Slim Receiver Challenge

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
I'm in search of a good quality A/V receiver with 50+ Watt of minimum power in 5.1 mode with HD capability.
My challenge is I want something thing which is not more than 4" in height.
It will be very good to have Zone2 capability too.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for prompt reply dkane. Unfortunately both of the above are 4"+ in height. I have a inbuilt shelf that is 4", so it is important that it is not more than 4". Inside the shelf there is enough height so I'm not worry about ventilation, as only front of the shelf is that narrow.

My PS3 was a tight fit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for prompt reply dkane. Unfortunately both of the above are 4"+ in height. I have a inbuilt shelf that is 4", so it is important that it is not more than 4". Inside the shelf there is enough height so I'm not worry about ventilation, as only front of the shelf is that narrow.

My PS3 was a tight fit.
You need to rethink your plan and modify or replace your furniture. Installing equipment, especially power equipment in a tight space is begging for trouble and failure.

You won't find a receiver with those dimensions. If you could you would not want it, and certainly not in that space.

Your plan is flat out bad.

M

ManishKasera

Junior Audioholic
Thanks TLS.

Unfortunately that is what I got to play with.

As mentioned entrance to shelf is limited to 4" where as there is more than enough room to fit any height so I'm really not concern about space.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks TLS.

Unfortunately that is what I got to play with.

As mentioned entrance to shelf is limited to 4" where as there is more than enough room to fit any height so I'm really not concern about space.
Well then you have an insoluble problem without modification. In a situation like this, this is what the skills of the cabinet maker/carpenter are for.

Your options: -

Do without a receiver and just watch TV.

Find another location and furniture.

Modify your furniture yourself.

Hire an artisan to modify your furniture.

You have no other options. End of thread.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Could you take the feet off the Marantz? You're only shy 3/16ths. can you put the receiver in the slot from the back?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Newcastle R903

I don't have any firsthand experience with it but the Newcastle R903 is listed as 2 7/8" tall so it should fit. As people have said you're asking for trouble if you don't provide ventilation.

http://www.sherwoodamerica.com/site/newcastle/digital/R903.php?mtype=2

It's only 6.1. It doesn't do HD but does have 6.1 analog input.

The power specs given are kinda shaky -
Surround mode, only channel driven
Front power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.3 % | 100 W+100 W
Center power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.3 % | 100 W
Surround power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.3 % | 100 W+100 W
Surround back power output, 6 Ω, 1 kHz, THD 0.3 % | 100 W

HTH

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe just get a HTIAB system, most of their head units are very slim. Sony made a HTIAB system were the electronics were built into the subwoofer so mounting a unit in the shelf would be unnecessary.

You may also consider a sound bar and subwoofer solution.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Have a look at the Sherwood R-904N

http://www.sherwoodamerica.com/site/sherwood/receiver/R904.php?mtype=1

Key Feature
- HD Audio Decoding for Blu-Ray
- DTS-HD(Master Audio / High Resolution Audio)
- Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus
- Legacy Audio Decoding
- DTS-ES(Discrete / Matrix)
- DTS-96/26, DTS Neo:6 (Cinema/Music)
- Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital-EX, Dolby Digital Prologic Ilx
- Dual Advanced 32-bit processing DSP chip
- Dolby Volume
- Multi channel PCM Decoding
- 7 DSP Mode (Theater, Hall, Stadium, Room, Panorama, Classic, Multi CH Stereo)
- One Touch Automatic Speaker Setup
- Room Acoustic Calibration with EQ
- 192kHz / 24Bit D/A converter (All channels)
- 3 In /1 Out HDMI Repeater (Ver 1.3)
- 2 In / 1 Out Component Video
- 2 In / 2 Out Composite Video
- Digital Audio Input (1 Optical / 2 Coaxial)
- 7 Analog Audio Inputs
- 2 Zone multi room/ Multi source for audio
- iPod Connectivity with DS-10

And it streams from the net too!

So lets see...

Height is 2-7/8"... CHECK
HD... CHECK
ZONE 2... CHECK

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I'm afraid that Sherwood might not meet the "good quality" part of the request. Also, the above suggestion to remove the feet of the Marantz would greatly reduce ventilation of that unit, and void the warranty.

But since the thread starter doesn't want to adjust his shelving, I agree that the Sherwood, or a Home Theater in a Box kit with their small receivers would be the best choice.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm afraid that Sherwood might not meet the "good quality" part of the request. Also, the above suggestion to remove the feet of the Marantz would greatly reduce ventilation of that unit, and void the warranty.

But since the thread starter doesn't want to adjust his shelving, I agree that the Sherwood, or a Home Theater in a Box kit with their small receivers would be the best choice.
FYI, the Marantz is made in the same factor as the Sherwood.;)

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
In reviewing the thread starter's needs, it appears he will be running Paradigm Studio line speakers with the receiver he's looking for. I've heard the impedance of this line dips pretty low, can anyone confirm? If this is true I retract my suggestion for the Sherwood.

Matt34

Matt34

Oh yes you will have to worry about heat. Those JVCs run very hot, and the fan is on the back. It is also 3 - 5/8" tall.
Nevermind then, must have been thinking of something totally different.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What would I do besides what TLS Guy suggested?

Buy and install five of these and use them in bridge mode or actively bi-amp if you're willing or just buy 3 of em and use 2 speakers as slaves: https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=2961

Then you'd just need a processor instead of a receiver. Here's one that's short enough for you:
http://www.emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

That'd cost you about 2000-2500 dollars or so. It ain't cheap but your request ain't simple.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nevermind then, must have been thinking of something totally different.
Well they are Class D, so you would think they would be quite cool running. Somehow they found a way to waste the energy because a lot of heat is dissipated.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Another idea, but not a cheap one:

Replace all the Paradigms with active (self-powered) speakers. Add a slim pre/pro. The Emotiva UMC-1 is only 3 7/8" tall. And that's without removing the feet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis