Second Purchase Iteration (Modest Upgrade)

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
Hi Audioholics,

I am gearing up to perform a refresh of my main family room's HT gear.

Current Gear:

75" Sony 4K TV
Denon 3400H
Martin Logan MLT-2 5.0
Klipsch 12w

Room conditions:

The family room is 15x18x9 with the TV on the 18ft wall and the viewing sweet spot on the opposing 18ft wall. (Yes, not ideal, but thats the world I live in.) Room opens up to a large 20x15ft kitchen on the 15ft side of the family room.

Surfaces: floor is tile, but a large area rug addresses 70" of the would be exposed flooring. 2 double pane windows sit behind the listener, with window treatments.

TV is wall mounted in a ~30" recessed alcove on the wall, extended to be flush with the overall wall.

L/R are mounted just inside the alcove, flush with the TV's screen surface toed in with angled slightly towards listening position. Center is directly below the TV, approximately 10" higher than the L/R, sitting atop an entertainment center and is at listener's ear level. Viewing distance is 13ft.

Rears are mounted from the ceiling dropped down 6". This will change (more ideal) to be mounted 2' above the listener's ear with this next purchase.

Subwoofer is mounted in a rear corner, left of the listening position.

Restrictions:

I am not able to use any more floor space. No towers, no bookshelves on stands. Slightly larger subwoofer footprint is acceptable. Thus, only wall mounted bookshelves or book shelves on the entertainment center may be allowed.

Questions:

I want to upgrade to get a more immersive sound, especially from the front stage. I also want the L/R to be more competent in Home Audio. My wife enjoys music and I would like her to have more appreciation for capabilities of the system.

Viewing (HT/Audio/streaming) is 60/10/30 with a future tilt to 60/20/20.

Current considerations:

Upgrade to SVS Ultra system (this sounds like overkill for the room size)
Upgrade to RSL CG3 system with 12SW.

Open to other options, so long as the finish is black and not wood grain (must be piano or matte finish)

Concerns:

What will get me a value-based upgrade without being totally overkill? Are the Ultras overkill, considering the current sale?

Thanks!

Matt34

Matt34

What are the maximum HxWxD for the L/R speakers on the entertainment center? What is the HxWxD restrictions for the center?

What would be your budget for a 3.1 system? Using a couple of your existing speakers for surrounds.

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
What are the maximum HxWxD for the L/R speakers on the entertainment center? What is the HxWxD restrictions for the center?

What would be your budget for a 3.1 system? Using a couple of your existing speakers for surrounds.
I can fit a 9" wide bookshelf speaker on either side of the TV, sitting on the entertainment center. Depth is no issue. Height is up for discussion. Is a 15x8 Ultra bookshelf too big? I would think that is the absolute max I would probably be willing to go without things looking weird and the WAF taking a hit.

Total budget is not to exceed $2500.

Matt34

Matt34

I can fit a 9" wide bookshelf speaker on either side of the TV, sitting on the entertainment center. Depth is no issue. Height is up for discussion. Is a 15x8 Ultra bookshelf too big? I would think that is the absolute max I would probably be willing to go without things looking weird and the WAF taking a hit.

Total budget is not to exceed $2500.
I'm personally not a fan of the current SVS Ultra sound so I can't recommend them.

Here is the easy button answer for me at $2500.

Another option is to look at the current Revel lineups as they are being discounted like the SVS. (Specifically the M015/ M106 bookshelves)
Screenshot_20240131_181155_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240131_181150_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240131_181200_Chrome.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Ultras are being replaced. That is why they are on closeout :) Maybe wait to see their replacement which was shown at CES?

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
The Ultras are being replaced. That is why they are on closeout :) Maybe wait to see their replacement which was shown at CES?
The Ultra Evolution series is expected to be quite a bit more expensive. Maybe 3-4x? Out of my ballpark.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Ultra Evolution series is expected to be quite a bit more expensive. Maybe 3-4x? Out of my ballpark.
Would think they would keep the Ultra line and add the more expensive one like what Ascend did, but it sounds like they are just eliminating the line. I will also give a vote for the Sierras.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd also suggest looking into Ascend, but not particularly Rythmik for sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I personally would recommend a Rythmik subwoofer and it wouldn’t take much the best the Klipsch sub.
Also, any pics of this room? Seems like much of the benefit of new speakers might be lost on this particular installation.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I personally would recommend a Rythmik subwoofer and it wouldn’t take much the best the Klipsch sub.
Also, any pics of this room? Seems like much of the benefit of new speakers might be lost on this particular installation.
I would go for the Hsu VTF-3 mk5 over the Rythmik FVX12. It doesn't cost much more and has about the same footprint, but it will have a major performance advantage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure exactly which Klipsch 12 he has, but sure a Rythmik 12 would best it :) As would several others....

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
I think I am pretty set on L/R with Sierra-1 V2s. It looks like it might be best to go with it for a center as well? I am limited to an 8" tall center.

My sub is a Klipsch R-120SW, so any of the above mentioned options would be a significant upgrade.

Is the RSL speedwoofer or Monolith a serious step down from either the Rythmik or Hsu drivers? I am OK going up to the ~$1k range if we are seeing significant value in the next tier.

Thank you all. This has been very helpful.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think I am pretty set on L/R with Sierra-1 V2s. It looks like it might be best to go with it for a center as well? I am limited to an 8" tall center.

My sub is a Klipsch R-120SW, so any of the above mentioned options would be a significant upgrade.

Is the RSL speedwoofer or Monolith a serious step down from either the Rythmik or Hsu drivers? I am OK going up to the ~$1k range if we are seeing significant value in the next tier.

Thank you all. This has been very helpful.
The RSL, Monolith, and Hsu all have their strengths. I don't think the Monolith or RSL would be a step down from the Rythmik, but they probably would not match the Hsu sub in overall performance.

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
Update.

I went and listened to the Sierra LXs (LCR) and really enjoyed the experience. These things had a beautiful, very wide sound stage in music listening.

While I was definitely sold, my wife shot me down on finishes. It must be a matte black finish.

I am working with Dave and Dina on how to solve for this (LXs dont come in a matte black finish).

In the mean time, I have one question to ask the forum...

I have active seating that spans 5+ft of the LP and have concerns about using an horizontal MTM (vertical is not an option) for a center due to typically lacklaster performance in horizontal dispersion.

If you had to find a center that wasnt MTM and had a similar sound to a Sierra, what would it be?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Matte black is great for the dim lighting when watching movies. The speakers disappear. Maybe that is why she wants it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis