Rotel RMB-1095 vs Emotiva MPS1

T

TT-

Audioholic Intern
I'm at the point where I can afford to buy a new amps and I'm down with two choices: Rotel vs. Emotiva. Both have had great reviews at audioholics so I'm a bit torn between the two.
Rotel: THX certified, 200watts x 5 channels, great over all ($1999.99).
Emotiva: Not THX certified, 200wattx x 7 channels, $300 cheaper than Rotel ($1699.99).

So I'm asking for people who have had heard Rotel and Emotiva for opinion. I've heard the Rotel at DefinitiveAudio and I loved it. Of course it was hooked up to all Rotel equipments, so it'd be hard to top that if I have mismatched equipment at home.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on one amp vs another?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
One major difference between the two is that the Emotiva offers independent amplifiers for all channels while the Rotel does not. I cannot comment about it making a difference in the real world. Since the mains need a majority of the power depending on where you cross over for bass management, it may not be relevant if you have 8 ohm bookshelf or equivalent speakers all around.

So the question is, what kind of speakers do you intend to drive with the amp?

Last edited:
R

RMK!

Amps

Emotiva will give you a 30 day in-home trial and you only risk shipping charges. Of course, if you live in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan that might be a show stopper.:)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva gear

A guy in the av123.com classifieds section is selling the Emotiva Pre-pro and MPS-1 amp for $2k. Check it out. If you don't need seven channels for the main HT, you can use the extra channels for Zone 2 or to biamp the mains. They also have a stereo amp module that fits in a single slot.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Have any of you guys heard any good or bad things about the new Adcom pre/pro and amplifier. I am thinking of upgrading but don't know whether Adcom, Outlaw Audio, Emotiva, or what!! My setup consists of monitor audio S6 for the front, S2 for the center and SFX for the rears. The S6 are currently being run with a Musical Fidelity 3.2cr integrated amp which I love and using an Onkyo receiver for the rest of the speakers. Any suggestions??

Musical Fidelity 3.2cr integrated
Monitor Audio S6 Fronts, S2 centers, and SFX rears
Onkyo ....700 receiver
Adcom GCD-750 cd player
Monster power line conditioner
Samsung 42in HDTV plasma Screen

T

TT-

Audioholic Intern
agarwalro said:
One major difference between the two is that the Emotiva offers independent amplifiers for all channels while the Rotel does not. I cannot comment about it making a difference in the real world. Since the mains need a majority of the power depending on where you cross over for bass management, it may not be relevant if you have 8 ohm bookshelf or equivalent speakers all around.

So the question is, what kind of speakers do you intend to drive with the amp?
I have a set of hometheater speakers from MonitorAudio, they're 8 ohm floor standing speakers. I guess you can classified them as bookself since they're not that much better/bigger than a bookself. Right now, it's hook up to a Sony ES Receiver (forgot the model) and it's alright. However, it feels like the Receiver doesn't produce enough juice to drive the speakers effectively and I hate to turn the volume too loud only to find it muffled the speakers.

It'd be great to try out the amps to see how much of a difference I'll be able to experience between receiver and amp.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I love my RMB-1095-it handles everything I throw at it, and it works very well with my inefficient Dynaudio Audience 82 and homebuilt Aries speakers. It has a rather sensitive protection circuit, so if you get one, give it plenty of air space so it doesn't overheat and trip the protection circuit during "spirited" playback. This amp is frequently available used on Audiogon for good prices, which is where I got mine. BTW, the 1095 has two of the biggest toroidal transformers I have ever seen in a consumer amp (stacked on top of each other), which is the reason it is so heavy-it actually has casters on the rear of the chassis to ease placement, which by definition is on the bottom of your rack unless you are an Olympic-class weightlifter.

T

TT-

Audioholic Intern
jcPanny said:
A guy in the av123.com classifieds section is selling the Emotiva Pre-pro and MPS-1 amp for $2k. Check it out. If you don't need seven channels for the main HT, you can use the extra channels for Zone 2 or to biamp the mains. They also have a stereo amp module that fits in a single slot.
I browse around in the av123 forum but couldn't find that deal, if you still have it bookmarked somewhere, would you mind PM me? Thanks!

T

TT-

Audioholic Intern
RMK! said:
Emotiva will give you a 30 day in-home trial and you only risk shipping charges. Of course, if you live in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan that might be a show stopper.:)
By the way, I checked out your home theater setup and find that we're using the same brand of speakers. The difference is mine are Radius Series. Beautiful setup you have though!! I wish I could say the same for mine :).

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
It sounds pretty good. All I need now is a good subwoofer. Has anybody heard the Velodyne Minivee or can recommend a good sub!! I don't know whether to buy a new receiver or go the separates way. I want something to sound as good if not better than my musical fidelity integrated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis