Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend.... what else?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats! I highly approve of your choices of speakers and finishes :D.

Congrats also to @tyhjaarpa and @CB22!
Thanks...
Might not be able to get the finish work I want. Not bummed at all. Need to check in on pricing to go all the way into Salk's standard finishes, vs what is included in the Phil 3 pricing. I'll share when its all said and done.

So excited!

Cheers to all!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks...
Might not be able to get the finish work I want. Not bummed at all. Need to check in on pricing to go all the way into Salk's standard finishes, vs what is included in the Phil 3 pricing. I'll share when its all said and done.
I don't know what Jim Salk does for Phil 3 cabinet finishes, but.there's I think there's reason for optimism. That blue finish Jim did on those Veracity STs, looks like the veneer is standard curly maple. If the veneer isn't maple, I think Jim can easily reproduce the same look over a maple veneer. A blue dye is applied in between one of the many sealer or top coats. So I don't think it involves a lot of extra finish work. But don't rely on what I say, ask Dennis or Jim Salk.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ooh that’s the color I like too. Very nice in the blue. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I did get to hear them with a Saint-Saens sample my host played, as well as a few other tracks that push lower than some speakers can handle. The Phil 3s made it effortlessly beautiful. I'm hoping I can easily incorporate them without killing the lows of the Phil 3s. I'll have months to experiment with the BMRs too!
My AVR is a Marantz SR6012. Assuming I get it back from this second round of warranty service.
I like the way you did that!
Normally you would be pining away for the arrival of your new speakers, but with the new BMR and AA Plus, and the Ultra X13's, you are going to be busy tuning and enjoying them! When you get the notice that the Phils are shipping, it will be a pleasant "surprise"!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know what Jim Salk does for Phil 3 cabinet finishes, but.there's I think there's reason for optimism. That blue finish Jim did on those Veracity STs, looks like the veneer is standard curly maple. If the veneer isn't maple, I think Jim can easily reproduce the same look over a maple veneer. A blue dye is applied in between one of the many sealer or top coats. So I don't think it involves a lot of extra finish work. But don't rely on what I say, ask Dennis or Jim Salk.
Yes, "Midnight blue burst on curly maple." If it doesn't cost too much more, I might have to do it anyway! ;) We'll see! *fingers crossed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like the way you did that!
Normally you would be pining away for the arrival of your new speakers, but with the new BMR and AA Plus, and the Ultra X13's, you are going to be busy tuning and enjoying them! When you get the notice that the Phils are shipping, it will be a pleasant "surprise"!
The Phil 3's are the splurge. No doubt about it. If not for the Phil 3's I would just be doing 7.0 through Dennis instead of the potential for 7.0.4 which is the plan now.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yes, "Midnight blue burst on curly maple." If it doesn't cost too much more, I might have to do it anyway! ;) We'll see! *fingers crossed
Curly maple is a standard veneer, and Jim doesn't charge for dyes. Maple also does reasonably well with the simpler one-stage finish that saves $300 and speeds up the build time. However, "burst" is a problem. All Phil 3 cabinets now come with beveled front edges, whether on the "old" style cabinets (perfectly vertical) or the "new" style (slightly canted back front and rear). That allows the front baffle to be veneered with separate pieces for the flat front and smaller pieces for the bevel. It wouldn't make any sense to do a burst on that cabinet because the whole reason for the burst is to allow veneer on the flat portion fading to a burst on edges that are rounded over. Jim's veneer press can't handle curves, and the burst will cover what would otherwise be raw mdf on the rounded over portion. I think a burst would look weird on a bevel, and it's totally unnecessary. Jim goes to considerable pains to source the finest quality veneer possible, and it's always seemed a waste to me to cover up that beautiful grain with a burst unless there is no alternative other than a satin black baffle. Maybe you have to be a guitar player to appreciate burst.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Curly maple is a standard veneer, and Jim doesn't charge for dyes. Maple also does reasonably well with the simpler one-stage finish that saves $300 and speeds up the build time. However, "burst" is a problem. All Phil 3 cabinets now come with beveled front edges, whether on the "old" style cabinets (perfectly vertical) or the "new" style (slightly canted back front and rear). That allows the front baffle to be veneered with separate pieces for the flat front and smaller pieces for the bevel. It wouldn't make any sense to do a burst on that cabinet because the whole reason for the burst is to allow veneer on the flat portion fading to a burst on edges that are rounded over. Jim's veneer press can't handle curves, and the burst will cover what would otherwise be raw mdf on the rounded over portion. I think a burst would look weird on a bevel, and it's totally unnecessary. Jim goes to considerable pains to source the finest quality veneer possible, and it's always seemed a waste to me to cover up that beautiful grain with a burst unless there is no alternative other than a satin black baffle. Maybe you have to be a guitar player to appreciate burst.
Understood, Thank you! (But that finish IS beautiful... ;) )

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you have to be a guitar player to appreciate burst.
Not a guitar player... but a Rock'n'Roller to be certain! My first concerts were Billy Joel and Huey Lewis, and when I left music school, it was with the rock band when I moved to San Francisco.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Got the new BMR center in. First thing I noticed was the difference in treble. Voices seem smoother and easier on the ear. Re-ran the room correction and it also agreed with what I was hearing from the measurements. The Klipsch, speakers had two spikes in the high frequency spectrum, the BMR did not. All and all, another great speakers from Dennis. It's gonna be hard to "work from home" today.

Attachments

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your system looks like it's very nice, especially those 3 front speakers. Congrats!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Your system looks like it's very nice,
Two and a half years in the making. Thanks!

Lady-Friend still jealous of the time you're spending with your system? :p
It's defiantly in the back of her mind. Sometimes I think I like my sound system more because I can always hit the mute button. :D:D:D Good thing she has no idea about this forum lol.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sometimes I think I like my sound system more because I can always hit the mute button. :D:D:D Good thing she has no idea about this forum lol.
Consider these for your next purchase.
For your use:
1543353258463.png

And, for her:
1543353329167.png

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Two and a half years in the making. Thanks!

It's defiantly in the back of her mind. Sometimes I think I like my sound system more because I can always hit the mute button. :D:D:D Good thing she has no idea about this forum lol.
Where do you live? I could buy some nice gifts with blackmail money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis