Simaudio Moon CP-8 AV Processor: A Denon Receiver in Sim Clothing?

A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
An engineer at a esoteric cable company is about as common as Sarah Palin attending a MENSA meeting :)
I'm curious, does Kurt have is engineer degree? I am not judging. Just wondering.

I do know that WW has affiliations with the one of the FL engineering departments.

Last edited:
K

KurtBJC

Audioholic
I don't have an engineering degree, no. But this wire/cable stuff is actually strange -- very few EEs really seem to know much about transmission line theory. I do work with the engineers on this stuff and while the higher math of it tends to escape me we are able to discuss things on pretty much a peer-to-peer level. I am told this is not typical and that most people in my position have little to no technical grasp. Ten years of picking the brain of every cable engineer you can find will do that for you. In fact, probably the most well-known cable guru in America, Steve Lampen, who works for Belden and has written a couple of books on the subject, isn't an EE either...

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
AV_Nut, arent you SteveH over at AVS, the guy who with someone else introduced the Gemstone amp? If so, are you still carrying it? I seem to recall that you indeed had an ABX comparator.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
AV_Nut, arent you SteveH over at AVS, the guy who with someone else introduced the Gemstone amp? If so, are you still carrying it? I seem to recall that you indeed had an ABX comparator.
Ah, that all rings a bell now that you mention it:) Very interesting.

Last edited:
R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Per Bob Lee at QSC
Hi Randy,

That was designed by Thanh Nguyen, in the Technical Services Group

Bob Lee
Applications Engineer

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have an engineering degree, no. But this wire/cable stuff is actually strange -- very few EEs really seem to know much about transmission line theory. I do work with the engineers on this stuff and while the higher math of it tends to escape me we are able to discuss things on pretty much a peer-to-peer level. I am told this is not typical and that most people in my position have little to no technical grasp. Ten years of picking the brain of every cable engineer you can find will do that for you. In fact, probably the most well-known cable guru in America, Steve Lampen, who works for Belden and has written a couple of books on the subject, isn't an EE either...
They should in theory, as it is in the syllabus, just look the topic up in university text books. EEs in the power stream also have to study transmission lines. Problem is, if you don't practice in the related field after graduation, you will eventually lose certain things you learnt in university so in essence you are likely right about very few really seem to know much....

Last edited:
K

KurtBJC

Audioholic
Agreed, Peng. My younger brother is an EE, and he remembers studying transmission line theory, but right now you couldn't get a lot of info about it out of him. He works in audio and so has very little need for it -- just needs to know stuff like "use 110 ohm cable for AES/EBU," and the like. Now, if he were working for a telecommunications firm, he'd never have forgotten all that he learned as an undergrad, and would have learned a good deal more to boot.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
very few EEs really seem to know much about transmission line theory.
We have a name for those type: "Sales Engineer" :)

A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
We have a name for those type: "Sales Engineer" :)
By definition, 1/2 of the engineers are above average while the other 1/2 are below. I knew where I fell in the mix.:eek: So I agree with your statement. Generally speaking, the more technical you are, the worse your communication skills are (think nerdy). To pay you a complement Gene, you possess them both and that is fairly rare. My boss who hired me in the early 90's when I sold semiconductors literally said he had a criteria: He wanted letter grade B engineers versus versus A to sell. Jokingly, I asked if they accept C+ letter grade engineers. We chuckled and I was hired. I had much more fun and made a good deal more money. So yes, if you are alluding that you are much more technical than me, we agree.

That said, our ears work the same. Personally, I am not in a paradigm and I am not going to assume anything that hundreds of other technical people believe they hear with all their heart. That doesn't mean they are not all incorrect, it just means I want to dig deeper than automatically believing you. I will say this. I have NOT heard any differences on USB cables but I was always using better DAC's. So I will ask some people when I have a chance that are more well versused on the topic than anybody posting on this thread. Additionally, I will say that my HDMI technique could have been flawed (we didn't take a statistically significant sample size; maybe 8 times back and forth). I am logical. Knowing what you and Kurt said resonates with me to dig deeper. But I really don't have a problem admitting when and if I made a mistake. :) So I will re-work the effort when I have some time.

Last edited:
A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
Hi Chu,
I remember you too. Good to see that you are alive and well. :)

As you remember, ten years ago, I was the guy who knew it was going to be a piece of cake to pass with an ABX box and ramped it up the Richard Clark's $10,000 challenge. I was offended that someone would make a strong statement that someone could not pass in the blind between a tube amp and a $10,000 Krell. Those who have heard them both EASILY know that the tube amp is warm and soft on the bottom end while the Krell has a lot of control and sounds dramatically different. Well Richard and Tom certainly knew something that I didn't!

More cliff notes. That was when I bought my ABX box, tested, my jaw dropped when I failed the above test. In complete shock, I had to figure out if I was a fraud or completely inept so I was on my quest to understand why. If you haven't read my posts in this thread do so. It was why I knew no reviewer like Gene who had experience testing in the blind would never take the challenge. If I knew before hand 10 years ago, I would of had a much more balanced approach. So while there are differences (and as God as my witness I pass), there are other days and events that make me unable to pass at all using the same gear and the same comparison technique. I'm specifically talking about my ABX box here....

If you remember, I also bought an EQ's and adjusted the FR response a little in between the amp and the preamp (around 10KHZ) on the same brand of amps (hearing the shift real time as I adjusted the EQ slider) and I still failed. That's a whole topic in itself. So to be clear, when I intentionally put in a couple of db of non-linearity in one of the two comparisons, I still failed when ABX testing even though I could hear the shift real time. Now I knew it was my approach of testing in the blind.

As I said, anyone who has tested in the blind before, positively understands the difficulty. My thoughts on the topic is whatever you hear outside of the blind is the real magnitude of the differences (assuming you can still pass in the blind). But when you listen for the nuances, and focus, the differences collapse right in front of your eyes. As I stated, some days it will be impossible for anybody to pass in the blind (tube amp and Krell). I've correlated to when I was under stress. As Gene has also experienced, that can happen simply by focusing. I will say Tom N was open minded with my conversation as to what I said in this thread. He said "he doubted it" but was not tossing it completely out. Including myself, nearly everyone is a newbie trying to understand what is really going on.

I certainly don't have all of the answers. But I really have tried to put some time and effort into the topic. That said, to me at least, it should go without saying that you cannot wash away thousands of people who hear differences in various amps, preamps, etc. Because if the overwhelming majority of the people involved in this hobby (most are highly technical) all agree that a tube amp is "soft" and "warm" (anyone disagree here?) and you cannot pass in the blind, something bigger is going on. To put that challenge to work, I would be happy to demonstrate it to anyone who assumes they can easily pass. Quickly, they too will understand what I am talking about. But as Richard has learned, he can offer $10K http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/ and no one passed.

My broader point when trying to explain this on AVS was that those who assumedI was wrong never bothered to do any work themselves. If your memory serves you well, I offered to pay for 3 or 4 different rabid disbelievers to fly out to hear and see what I was talking about. No one wanted on the forum wanted to (but Tom N would). I felt the people with the strongest opinion had the least about of experience. They would rather argue about the exact same topic for 10 years p_issing their life away (pardon my French) on forums arguing. They didn't feel they were competent to test my super powers. Actually, I was going to simply show them some seemingly obvious differences and then let them test in the blind. But they didn't need or care to learn. Instead, they wanted to fill-up a few thousand posts on a topic so they never tried themselves. I will say Chu, you were much more open minded. I suspect you read something in my words knowing I was actually out to understand what was what.

Finally, I got the feeling that if someone made a statement that this or that sounded better in any thread, PM's were flying to other reinforcements to pile on. I think they were doing it in good spirits: trying to save the world from snake oil but they also enjoyed the entertainment.

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Okay then, I like specs that are verified by lab measurements so I am very interested in trading (just a stright fair trade so it would cost them nothing) my only 6 months old 8801 for either Gene or ADTG's AVP. Do you think you can help me convince one of them to do that? It would be much appreciated, and you know it would be a good deal for them right?:D
Your 8801 is better IMO!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My boss who hired me in the early 90's when I sold semiconductors literally said he had a criteria: He wanted letter grade B engineers versus versus A to sell. Jokingly, I asked if they accept C+ letter grade engineers. We chuckled and I was hired.
Wow, we are really going to get along well now. My first job was also sales engineer selling semiconductor products mainly transistors. The difference is when I left that job and moved on to power plant intrumentation the president of that semiconductor company predicted that I would eventually be back to sales but I never did and I do like the technical side or things but may consider going back to the sales side after retirement.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's probably a "golden-ear" amp.

I don't consider "audiophile" derogatory. :D
Good to know, as I am even considering buying one of those HDMI cable from AV nut knowing that 99.999 to 1 it won't sound different, now that's after for some reasons replacing my lovely 4308 with the 8801 6 months ago, and then somehow got tempted and acquired an A21 only to find out it sounds the same as my vintage Marantz except more defined bass, though no ABX done yet. When will such silly acts stop I have no idea? I guess for perhaps similar reasons, you ended up with a long line up of high end speaker aside from shelves of electronics. There aren't really much differences between audiohoics, audiophile and audio nuts, mostly technicalities, like specs.., IMO.:D

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Interesting
http://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/2013/11/20/obituaries-112013/

Daniel J. Shanefield

Daniel J. Shanefield, 83, of Honolulu, Hawaii, formerly of Princeton, died peacefully November 13 in Honolulu. He had lived in Princeton for 40 years with his late wife, Libby, before moving to Hawaii in 2006.

Born in Orange, N.J., he attended Yale University for three years until drafted into the U.S. Army, serving in Korea from 1953 to 1954. He obtained a B.S. (1956) and a Ph.D. (1962) in physical chemistry from Rutgers University.

Dr. Shanefield worked at ITT Laboratories in Nutley, N.J. until 1967 and then at Western Electric (later Bell Laboratories) in Hopewell. From 1986 until his retirement in 2001 he was a distinguished professor of ceramic engineering at Rutgers. Dr. Shanefield also taught ceramic engineering in the Netherlands every summer for 15 years at the Center for Professional Advancement. He was associate editor of the Journal of the American Ceramic Society from 1989 to 1999.

While at the Hopewell laboratory, Dr. Shanefield’s many inventions with coworkers included a ceramic insulator for microcircuits later sold worldwide by Western Electric and installed in almost every telephone line in the United States. He developed 38 patents and wrote textbooks on ceramic engineering and industrial electronics.

His hobby was writing about audio for popular magazines. Dr. Shanefield was notable for first describing the “equalized double-blind comparison” of audio components in 1974, the cover story of Stereo Review in May 1976. This showed that some perceived differences in sound were being imagined by the listeners, especially when expensive equipment was involved. The test is now used worldwide for determining whether measurable improvements in music reproduction equipment are actually audible.

Dr. Shanefield was the recipient of four AT&T Outstanding Achievement Awards. He received the Best Paper Award of the American Ceramic Society, Engineering Division, in 1993 and the Man of the Year Award of the Ceramic Association of New Jersey in 1996. He was a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemists and of the American Ceramic Society, and a Life Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

Son of the late Benjamin and Hannah L. Shanefield; husband of the late Elizabeth (Libby) Davis Shanefield; he is survived by his daughter, Alison Bixby Buckley of Chicago, his son, Douglas Shanefield of Honolulu, and two grandchildren.

A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
Good to know, as I am even considering buying one of those HDMI cable from AV nut knowing that 99.999 to 1 it won't sound different, now that's after for some reasons replacing my lovely 4308 with the 8801 6 months ago, and then somehow got tempted and acquired an A21 only to find out it sounds the same as my vintage Marantz except more defined bass, though no ABX done yet. When will such silly acts stop I have no idea? I guess for perhaps similar reasons, you ended up with a long line up of high end speaker aside from shelves of electronics. There aren't really much differences between audiohoics, audiophile and audio nuts, mostly technicalities, like specs.., IMO.:D
I'll pay the shipping both ways if you don't like it. I'll send you off a return label just in case. Send me a check if you hear what we heard.

More bottom end on the A21? Our ears agree. It is also more effortless and lower volumes. Very subtle but very real.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I need Gene or at least ADTG to tell me that too, not that I don't believe you.:D:D
The 8801 is superior to my AVP-A1HDCI. :D

But I would still keep my inferior AVP-A1HDCI. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We may believe in different things sometimes, but we are all pretty crazy just the same. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis