Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend.... what else?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I had forgotten which Song3 model you ordered. You went for the big enchiladas :). Nice.

A few weeks ago I heard the Song3BeATs and the Song3-A at the Capital Audio Fest. There are very good. The BeATs were a bit warmer sounding than the 3-A, but both were good. If I had to choose, I think I'd pick the 3-As. Once you get yours, we expect a full report… in a few weeks.

Maybe you'll have a shipping date soon.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@everettT
Nice! Is that grayburst finish done over maple? It looks to me like the curly maple veneer Salk uses. I'm trying, but can't imagine how good they'll look in daylight. Be sure to wash your hands before you fondle them :eek:.

I see you got beryllium dome tweeters. Those are big hoss speakers! Big reference level 3-ways!! It's gonna be fun to listen to them!

Shipping before or after Thanksgiving? I'd guess not till after Thanksgiving. At least you'll benefit from the increased FedEx activity that comes every December.

Don't you hate the cheap comments we can make about someone else's shipping wait :rolleyes:? Two years ago, I was on the receiving end of those cheap comments from the greater AH peanut gallery. So, despite the feeling that I've earned the right to make a truly tasteless cheap comment, I'll smile, stay silent, and even try to defend you from it. (All the while thinking to myself – at last – I get revenge on someone.)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Where are you going to listen to them? I need to know about that stereo store.
Not a store. I am being invited into a private home by a Philharmonic Audio customer. Very Grateful!!! Leaving now, in fact!!!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
@everettT
Nice! Is that grayburst finish done over maple? It looks to me like the curly maple veneer Salk uses. I'm trying, but can't imagine how good they'll look in daylight. Be sure to wash your hands before you fondle them :eek:.

I see you got beryllium dome tweeters. Those are big hoss speakers! Big reference level 3-ways!! It's gonna be fun to listen to them!

Shipping before or after Thanksgiving? I'd guess not till after Thanksgiving. At least you'll benefit from the increased FedEx activity that comes every December.

Don't you hate the cheap comments we can make about someone else's shipping wait :rolleyes:? Two years ago, I was on the receiving end of those cheap comments from the greater AH peanut gallery. So, despite the feeling that I've earned the right to make a truly tasteless cheap comment, I'll smile, stay silent, and even try to defend you from it. (All the while thinking to myself – at last – I get revenge on someone.)
Yup they are over curly maple. I dont expect them to ship till Monday unless he rushes today b4 the holiday. The SB Acoustics 9.5" driver made it a no brainer for the choice. Moving up to the Soundscapes would have cost me another 6k to get the extension I wanted. I get what you were saying about the AT midrange being warm as some other of his customers had commented the same prior to the release. Jim assured me the midrange and tweeter could handle enough power to fill the room in the Boca house, so I'm happy.

I've emailed and discussed with Jeff at JTR Speakers about doing the HT so I can have the best of both worlds. @rmk demoed his about 6 years ago, and they were incredibly dynamic. I'd love for @Dennis Murphy to hear them comment and even work with him, but I know his plate is full..

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yup they are over curly maple. I dont expect them to ship till Monday unless he rushes today b4 the holiday. The SB Acoustics 9.5" driver made it a no brainer for the choice. Moving up to the Soundscapes would have cost me another 6k to get the extension I wanted. I get what you were saying about the AT midrange being warm as some other of his customers had commented the same prior to the release. Jim assured me the midrange and tweeter could handle enough power to fill the room in the Boca house, so I'm happy.

I've emailed and discussed with Jeff at JTR Speakers about doing the HT so I can have the best of both worlds. @rmk demoed his about 6 years ago, and the were incredibly dynamic. I'd love for @Dennis Murphy to hear them comment and even work with him, but I know his plate is full..
Not just there subs those JTR speakers look phenomenal. Good luck I hope you get that goal done a JTR theater room would be a out of this world. Congratulations on those stunning looking speakers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hope Dennis reads his emails first. :p

@Danzilla31 and @CB22: you guys asked directly...

Gonna join the Philharmonic family. At this point, without pause, I can say this is the best speaker I've heard, in the Phil3. And the gentleman that hosted me in his home today even went so far as to say that even with his Phil3s, he sometimes misses his BMRs.

I'm gonna start out with a 7.0 system from Dennis: BMRs for the Front 3, Mini-Phils at Surround, and AA+s at Rear. When my Phil-3s are ready, I'll bring in an extra pair of AA+... and everything will slide around and up into a 7.x.4 rig with the AA+s working Atmos.

That I'm going to have Salk's cabinet work is an even greater gift! Can't wait to see them in Midnight Blue Curly Maple with Burst! Not trying to bite your steez, @everettT, but this image of the Veracity ST has had me drooling for weeks! But as I said before... when I first saw the Salk site, your choice of Grey Burst was what stuck out to me: Super Sexy!

And this was one of the last songs I listened to. I didn't think it could be any sexier than it already was, but the Phil-3s were so easy, effortless, and clean... I'd swear she was singing to me!
Cheers to you all! Thank you so much for all your help. I look forward to more of this!!! :cool:

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall

Gonna join the Philharmonic family. At this point, without pause, I can say this is the best speaker I've heard, in the Phil3. And the gentleman that hosted me in his home today even went so far as to say that even with his Phil3s, he sometimes misses his BMRs.

I'm gonna start out with a 7.0 system from Dennis: BMRs for the Front 3, Mini-Phils at Surround, and AA+s at Rear. When my Phil-3s are ready, I'll bring in an extra pair of AA+... and everything will slide around and up into a 7.x.4 rig with the AA+s working Atmos.

That I'm going to have Salk's cabinet work is an even greater gift! Can't wait to see them in Midnight Blue Curly Maple with Burst! Not trying to bite your steez, @everettT, but this image of the Veracity ST has had me drooling for weeks! But as I said before... when I first saw the Salk site, your choice of Grey Burst was what stuck out to me: Super Sexy!

And this was one of the last songs I listened to. I didn't think it could be any sexier than it already was, but the Phil-3s were so easy, effortless, and clean... I'd swear she was singing to me!
Cheers to you all! Thank you so much for all your help. I look forward to more of this!!! :cool:
I have had the BMR's for little over week now and I can say that those speakers are beasts! Amazing speakers for really cheap price when you consider the performance. Wish I had a change to get the Phil3 but don't have space for them nor they would be accepted by WAF. Would like to hear the Phil3 some day but I doubt that will happen as nearest pair is so far away.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Gonna join the Philharmonic family.
Congratulations! The custom finish will be awesome and well worth the wait! Dennis shipped out my BMR center channel today so now I have to sit tight for a little while.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I know you have a pair of Outlaw Ultra X13's that will be setup by the time you get the Phil3's, but somewhere along the way, check out the Phil3's full range. I think they have the most musical bass I have ever heard!
(Some people say it is BS to distinguish music bass vs HT bass, but to my ear, HT bass can get away with being a little more sloppy without offending and needs to reach into lower frequencies! So that is why I make the distinction - the Phil3's do not go as low as your subs, but for most music, they are truly full range).
I forget, what do you have for AVR/amp?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
(Some people say it is BS to distinguish music bass vs HT bass, but to my ear, HT bass can get away with being a little more sloppy without offending and needs to reach into lower frequencies!
I can see what you mean if by what you mean as HT bass is low-frequency effects, such as explosions and earthquakes, but consider that most bass in movies is music. Even those who have movies as their only priority should want accurate, high-fidelity bass.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I know you have a pair of Outlaw Ultra X13's that will be setup by the time you get the Phil3's, but somewhere along the way, check out the Phil3's full range. I think they have the most musical bass I have ever heard!
(Some people say it is BS to distinguish music bass vs HT bass, but to my ear, HT bass can get away with being a little more sloppy without offending and needs to reach into lower frequencies! So that is why I make the distinction - the Phil3's do not go as low as your subs, but for most music, they are truly full range).
I agree completely, very few full range speakers can be true substitute for a true sub in HT. Ive heard the good HT sub, sound like crap for music, which I typically chalk up to poor setup vs incompatant sub. I contemplated adding a sub to the new music system as some movie watching would be done with it. While I'm sure that I can get away without sub for most material, I wouldnt won't to if I was close to 50/50 usage. I have a couple of matching subs ready to start production if we feel the need as room volume seems to be more of an issue for HT.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did get to hear them with a Saint-Saens sample my host played, as well as a few other tracks that push lower than some speakers can handle. The Phil 3s made it effortlessly beautiful. I'm hoping I can easily incorporate them without killing the lows of the Phil 3s. I'll have months to experiment with the BMRs too!
My AVR is a Marantz SR6012. Assuming I get it back from this second round of warranty service.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis