Should I upgrade my Denon Avr 650h?

K

koolbuoy

Audiophyte
Hi all. New to the group and seeking recommendations whether I should upgrade my existing Denon Avr 650h.
I got the reveiver couple of years back and used it with Klipsch Quintet speakers and a Klipsch Sw 450 sub for my 5.1 system.
I changed my apartment a year back to a bigger one. My living room is approx 17*20. I recently upgraded my front and rear speakers to the R41M, got a R52C for the center channel, and the Klipsch RP 1000sw for the subwoofer which is amazing.
My existing receiver works fine and handles it but I'm not sure if I'm missing the full potential of my speakers. I like a warmer signature sound and confused between Sony An1000, Denon Avr x2800h, and the Marrantz cinema 60. If I buy a new one, I prefer getting a 7.1 for future considerations.
Experts here, do you think my existing receiver is sufficient to handle my room and speakers or should I upgrade to a newer one with more power? Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does full potential mean? Louder? Warmer can be manipulated with eq/dsp perhaps (turn down the response at the upper end or increase the lower end a bit can be considered "warmer"), not particularly the basic brand/model of avr (does your model allow use of the MultEQ Editor App?). Your speakers may be another avenue to warmer and many don't choose Klipsch for that altho some of their latest models address that a bit. The Klipsch are relatively sensitive so amp power you have is likely sufficient (altho the spec they use is overstated as they use an in-room equivalent which is 4-5dB higher than typical specs).

Generally you seek changes in sound quality via the speakers as well as their interface in your room. If you are getting good sound now you're likely fine on the avr, though.

Your avr is one of Denon's lower end models so in a way you have nowhere to go but up :) As you go up the chain you gain more features, better amps, connectivity options generally and these days the majority will be at least 7.1....not particularly any change in sound that the eq/dsp doesn't afford. Personally in an avr I like a full set of pre-outs and a good eq/dsp package (for Denon the models that have Audyssey XT32 and can use the MultEQ Editor App or the MultEQ-X apps yield the most flexibility including a Dirac option on some). zkelectronics.com has a good avr comparison tool for comparing the minutiae.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis