Rythmik Audio Owner's Thread

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My subwoofer objective has always been to be tight and musical to pair with bookshelf speakers (which I generally prefer to towers). HT is a low concern.

After disappointment with bass bloat from an SVS SB-12plus, I shied away from getting real subwoofers. I set the PEQ on the SB-12plus to act as a high-pass filter at ~30Hz, and the SB-12plus became a reasonable woofer for my bookshelf speakers.

After this experience, I suffered from analysis paralysis until late last year when I decided to finally quit messing around and figure out my sub.

I bought a pair of Rythmik E15HP's because Rythmik's sealed offerings are always mentioned in requests for tight/articulate/highly transient subwoofers; and, (more relevant to getting me over my paralysis) Jmans comparison of the E15HP to the SVS SB13Ultra (scroll to post #102 below). The SB13 Ultra has garnered accolades for all around performance and I related to Jim's description of how the E15HP had more clearly defined transients and the SVS was thicker. I decided the E15HP was probably as good as I was going to get without forfeiting my daughter's college fund.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1471574-rythmik-e15-vs-svs-sb13-ultra-4.html#post24544440

Just after my E15HP's shipped, I discovered a pair of used JL Audio E112's being sold within driving distance. JL Audio is one of those companies I look at the way I look at a Lamborghini - admired, but not a financially viable option! However, between the value of the E112 and buying used, this was an option. So I ended up getting the JL's with the idea that I would return the Rythmiks and have to eat shipping.
The prospect of having the Rythmiks come to my house and not even comparing them was too much so I set both pairs of subs in my room to compare them and did not believe my ears. I gave it lots of music and time before I became fully convinced, but the Rythmiks clearly out-perform the E112's!

The problem that has been the bane of my subwoofer compatibilty is bass bloat, or boominess. It is a loss of control over the signal. The E112's are pretty good at keeping it away, but the Rythmiks are decidedly better! If you have seen the E112 driver, it is obvious that the servo is doing some serious voodoo to keep up!

That said, I do hear it with the E15HP, but rarely. I believe some music is recorded with this boominess, particularly some rap.

In any case I have found my subwoofers.

Why E15HP?
I had eliminated the ported options on the basis of sealed subs generally being tighter.
That left me with F12, D15, E15HP, F15, and F15HP as options.
I will be using this sub with a HT in a large room, and since I was going for broke, I might as well get as much output as I can. I knew the crossover point would be 60Hz or lower, so no significant performance reason to go with a 12". If you calculate it as volume (which only makes sense to me) the F15HP is something like 20-30% (I forget) larger than the E15HP, and the F15HP offers 1dB more output.

Here it is in a nutshell (thanks to Jim Wilson aka Jman for measurements!)
E15HP is below 80dB within ~5ms!

JL Audio is below 80dB within ~20ms! This chart looks great compared to most, but kind of nasty compared to the E15HP. You can see the "Bass Bloom" below ~40Hz.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ya know, I did myself such a dis-service. I think I even wrote early on in my Theater thread that I could take advantage of all the ID sub companies that offer trials. But I got lazy. I fear that finally hearing the Rythmiks is going to taint my taste for the PC-12s.....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice write up KEW. I hear pitch changes in the bass effects in certain movies, something I didn't expect to hear thinking that bass effects were simply site single note. This from Rythmik's entry level sub. Rythmik makes great subs. I'm happy that you were able to solve the bass boom problem.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ya know, I did myself such a dis-service. I think I even wrote early on in my Theater thread that I could take advantage of all the ID sub companies that offer trials. But I got lazy. I fear that finally hearing the Rythmiks is going to taint my taste for the PC-12s.....
Unfortunately, Rythmik does not refund shipping either way. Figure about $2/lb round trip!
You could spend a lot of money trialing subs!

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well then its probably best to just play it safe and get that $30k Magico so I'm sure I like it!

Acoustat

Acoustat

Full Audioholic
With a room that measures 28x15 ~7' avg. ceiling height, and opens into a long kitchen/dining room
I recently got a single F15HP in matte black. Matte black just is more incognito in my opinion
where gloss will reflect the lowest level of light (low lux) and would be extremely difficult
or actually impossible to repair a scuff or scratch which inherently occurs even with dusting high gloss.
Being placed beside my left ESL at the front of the room and under, just outside the tv screen viewing
area, matte black was the only way to go and on sale at that.

The packaging and double boxing was in line with top quality equipment for any hobby or trade. 5 stars indeed.

I've never noticed any heat from the amp after a movie or concert. I didn't buy this sub to work like
a diesel engine anyway, so heat will never be an issue I see, particularly having the higher output amp
which makes a great companion with the 2 amps I'm using.

The amps I'm using comprise of the Denon 4000X AVR driving 3 Martin Logan 4 Ohm speakers
a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40's for surrounds and Motion 50XT for centre, and sub out.
While the Denon is taking care of this great 3.1 surround sound, I'm using the L and R pre outs
fed into my stand alone Denon DE-70 Eq, and from there into my Carver TFM-45 amp to drive
my 4 Ohm power hungry Acoustat Spectra 33 speakers for my front L and R channels/mains.

Upon initial Audyssey run, I had to turn the amp down before it would complete the setup
via an onscreen tutorial and level readout with its' own constant tone applied (sweet :cool: ).
Once that was complete and all the settings had previously been set per instruction sheet
that accompanied the Rythmik sub for typical use that most closely mirrored my use and ideas...
set up was a snap. So far I haven't changed any settings except sub level I raised a tad from
-5.3 or 5.5db to -4.0 in Audyssey settings. LPF for LFE set at 120Hz.

For the subwoofers performance, having never owned a subwoofer before, I have to say is
remarkable, especially given the openness and size of the room(s). For music I am impressed
with it's stealthy blend with my mains, though some, albeit minor, localization does exist, it does not justify purchase of a second subwoofer. Once a rack or entertainment centre is built, not only will this
tidy things up a LOT! it will also allow me to place the subwoofer to the inside of the R main which will
be less hindered to more seats with less wave lengths blocked by a piece of furniture.

For HT I certainly find myself wishing I had made this decision a long time ago.
It is impressive on Jurassic Park BR 3D where T-Rexs' gurgling bass rolling growl
draws you in, making you feel right there with the beast in the scene at the perimeter fence
after the parks electric shuts down and the Ford Explorer is being demolished.
It is quite tight and has never strained. I felt the explosion in Planet of the Apes 3D movie
(not sure which one) where the A bomb exploded near the beginning of the movie
lacked depth, though this could just be a lack of LFE from the recording/producing end of things.
Perhaps a vented sub would carry that particular LFE better. I am in no place to say without
having one to compare, nor heard this on any other system.

Back to music, it is awesome to be able to increase the SPL with my ESLs and play things
that normally required a lower SPL to recreate the bass accurately without discharging.
If I remember right, I set the crossover on my mains to 80Hz as Brian suggested at Rythmik.
He spent over an hour combined with me on the tele trying to persuade me or sell me on the
sealed F15HP over the vented FV15HP. Though 80-90% of my use of this system is for HT now,
I want what music I listen to, to be as accurate as possible, and that is why I think, that Brian
profiled me for the sealed subwoofer. No regrets so far.

3db asked me to post some pics which I will when I get a chance. Been snowed in and
temps below zero, as much as -22ºF last week, so I still have surveillance camera wires
strewn about the living room where my HT is located.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Or you can just drop by and listen to the Rythmiiks!
Me track saw took a dump this week, so I'll be working double time to stay on schedule with a furniture commission. Believe me, with the family (disaster) I have inbound, I'd be sleeping on your couch!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
That's an awful lot of 12" models. Is the market really that large? I'm not so sure, to be honest.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's an awful lot of 12" models. Is the market really that large? I'm not so sure, to be honest.
I can understand the single sealed unit to compete with SVS SB1000 but not the dual version which appears not to offer a significant perfomance advantage.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One thing to point out is these are shipped prices (L12 is ~60 lbs and L22 is ~100lbs)! The F12 is ~75lbs and adds about $65 for shipping.

My best speculation is Rythmik stripped off all of the control flexibility (which is mostly pointless with a modern AVR) and dropped the power a bit, but these subs will still provide the wonderful "tight" of it's sealed brethren as long as you are not over-driving them - Again, my speculation.

I'm not sure why the L22. It is close to the same price as the F12. It is the same configuration Brian used with the F8, so he must like something about stacked dual drivers.

Also should point out that for right now, there is a $50 introductory discount effective for some unspecified "introductory period"!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing to point out is these are shipped prices (L12 is ~60 lbs and L22 is ~100lbs)! The F12 is ~75lbs and adds about $65 for shipping.

My best speculation is Rythmik stripped off all of the control flexibility (which is mostly pointless with a modern AVR) and dropped the power a bit, but these subs will still provide the wonderful "tight" of it's sealed brethren as long as you are not over-driving them - Again, my speculation.

I'm not sure why the L22. It is close to the same price as the F12. It is the same configuration Brian used with the F8, so he must like something about stacked dual drivers.

Also should point out that for right now, there is a $50 introductory discount effective for some unspecified "introductory period"!
The ability to configure the Q response of these subs are thankfully still in place and IHO add more control than an AVR can offer in that respect.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
It is the same configuration Brian used with the F8, so he must like something about stacked dual drivers.
I can let you know in two days. :) I'll be publishing a review on the F8 this Saturday.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis