sacd player - got it hooked up two ways, one sounds funny.

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
well, to start out, i've got 2 front speakers and a sub, no centre or surrounds. so i hooked up the SACD player by two connections - L/R and the six analogue cables. note that i am playing a 2 channel SACD. when i use the l/r input through the dvd/sacd player, it sounds fine and with full sound. when i use the multi channel input, it seems lacking in bass. no sound is missing, it's not like channels are missing. so does anybody know what the problem could be? it might be something as stupid as not having the subwoofer cable properly plugged in, but i doubt that's the problem.

also, something else in my system is weird. i have my VCR/DVD combo player hooked up to the reciever in the VCR outlet using standard L/R and video cables, functioning soley as a VCR. i have a S-VIDEO cable running from the output jack on the reciever to the television set. when i select vcr on the reciever, the screen goes blank but i can hear the sound. this is probably because you can't convert composite video to s-video, right? does anyone have a solution?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
For the SACD, you may have bass management in your player for the multichannel outputs. What you need to do is level match its outputs for proper bass. To do this, you need to read the manual for your SACD player. Also, "it might be something as stupid as not having the subwoofer cable properly plugged in", so it would be a good idea to double check your connections and make sure that you have the subwoofer output of the SACD player connected to the subwoofer input of the receiver.

However, there is little point in using the multichannel output if you don't have the speakers to use it, so you may as well just listen to the stereo output that currently sounds fine and be done with it, at least until you buy some more speakers.

It seems that your receiver does not convert composite video to S-video. So you need to also connect a composite video cable from your receiver to your TV, and switch to the composite input on your TV when you wish to watch video tapes. Or, you can connect the VCR's video output directly to the TV, and still switch to the composite input on your TV when you wish to watch video tapes.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
bryantm3 - agree with what was last said here, suspect it's a bass mamagement setting in you SACD player.
I had a Sony receiver that had the same problem with composite and S-video cables. You could use one or the other, but not both.

PS Your screen name looks familiar, frequent the G-men forum? If so I suspect you are waiting for a bunch of SACD's to be released like I.:cool:

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
genesis471 said:
bryantm3 - agree with what was last said here, suspect it's a bass mamagement setting in you SACD player.
I had a Sony receiver that had the same problem with composite and S-video cables. You could use one or the other, but not both.

PS Your screen name looks familiar, frequent the G-men forum? If so I suspect you are waiting for a bunch of SACD's to be released like I.:cool:
haha, yes i am expecting the SACDs. the disc i used to test the system out was PG's 'up', which sounds so much better on SACD that i think it might be a different mix. i went back in the speaker menu, and set all the speakers to 'large' and put all the volume levels to 0 (the settings go from -15 to 0 on the front speakers, and -15 to +5 on the subwoofer) and it still sounds weak. so i did the test tones that came with the system, and i had the left and right channels reversed. so i switched the cables, and it still sounds watered down. i think it might be the multi channel input on my reciever, i think it might be putting the signal straight through into the speakers w/o any amp.

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
but seriously, how do i change bass management? i don't think it has this option...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of player do you have? I have a fairly inexpensive Pioneer player (DV-578AS) and it has an on-screen menu to adjust bass management options. It doesn't have an adjustable crossover, but I can set speaker distances and speakers as large or small.

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
oh, i also have it hooked up with a single-line thingy (forgot what it's called.. i just know it's not coaxial or HDMI, and it carries dolby digital, and doesn't carry the SACD signal.)

i just wish they made a single line digital plug for sacd to reciever. the dvd player has to convert it to analogue and it mucks it all up.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
bryantm3 said:
oh, i also have it hooked up with a single-line thingy (forgot what it's called.. i just know it's not coaxial or HDMI, and it carries dolby digital, and doesn't carry the SACD signal.)
See my previous post. And actually, that's just called "coaxial digital audio", so you were basically right.

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
What kind of player do you have? I have a fairly inexpensive Pioneer player (DV-578AS) and it has an on-screen menu to adjust bass management options. It doesn't have an adjustable crossover, but I can set speaker distances and speakers as large or small.
it's a Sony DVP-NS90V

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
See my previous post. And actually, that's just called "coaxial digital audio", so you were basically right.
no no it's not coaxial.. it's this thing with a square plug.. coaxial takes an RCA plug.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Perhaps it is an optical cable you are speaking of? And you already mentioned no SACD transmission over the single cable, just over the analogs.
Not really knowing your player but have you checked the setup menu for bass management?
Also, is the PG sacd your only one? If so it would help to have another sacd as a reference. PG does a great job on his SACD's, but not all SACD's are perfect! Ironically I have his video's on dvd (can't remember the title right now), and if I select DTS the sound is just jacked! If I select DD it plays fine, also 2 channel. Something is likely wrong with the dvd I think.
If you are using a sub I believe you want your speakers set on small, and your sub crossover frequency set at 80hz. Bass below 80 should go to the sub, and above 80 to your speakers.
What kind of receiver by the way?
Hey, nice to see you over here from the other forum. This place should be a sticky, and direct link in the Nick Davis section. lol
Took me a while to get my stuff working correctly for sacd's as well, but once I did.... wholy sh*t!
Can't wait for the G catalog to be released on SACD (or multichannel of somesort)!

Mike

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
i can't find any options for adjusting bass in the dvd player.

M

mak99

Enthusiast
bryantm3 said:
no no it's not coaxial.. it's this thing with a square plug.. coaxial takes an RCA plug.
Yes, that would be the optical cable. You cannot send the SACD signal through that, as far as I know. You're better off sticking to the L+R analog out (and NOT the L+R of the 5.1 outputs).

Unless you're talking about the HDMI connection?

BTW, below is a link to Sony's website and the owner's manual for your player. This might help troubleshooting the problem...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_ViewStatic-Start?page=/static/help/sy_help.isml

bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
there are no sound adjustments for the 5.1 output. i've looked the manual through and through and the dvd player itself. it's probably just because i have it going through L and R only, and that's probably why. but then again, i have a two channel SACD, and it sounds weak on multi channel as well...

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
bryantm3, what model receiver do you have?
i've looked the manual through and through and the dvd player itself. it's probably just because i have it going through L and R only
In the Multichannel setup of the player do you have the speakers set to LARGE? If they are set to small then your player may be cutting the bass to your mains, this could explain the difference between the analogue L/R and the multichannel because I think the bass management only applies to the multichannel outputs and not the analogue L/R outputs.

Your player has 2 sets of Bass management
1 is under 'SPEAKER SETUP' -> 'DVD'
2 is under 'SPEAKER SETUP' -> 'SUPER AUDIO CD'
So make sure you have both setup

cheers:)

Last edited:
bryantm3

bryantm3

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
bryantm3, what model receiver do you have?

In the Multichannel setup of the player do you have the speakers set to LARGE? If they are set to small then your player may be cutting the bass to your mains, this could explain the difference between the analogue L/R and the multichannel because I think the bass management only applies to the multichannel outputs and not the analogue L/R outputs.

Your player has 2 sets of Bass management
1 is under 'SPEAKER SETUP' -> 'DVD'
2 is under 'SPEAKER SETUP' -> 'SUPER AUDIO CD'
So make sure you have both setup

cheers:)
both were already set to large, sub is set to on, volume levels are now at max for all of them. when i go to multichannel input, it sounds okay, but it you can't feel the sound like you usually can, so that's why i think it's the bass. when i switch it to analogue l/r you can immmediately hear the difference.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
bryantm3 said:
~~~~~!!!!!
Post your receiver model as previously requested and then, perhaps, direct answers to your questions may be offered.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis