough call
www.cnet.com
www.phonedog.com
and even youtube will do some comparisons.

Samsung Galaxy has more bells and whistles with its Touch Wiz, but if you aren't going to use them, then I would get the HTC One
+ You will never have problems getting accessories for the Galaxy
+ One of the best supported phones by Android, since all carries offer the phone
+ Android to me is the most flexible OS
+ Great Screen
+ Easy to root and add custom android interfaces

- Software has a lot of gimmicky stuff (IMO), but if you are going to use hover swipe and retina follow, it might be the phone for you
- Just not a big fan of plastic, though Samsung wears it well

HTC has solid build quality and great screen, its is slightly lower in processor speed and screen size, but both are not that noticeable if at all+
Better low light camera, there is a software fix coming to address the white balancing in brighter day shots
+ You want to get a clear case because the phone looks just that good!
+ I prefer the HTC OS to Touch Wiz, but that is user preference
+ Great Screen
+ Android OS flexibility
- No replaceable battery
- No memory expansion, though I have never gone beyond 32GB for my uses

Apple Iphone:
+ Great support by Apple
+ It's nice to take your phone to an apple store if you have problems or questions. I do this all the time with my MacBook and Ipad 4
+ Training classes are free
+ Airplay works with a lot of current AVRs etc if you want to stream music
- Don't get the black unit as its a scratch magnet, if you do invest is a premium case
- Apple is Borg: They will assimilate you (bad Star Trek Reference)
- Apple accessories are expensive
- No user replaceable battery or memory expansion

I would hold off on the Galaxy Note II, its too big and there is a newer version going to be released soon from Samsung if you want a phablet.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just an FYI, not sure if they have the promotion on HTC's website, but when I bought mine, I still had a lot of old phones from when I worked at Sprint. I registered on HTC's website and I received a code that when I trade in my phone: They will give me a $100.00 visa card in 6-8 weeks. I traded in an OLD OLD Blackberry 7250 (think pocket Calculator) and they gave me $100.00 in mail in rebate credit.

A few observations:
1. You said you wanted a good battery life, all three of those phones could best be described as "above average" in battery life, but not spectacular
2. You stated you didn't want to big a phone, the iphone 5 is the smallest
3. Apple may seem dated, especially in features compared to Android, but they are going to release an IOS update around July timeframe that should add features

I would be really surprised if an Iphone 5S happens before July/August, but in my opinion, you can always wait for a new phone, but at some point you are going to have to take the plunge :)

Who is RIM?.......I did laugh a little when I read this, because due to their decreased market share, they do have not have the brand rep that Samsung / HTC do.
Blackberry (RIM) have been around for a long time, and were the choice for most businesses back in the late 1990s /early 2000s. They had the most secure service (BEZ Server) that companies relied on for security. For the longest time government organizations used only their device for that reason. I have used about 6 or 7 different models since 2002, but left them when I picked up my first Android Device Sprint EVO.

RIM split off the software side because they may start to offer their services on competing platforms.

A few things to keep in mind about Blackberry is that they do allow you to run Android applications on their phones if I am not mistaken. They consistently come out with solid phone OSs, but lack the innovative features "flash" of Android and IOS.
While I don't think the Z10 is a bad phone, I do believe that there are better options at this point for Android and IOS. Blackberry has come a long way in creating a great device, but still have a ways to go IMO. Though I will miss the nice keyboard/trackball...or in older cases scroll wheel. :)

It was funny when I powered on my old Blackberry 7250 and realized that it wasn't a touch screen lol.

As for Iphone vs HTC One vs Galaxy 4 - Its a tough call
www.cnet.com
www.phonedog.com
and even youtube will do some comparisons.

Samsung Galaxy has more bells and whistles with its Touch Wiz, but if you aren't going to use them, then I would get the HTC One
+ You will never have problems getting accessories for the Galaxy
+ One of the best supported phones by Android, since all carries offer the phone
+ Android to me is the most flexible OS
+ Great Screen

- Software has a lot of gimmicky stuff (IMO), but if you are going to use hover swipe and retina follow, it might be the phone for you
- Just not a big fan of plastic, though Samsung wears it well

HTC has solid build quality and great screen, its is slightly lower in processor speed and screen size, but both are not that noticeable if at all+
Better low light camera, there is a software fix coming to address the white balancing in brighter day shots
+ You want to get a clear case because the phone looks just that good!
+ I prefer the HTC OS to Touch Wiz, but that is user preference
+ Great Screen
+ Android OS flexibility
- No replaceable battery
- No memory expansion, though I have never gone beyond 32GB for my uses

Apple Iphone:
+ Great support by Apple
+ It's nice to take your phone to an apple store if you have problems or questions. I do this all the time with my MacBook and Ipad 4
+ Training classes are free
+ Airplay works with a lot of current AVRs etc if you want to stream music
- Don't get the black unit as its a scratch magnet, if you do invest is a premium case
- Apple is Borg: They will assimilate you (bad Star Trek Reference)
- Apple accessories are expensive
- No user replaceable battery or memory expansion

I would hold off on the Galaxy Note II, its too big and there is a newer version going to be released soon from Samsung if you want a phablet.
Wow! Thanks once again for all of your insights. They all have been a BIG help. Just today, I was able to visit a local Sprint store. They confirmed in my tri-state area that Sprint has only 3g service. However, I was also advised that they will be upgrading to 4g/LTE by late Fall 2013! One thing I noticed, is that there were not many phones on display as compared to the likes of AT&T/T-Mobile. I have yet to visit Verizon, but do plan to do so before rendering my final decision. From all of the phones I have demoed, I prefer the HTC One the most. I do prefer the size of the iPhone 5, but I can live with the HTC One. The GS IV is a very nice phone no doubt. And, the deal AT&T is offering with the Samsung Tablet 2 is very tempting. However, I also have to keep service on it at a MINIMIUM of $15 per month X 24 months = $360! Not to mention $199.99 down. So, where is the real savings? The HTC One is looking to be the right choice for me. I also seem to prefer the Android way of doing things.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I just tried to do a local search on the best signal strength/customer service cell phone coverage but to no avail. How do I find out how reliable my local networks really are? Any suggestions? I want feedback on the the big 3 albeit AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. I also am also considering Virgin Mobile/ Sprint. Some feedback on them would also be great. There may be some smaller carriers that I may consider. Please help as always I need it....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I just tried to do a local search on the best signal strength/customer service cell phone coverage but to no avail. How do I find out how reliable my local networks really are? Any suggestions? I want feedback on the the big 3 albeit AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. I also am also considering Virgin Mobile/ Sprint. Some feedback on them would also be great. There may be some smaller carriers that I may consider. Please help as always I need it....LOL!!!!!
I use ATT and never have any issues. They always go above and beyond to help me, but I always use the store for assistance.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I use ATT and never have any issues. They always go above and beyond to help me, but I always use the store for assistance.
Yeah, ATT is good no doubt. However, I just want to find out what kind of signal strength people are getting locally. Plan to compare the likes of ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Virgin Mobile, and etc. I am getting closer to my decision. Just want to check, re-check, and then check again. That way I know I have made the "right" decision for me. Where can I find some local forums? Have any ideas? BTW, which phone do you have? Just curious. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis